Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post
    Hey guys. Im a huge retro gamer who has decided to focus on Nintendo.
    I have been collecting for over 10 years with a break of about 3 years in the middle.
    I collect NES, Famicom, SNES, Super Famicom, N64, Gamecube (is that retro yet) and Game Boy

I was just wondering how many people collect the old systems? I also have a Wii and with the Virtual Console, do you guys bother now?

cheers for your input.

if anyone has photos etc of their collections id love to see them.

2. Post
    I guess I "collect"... I kept all the Nintendo stuff I got as a kid (except for selling my GBC to buy a GBA, and then selling my GBA once I got my SP). I don't really make it a thing to buy every game for a system or anything, but I try to pick up a lot of classics I missed out on at the time

I have a couple of NESs, a SNES, a Super Famicom, N64, couple of Gamecubes, various Gameboys, couple of Wiis and too many DS Lites.

Here's an old pic I posted a few years back in a GP thread. Unfortunately I think the collection has probably doubled in that time Quite a few more games and systems now!

Attached Images

3. Post
    awesome collection dude. so you carry on collecting the old stuff? or you slowing down?
    i will be getting around to take photos at some point, once i clean up my gaming room.

4. Post
    Yeh carrying on collecting I pretty much didn't consider myself to be a collector until a few years on when I realised I had accumulated quite a bit of stuff in my childhood and kept it all in good nick.

If anything I'm speeding up, since I got older and have a paycheck I can afford to splash out a bit I buy more current games now (compared to having <10 games for current systems when I was a kid, $140 for an N64 game killed my pocket money) but I'm also always looking back to buy the oldies too. I tend to just keep a mental list and buy them when I see a good deal on TradeMe or eBay or wherever.

Would be cool to see your photos too. I'd like to take some more current ones but all my gaming stuff is tucked away in a few locations around the house (drawers, cabinets, wardrobes, etc). Can't wait til I have my own place and I can display it all in one room or something, hehe.

5. Post
    here is an old photo. when i moved in. has got bigger since then

Attached Images

6. Post
    This is going to be relevant to me. Recently I have discovered pokemon/other older games that I was never interested in. I played Pokemon Yellow on pc via an emulator and finished it in a couple of days.

I was looking at Nintendos handheld range but I cant decide whats going to be best. The DSi has no GBA slot so cant play old pokemon. Reckon it'd be best just to find a GBA SP somewhere?

7. Post
    ds light plays gba.
    the gb sp is a solid machine and good for playing the older gameboy games

couple of options there.

8. Post
    Another semi relevant Question was it you Peagles that was offering custom NDS lites? is there any way you would be able to do a see through one like the blue one you have there (if it was you of course?) I would pay for the service of course

9. Post
    Yeh go for DS Lite, it plays DS and GBA games and also has a nicer screen than the regular GPA SP (backlit rather than frontlit).

Hey Legin, yeh it was me. I don't have any spare systems at the moment but I can still do case changes provided somebody still sells that particular casing

10. Post
    Tame-Iti wrote:
    This is going to be relevant to me. Recently I have discovered pokemon/other older games that I was never interested in. I played Pokemon Yellow on pc via an emulator and finished it in a couple of days.

I was looking at Nintendos handheld range but I cant decide whats going to be best. The DSi has no GBA slot so cant play old pokemon. Reckon it'd be best just to find a GBA SP somewhere?
    Another option is if you have a gamecube, get the gba attachment.. itll play all your gba stuff.. plus has link cable port, so you can trade off it too.

11. Post
    Peagles wrote:
    when I was a kid, $140 for an N64 game killed my pocket money
    I remember when Mortal Kombat 2 came out for the SNES it was $200. Lucky i manged to pick up a used copy for $120. Bargain!

12. Post
    it is great to see so many retro gamers here. nearly a year ago now i set up a forum dedicated to NZ Retro Gamers. Although i guess im probably not meant to talk about it here. its for buy and sell and showing off your collections and general discussion.

i remember when i started collecting NES games were $4-$5 and SNES $6. those were the days!

13. Post
    RiotOnline wrote:
    i remember when i started collecting NES games were $4-$5 and SNES $6. those were the days!
    I first started collecting back in 2000 when I was at Otago Uni. I remember going to the Cash Converters behind a mall (can't remembering which) every few days. I'd buy every SNES console that appeared on the shelf in a desperate attempt to lower the competition for the games lol.

14. Post
    you tricky bastard

15. Post
    http://img163.imageshack.us/slidesho...=wideshot4.jpg

i took some more images if you care to take a look!

16. Post
    Nice! Where'd you steal all the Mario 25th Anniv stuff from? Lol.

17. Post
    All legit. Off Trademe ($2 for the cardboard posters) or from shops - ask and you shall receive

18. Post
    Nice work! I'm envious; I wish I could have a place to keep all my collection in one place. It's all hidden away in drawers and wardrobes.

*Sigh*... One day...

19. Post
    Wicked collection dude !

20. Post
    Wow... I envy you guys... But kudos! (no sarcasm intended) I was thinking about collecting just the TV consoles. How much do you think NESs, SNESs, and N64s go for nowadays?

But if I get an N64 I might end up playing it more than my Wii xD.

21. Post
    Trade Me is the best place to scope that stuff out. Still bargains to be had...sometimes.

22. Post
    RiotOnline wrote:
    Trade Me is the best place to scope that stuff out. Still bargains to be had...sometimes.
    As long as you be patient I reckon there's deals out there, you just gotta get in before the resellers, and don't fall for inflated bidding wars.

23. Post
    I for one am relieved now that I can get most of the old games and play them on the wii now.

I collected a few NES and SNES and n64 games back in the day (some of which i still havnt got around to getting rid of on trademe yet)

the old NES systems always got pretty dodgy after awhile, refusing to play some games and what not.

Also I was playing through Zelda once on my snes and i guess the backup battery failed cause i lost my saved game.

The worst thing about the n64 was that the controllers really werent made to last, I would love to have a good 4p battle of goldeneye every now and then but the controllers got thrashed so much (thanks maro party) you cant even run in that game anymore.

so now to have all these games at my fingertips and have them work without fail every time, and be able to play them on a new controller (I even got the wii snes controller which is the greatest thing), and not take up any physical space in my house or collect dust.

sorry I wasn't trying to put a damper on the collectors out there I just am glad I can play these old classics now without accumulating piles and piles of old/broken stuff.

24. Post
    I'm quite lucky in that the only save battery I had die was my Pokemon Silver game (this was a pretty common flaw of Gen 2 cos of the real time clock); none of my others with battery save have failed me yet (fingers crossed).

Totally agree with the 64 controllers, but again I'm quite lucky in that we had 4 so only 1 is totally thrashed, 2 are pretty usable and the other is mint. I still wouldn't mind picking up some other mint ones for my collection, but I also picked up some new sticks to put into my old controllers to freshen them up. I think being a bit of handyman with electronics goes hand in hand with collecting retro stuff!

I do own and appreciate a few VC games but I think they're generally pretty overpriced and there isn't much choice, and there's something about having a physical copy of the game that's special to me. It's probably just a collector thing

25. Post
    yeah, being able to replace those sticks would definitely help. I think im probably a bit of a collector by nature too but im just so glad now I can just collect things as digital data instead of having piles of stuff cluttering up around me and impinging on my physical space. Still got old boxes of CD's and whatever that I need to rip one day and then get rid of the bloody things hehe. Ill hang onto the vinyls though I guess.
    I guess you retro game collectors are pretty organised with these things so thats not such an issue for ya!

Now here is an awesome way to organise your retro consoles:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/23/r...-mounted-proj/