Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Post

Home NAS

I have a bunch of media and misc files I want to be able to share between any PC at home.

At the moment most of my media is duplicated on my HTPC and my main rig for flexibility but I realise it's a stupid way of doing it and I'd also like to be able to consume this stuff on my laptop or iPhone sometimes.

I want to store it all on one machine that's on 24/7 and can be accessed by everything. Ideally this machine will be quiet when in use and smart enough to spin down the hdd's when not in use and be virtually silent.

Can anyone recommend a decent pre-made NAS solution that's reliable and expandable? I would be looking at 2TB to begin with.

If not is there any sort of cookie cutter build at the moment in terms of case/motherboard/CPU/OS etc. that can be sourced and put together easily that will out-last and out-perform any pre-built box?

Cheers

2. Post
    A couple of guys at work just bought the Synology DS411j, with the high dollar they managed to get it landed in NZ from Amazon for $550, the cheapest on PriceSpy is $950. Both the guys at work are pretty impressed with it. I had a quick look and the build quality seems reasonable and reviews on the internet are favourable.

I would avoid the cheaper D-Link and NetGear units, performance is pretty average.

3. Post
    Freenas is pretty decent with most hw.

4. Post
    PANiC_nz wrote:
    A couple of guys at work just bought the Synology DS411j, with the high dollar they managed to get it landed in NZ from Amazon for $550, the cheapest on PriceSpy is $950. Both the guys at work are pretty impressed with it. I had a quick look and the build quality seems reasonable and reviews on the internet are favourable.

I would avoid the cheaper D-Link and NetGear units, performance is pretty average.
    Thanks that looks exactly like what I want, I take it with these appliance NAS boxes you need to add your own hdd's?

Wally Simmonds wrote:
    Freenas is pretty decent with most hw.
    I just had a look at this and it's got me itching to do a custom build now, thanks

Is there any current m-atx mb/cpu/memory combo people would recommend for a NAS box? Something based on a low power i3 or low power AMD chip?

5. Post
    dstruktiv wrote:
    I just had a look at this and it's got me itching to do a custom build now, thanks

Is there any current m-atx mb/cpu/memory combo people would recommend for a NAS box? Something based on a low power i3 or low power AMD chip?
    I think most retailers will do deals with the off-the-shelf NAS's and provide the drives at an additional cost, but by default they do not come with drives. I reckon throw in 3-4 2TB WD Greens in a RAID5 array and migrate to larger drives later.

If going the DIY route Id look into one of the AMD ITX E350 boards, more than powerful enough.

6. Post
    Hows this looking (Will also sort 4GB of memory for it):

Will add more hdd's as I need them (Case will fit 8 ). And looking at using FreeNAS with ZFS as I like the software approach and it seems to have matured enough for home use. Could also look at doing RAID-5 with whatever file system people recommend (Ext3?) but would prefer not to be bound to my specific motherboards raid controller and not interested in buying a dedicated raid controller.

7. Post
    I'd personally build a custom built box with either WHS 2011 or FreeNAS.

8. Post
    I wouldn't trust windows software raid as far as I can throw it. One disgraceful power-down and you'll lose everything. Either get ZFS or buy a proper controller.

9. Post
    dstruktiv wrote:
    Hows this looking (Will also sort 4GB of memory for it):

Will add more hdd's as I need them (Case will fit 8 ). And looking at using FreeNAS with ZFS as I like the software approach and it seems to have matured enough for home use. Could also look at doing RAID-5 with whatever file system people recommend (Ext3?) but would prefer not to be bound to my specific motherboards raid controller and not interested in buying a dedicated raid controller.
    This is almost my exact NAS set up, except I went with the Lian LI PC-Q08B (holds 6 drives) with three 2TB drives to start off with.

I haven't installed an OS yet, but I'm looking to go ZFS with either FreeNAS 8 or Solaris Express 11 with Napp-It.

10. Post
    Thinking of building a similar NAS, let us know how that hudson board goes with FreeNas or Solaris.

11. Post
    I ended up buying the Highpoint Rocket Raid 2720 SATA3 SAS controller for my NAS.

Pretty impressive for a standalone controller, would defiantly recommend it.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_rr272x.htm

12. Post
    Razorfoot wrote:
    I ended up buying the Highpoint Rocket Raid 2720 SATA3 SAS controller for my NAS.

Pretty impressive for a standalone controller, would defiantly recommend it.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_rr272x.htm

it says low profile, do you get a normal profile bracket with it? BTW where abouts you get it from?

13. Post
    It does have a bracket included. I got it imported from the states

14. Post
    At what cost?

15. Post
    i paid a little over $300, but thats cost

16. Post
    Razorfoot wrote:
    i paid a little over $300, but thats cost
    You can get a Dell Perc 5i off ebay for under $200NZD delivered, granted its got no warranty etc but it would be a decent alternative.

17. Post
    In my personal experience highpoint stuff is trash. Wouldn't trust any critical data with it. Way easier to pick up a PERC or a LSI M5015/17 PCI-e card for ~200, includes BBWC and everything.

18. Post
    I'm using a Dell Perc 6i with Openindiana - for some reason solaris and freebsd didn't like the dell perc 5i's I got (however, this may be because I'm running it under Esx )

Openindiana and nappit ftw

19. Post
    Just ordered from Computer Lounge:

1x ASUS E35M1-I AMD Zacate AMD Hudson M1 DDR3-1066 SATA3 Mini ITX
    1x Antec Neo Eco 520W PSU (No Power Cable)
    1x Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Kit CL9
    1x ASUS DRW-24B3LT 24X DVD Writer LightScribe SATA
    2x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EARX 64MB Cache SATAIII

And from PlayTech:

1x PC-Q08B - LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX

I was originally going to go with 4GB of memory but a little research tells me 8GB is considered the "minimum" for ZFS (For decent performance anyway).

Also thanks to spoon. I switched from the PC-V354B to the PC-Q08B as I like the look of it better and the single 120MM at the front will be quieter than the 2x80MM of the V354.

I'll be installing FreeNAS on to a 4GB USB stick which I'll stick to the motherboard internally.

The motherboard/CPU combo is completely passive so I'll under-volt all fans and do some decent cable management for airflow and should be as silent as possible. It will be interesting to see how FreeNAS/ZFS handles spinning down the drives when not in use hopefully I can teak it a bit.

All up cost was $1040 for 4TB (Advertised) usable storage with room to add 4 more 2TB drives as needed.

Once the parts arrive early this week I'll continue this thread as a build log.

20. Post
    Nice man!

I suggest you get a third drive if you're planning on using ZFS. You'll want to use the third drive as redundancy for the other two in a raidz array (think RAID5).

21. Post
    spoon. wrote:
    Nice man!

I suggest you get a third drive if you're planning on using ZFS. You'll want to use the third drive as redundancy for the other two in a raidz array (think RAID5).
    Awesome thanks for that just ordered a 3rd 2TB drive

22. Post
    If you want 'baller status' you can get a ~32GB SSD for ZFS caching

23. Post
    Update us on any tests you do with FreeNas, I changed to 7.xxx version as it had more features.

Been playing with various other distro's on a vm to get the feel of it and so far very much like Nexenta Core and napp it for the front end web Gui.

Didnt reallise you can use Napp it on Indiana so will try this as well due to better CIFS support.

24. Post
    Well some parts started arriving today

2 x Apple TV's - One for inside and one for my room. Tiny and silent and at $170 each they're the perfect streaming device.

Immediately jail broken with XBMC installed and set to auto-start:

And the case arrived from PlayTech (Sorry for bad quality) - It's a lot wider than I realised but absolute top notch quality as always with Lian-Li gear:

All the other NAS parts should arrive tomorrow.

25. Post
    Looking good, Im in the process of setting something up like this myself only using WHS as the media server.