1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    xbox? meh

PC BABY!

3. Post
    May want to mention that this only applies to consoles.

As it has worked for many years now, selling PC games that have these MP components require the user to sell the account's login details as the cd-ley can't be used twice.

4. Post
    Jesus Christ, this news is like several months old.

5. Post
    Holy shit! this doesn't concern me at all.

6. Post
    PS. their rationale is bullshit though, the original buyer covered the "server space" LOL.

They should just man up and admit they want a cut of the secondary market or at least to discourage its sales.

7. Post
    whats the difference between:

guy buys game, plays for 2 years using servers

and

guy buys game, plays for 1 year, sells on to another guy who plays for 1 year?

in terms of them losing money?

it's not like selling the game lets both people play it =/

8. Post
    Malkav wrote:
    whats the difference between:

guy buys game, plays for 2 years using servers

and

guy buys game, plays for 1 year, sells on to another guy who plays for 1 year?

in terms of them losing money?

it's not like selling the game lets both people play it =/
    Because the servers will have to create a new user account to track stats and what not. A trivial and automated process though (and probably only a couple of mbytes of space), so I doubt that's their real reason.

9. Post
    The damn strange thing about online passes is that they're region locked - i.e if I buy a region-free game in the USA, I can't activate the online pass with a NZ account.

10. Post
    "Hopefully people understand why. It's not to punish people. To us it's compensation."
    I find it quite funny tho that it's dice backed by EA are saying they need more money.

11. Post
    The whole things a load of sh*t....

"Hopefully people understand why. It's not to punish people. To us it's compensation."
    Can guarantee it won't cost $2 or anything... which would more then cover any delusional costs they think they incur. More like $10-$20.

Blatantly lying to its consumers. It's to directly punish the 2nd hand games market.

12. Post
    clelcaz wrote:
    Blatantly lying to its consumers. It's to directly punish the 2nd hand games market.
    How are they lying? It is compensation, how much do the devs/publishers see every time a second hand copy is sold? Zip, nada, bupkiss.

13. Post
    FlipSide_nz wrote:
    How are they lying? It is compensation, how much do the devs/publishers see every time a second hand copy is sold? Zip, nada, bupkiss.
    It's not to punish people.
    It is to punish people.

They want the 2nd hand market to be unappealing...

If it was 'compensation' it would be a percentage of, or equal to the costs they incur.

You cant claim compensation, and collect blatant revenue on top of the $0.20c compensation required.

An eye for an eye is 'compensation'. An eye for 2 eyes is blatant revenge and punishment for what happened.

14. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    ^

15. Post
    clelcaz wrote:
    They want the 2nd hand market to be unappealing...
    Yea - this sucks. One thing that makes me feel better about paying ~$100 per title is the fact that I can expect to sell it on at a later date...

..not that I ever do!

16. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Er, no. Not confirmed before.

17. Post
    Publishers are mostly going after the 2nd hand market because its Gamestop's/EB's primary bread and butter.

Who blackmails publishers to get special treatment, eg exclusive pre-order DLC? Gamestop. Who are probably the cause for jacked regional pricing of Steam games in Australasia? EB Games. Who controls the biggest selling gaming print magazine on the planet? Gamestop with their Game Informer.

18. Post
    You missed out the whole biggest gaming media website IGN/Gamestop partnership deal as well.