Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

1. Exclamation
    At long last the final version of Spellhold Studios epic uber mod has been released.

The scope of this mod is truly mind boggling. Not only does it combine BG1 and 2 it adds dozens of tweaks, game play additions, NPCs, quests, bug fixes, widescreen support, new animations, and banter packs it also incorporates the best unofficial expansions, and user made content. There are not only new voices for the PC, but voices for existing and new NPCs.

The BIG World Project

For gamers of old, the tale of Minsc and Boo was an epic one; where men became legends and hamsters became giants. Though that chapter of BioWare appears to be closed, many still dream of the day were one can relive the quality of Baldur’s Gate with today’s technology. Well my friends, that day is today. Through the dedicated work Spellhold Studios, the BiG World Project injects life into the classic by installing so many mods with ease that Boo would be left speechless.

From the well done German modification Tales of Anegh that bridges Baldur’s Gate with Icewind Dale, to the modernizing of the game with a Widescreen option, there is something for everyone here. Collected carefully from authors around the world not only does this fix every bug known to tread The Sword Coast, it also expands the game with custom quests, area, companions spells, equipment and visuals.

If Aerie and Jaheria are growing old on you, there are plenty of new companions to bring along. Auren Aseph, a twenty year old fighter from the town of Bereghost who happens to have a small feud with Nalia can join you on your adventure. Having her and Nalia in the same group will cause much bickering to ensue. The work put into companions alone is simply staggering and shows how devoted the Baldur’s Gate community is. Here is a sample of some of the companions you could travel with:

Indira, an elven lawful-good Fighter/Mage
    Mulgore, a chaotic-evil Half-Orc Barbarian
    Xavia, a neutral-evil elf Female Assassin
    Finch Bloodwhiffler, a neutral-good gnome cleric of Deneir
    Iylos Mirdan, a neutral good human Monk

Many of these companions feature their own voice-acting, personal storylines, romances which make them all worth the price of admission (nothing). The banter packs are also a subtle addition to the game that add more personality and story between the companions (both original and modded) helping flesh out The Sword Coast. Watch who you party with, Minsc might give you a swift kick in the morals!

We haven’t spoken of the custom quests that can be added. The Darkest Day is the unofficial expansion pack for Baldur’s Gate 2, adding 5 major quests, 40 side quests, 10 NPCs, over 30 new creatures and more, giving another 30 hours of play time. As mentioned earlier, the Tales of Angeh is a splendid add-on that bridges the lore of Baldur’s Gate with Icewind Dale. The voice-acting is in German, but don’t let that deter you from playing this adventure. Below is a list of some of the additional quests:

Region of Terror has Drizzt and his companions as playable NPCs through new and old quests.
    Dark Horizons brings an organization intent on hunting you, discover their identity before it’s too late.
    The Tortured Soul will have you meet a stranger in one of the crypts in Athkalta’s graveyard.
    Sylmar Battlefield has you aid a nation of elves who are fighting off an invasion on their holy grounds.

These alone offer over 50 hours of gameplay and they are just a small sample of what is offered. There are plenty of quest add-ons that add major story arcs, small side quests, areas to explore, NPCs to meet and more. Never Ending Journey 2 is a completely different game with no connection what-so-ever to the Baldur’s Gate 2 plot. Go through the north Portal in Irenicus’ dungeon and you’ll travel through space and time to Icewind Dale one hundred years before the main story, Great Scott!

I could go on about the additional content, or the difficulty tweaks to push your skills, or the additional items and more but, I’ll never finish writing this. What makes this modification so extraordinary is the ability to choose what you want installed. You can take the time and get into the details of which modifications you want or select versions such as “Recommended” or “Tactic”, and it will do the hard work while you listen to Minsc and Boo sound clips until it finishes (that’s what I did).

The process is long and you may encounter some obstacles. Spellhold Studios has an installation guide that will help make the process easier for new-comers. For owners of the digital version from GOG.com, there is a digital version installation guide which should solve any issues that Spellhold Studios’ may have missed. This Mega-Mod is the prime example of PC gaming at its finest, so butt-kick for goodness and give Spellhold Studios a donation for all the hard work they have done.
    Download here

The install take a VERY LONG TIME (9 hours for me), but the mod will dl the content you need and install it without any need for you to pick and choose. The install program is very small, but it will grab whatever it needs as it installs. Actual dl size from 200-500MB . The new combined installed game will be around 15gigs due to unpacking and modifying core game files.

You can choose from 5 preset installs (all documented), but you can customise from there are well if there are any things you dont want, or extras you want to put in.

I had no issues at all with the install process and its amazing to say the least.

If you ever wanted an excuse to go back to Baldur's Gate here it is.

No bugs, glitches, freezes, broken quests, bung dialog, or corrupt gfx to be found.

Easily the most impressive mod I have ever seen. The new expanded world map IS F**KEN HUGE!!!

heres a bigger version 5,200 × 4,095

for comparison here is the world map for Baldur's Gate II

This is why PC gaming is king.

Long live the Modders!

2. Post
    oh wow, thats insane. Really enjoyed BG1 back in the day when I was just a wee lad.

3. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    oh wow, thats insane. Really enjoyed BG1 back in the day when I was just a wee lad.
    You have no idea. The amount of additional content in immense it covers every aspect of the game. Add the big fixes, dialog fixes, rule tweaks, spell fixes, and all the rest of the stuff you dont see it's an amazing project. Spellhold are amazing, while they didnt make all the content they've sorted it, amended it where needed and made it easy for anyone to use. I am not easily impressed but this really, really blew my mind.

4. Post
    Holy. Crap. I had no idea this even existed.
    I hate you so much Cryocore >.< There goes my social life for the next year and a bit.

5. Post
    FlipSide_nz wrote:
    Holy. Crap. I had no idea this even existed.
    I hate you so much Cryocore >.< There goes my social life for the next year and a bit.
    I know. I just completed the games not too long ago and I am back again already. Got some very quizzical (and rather judgmental) looks at home.

6. Post
    Sounds like exactly the excuse I need for another playthrough

7. Post
    These germans love their hardcore mods. Pity some of the voice acting is german (or so it says)

Very impressive though. Will have a more in-depth look tomorrow. BG was a bit average, but BG2 and its expansion is brilliant. Kensai FTW.

8. Post
    Stupid question, but do you require BG1 and BG2 for this, or is it included in the download??

Actually never mind it probably wouldn't be very fair on my kid if I installed this......

9. Post
    I definitely have my BG2+Throne of Bhall discs but the original....hmm. Probably gone.

10. Post
    bugger, i doubt i have my original CDs , it will be an epic mission just to locate it ..

11. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    bugger, i doubt i have my original CDs , it will be an epic mission just to locate it ..
    www.gog.com

12. Post
    Never finished BG2 myself or its expansion although I was there when a friend completed BG2 which is why I was cool with not doing it myself, I think this might just be reason to play it all through myself

Cheers bro, keen as hell.

13. Post
    Great Odins Raven!, BG 1/2 still remain some of my all time fav games! For finding and sharing this!

14. Post

Minsc wrote:
    Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

15. Post

Attached Images

16. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Bobs wrote:
    I definitely have my BG2+Throne of Bhall discs but the original....hmm. Probably gone.
    Pretty sure I've got

sitting at home somewhere from memory it folds out and there are like 6 CDs lol. I've got the expansion pack laying round to.

On top of it there will be

I'm going home tonight for a short time to get some weights. Might pick up those packs if I can find them while I'm there.

17. Post
    Yeah I'm gonna hunt down by BG discs next time I'm at my parents. Not confident of them working to be honest. There was about 6 of them I think? And that's like 12 years ago. Plus the expansion.

18. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Yeah I'm gonna hunt down by BG discs next time I'm at my parents. Not confident of them working to be honest. There was about 6 of them I think? And that's like 12 years ago. Plus the expansion.
    6 original discs in a fold out case.

Pretty sure it was two discs high; was pretty awesome.

I'm pretty happy that myself and my dad managed to keep all our old gaming gear and games.

19. Post
    Oh **** me! I just got all teary eyed cryocore

20. Post
    EDIT: Just a quick refference of what is needed;

- Baldur's Gate 1 + Tales of the Sword Coast Expansion Pack
    - Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhall Expansion Pack
    - BiG World Setup
    - 30 gigabytes of hard drive space (It can get quite large)

21. Post

22. Post
    My God.

23. Post
    Downloading Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

24. Post
    unless those boxes come with all the sweet shit the original boxed copies did I'd much rather save $$ and buy off gog.com