1. Post
    Well well well. We knew it was going to happen eventually, just not who was going to initiate it.

I notice NBA isn't on the list, obviously after last years shocking version was pulled from the shelves.

I can see a few benefits from having this service, but unless the games are cheaper for the subscribers then who really wants to pay an additional amount of cash for what ends up sounding like a glorified "LIMITED EDITION" that EA have been pimping the last year or two. The earlier release dates sound good, up to 7 days, but you still haver to buy the game at retail when it's released otherwise the version is void. Besides, 7gb downloads for full games in New Zealand, ugh, it's not like we have large data caps like most of the modern world.

The DLC being able to be carried over to future versions is a nice feature, but that just proves it can be done and in my eyes, should've been done earlier. What needs to be looked at is the cost of the DLC, the discount the subscriber gets and how much the content would be each year.

Personally I can live without anymore EA sports games if this is the way it's going to go, I just hope this sort of service doesn't carry over into their other genres like any future Skate, Dead Space, or any new IPs like Shadow of the Damned.

2. Post
    I thought this would be about paying a monthly sub to play online, but its not.

3. Post
    That is what Activision would do - No pay, no play (Although MS have managed to convince everyone it is worth it :\).

This, at face-value, appears like a fairly decent subscription for those who play these titles often, especially those who buy DLC.

Its similar to PSN+ where they're not stopping everyone enjoy what has always been free but they're adding specific features and discounts to make the sub worth it.

4. Post
    I can see its value if you do buy multiple sports games each year and if you're on XBL Silver or vanillaPSN, but as soon as you mix XBL Gold and/or PSN+ into the mix then the overall yearly fees just goes up and up.

I dunno, maybe I'm just an old dog and have fond memories of how gaming used to be, it just seems that at the end of the day, I know it's all about money but I am sure that a few of these companies are a lot more well off than they used to be given some of the more popular games and amount of sales.

Perhaps if some companies didn't blow a shitload of cash on glorified launch events with high profile celebs appearing (where most of the people who can afford games get given free shit and unlimited booze anyway) or pay for people to travel halfway around the world to do an 'unbiased' preview *snicker* then they would save money on yearly costs. Yes, I'm jk about this paragraph.

5. Post
    it looks like it could be worth it if you bought a couple of sports games and the dlc each year. also nice having option to download the game before it hits retail.

6. Post
    New EA Sport Subscription Service Benefits
    Free and exclusive content
    Love it when ads do that

7. Post
    I reckon the EA sports lines are way overdue to move to a subscription basis. Update with new teams/players/uniforms/rules as needed and patch like crazy to try and get it as good as possible rather than a new game every year or two.

Then you could even start trying to get online tournaments running. Imagine an MMO NBA - you could have a player with each team and scheduled matches etc. Would take a bit of ingenuity to get it working, but if it was pay-to-play there should be plenty of money to sink into it.

8. Post
    Neoptolemus wrote:
    I reckon the EA sports lines are way overdue to move to a subscription basis. Update with new teams/players/uniforms/rules as needed and patch like crazy to try and get it as good as possible rather than a new game every year or two.

Then you could even start trying to get online tournaments running. Imagine an MMO NBA - you could have a player with each team and scheduled matches etc. Would take a bit of ingenuity to get it working, but if it was pay-to-play there should be plenty of money to sink into it.
    The more I think about it the more I'm kinda warming up to the idea, especially the first bit you wrote about constant updates and possibly releasing a game every second year, but you know that won't happen. (Use to always joke about spending $100 on a roaster update) When games like Madden are selling 6million+ a year there is no way I could see them skipping every other year when it's pretty much their guaranteed golden egg.

I generally try to buy only one sports game from particular genres maybe once a generation, I have a Fifa 09, Madden 10 and haven't had a Tiger Woods game since I think 09, possibly 07.

9. Post
    Im not too phased. It's not a requirement so it's all good. I never downloaded the updated rosters on FIFA 11 (iirc you had to pay but it was per team) and only used the creation centre once or twice for ease of actually creating players.

I understand what they're doing but because it's not compulsory it's nothing to get up set over. And if you're a HARDCORE Sports fiend and HAVE to have the latest and greatest, this will be right up your alley.

10. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I thought this would be about paying a monthly sub to play online, but its not.
    Same, doesn't sound like they're holding back anything decent.

11. Post
    Thread title is misleading.

/leaves.

12. Post
    wtf, now i have to pay money to update player stats and transfers in FIFA?

FU EA!

going back to pro evo