Adventures with a Weber BBQ

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 3279

1. Post
    Another smoked spatchcocked chicken today, this time with Al Brown's rub instead of memphis dust. Must say I like Al Brown's rub more on chicken than pork.

Tried an NZ approximation of smores after dinner on the leftover coals. Browned marshmellows squeezed between two chocolate wheaten biscuits. Super sweet and hard to eat without getting sticky!

2. Post
    I recently used Traegars Pork and Poultry Rub on Ribs. Was amazing. Best Rub I've tried.

3. Post
    so, I am thinking about doing a BBQ this weekend, after some inspiration. I feel like guacamole/mexican type something something.

I don't want anything that takes 18 hours if possible.

Ready - Set - Go!

4. Post
    networkn wrote:
    so, I am thinking about doing a BBQ this weekend, after some inspiration. I feel like guacamole/mexican type something something.

I don't want anything that takes 18 hours if possible.

Ready - Set - Go!
    Pulled beef cheek tacos? I generally cook for 8 1/2 hours @ 225F, wrap in foil after 4 hrs.

5. Post
    Beef cheeks and/or pork cheeks get my vote too. Pork cheeks are like a cheaper (and fattier) version of pork belly. They melt down quite nicely. The gelatin factor in cheeks makes them extra gooey, if you're into that texture. You'll need a heapin' helpin' of lime juice to cut through the richness.

6. Post
    Decided I'd go in a slightly different direction and make Beef Chilli USA Style. Just need to decide on what cut of meat I want to throw on the Weber low and slow to smoke? Any recommendations?

7. Post
    Short ribs or brisket I reckon

8. Post
    Anyone got a source for cheap heavy duty wide foil for wrapping BBQ? Ideally in Auckland.

9. Post
    Got mine from Gilmours in Palmy. I see there's a couple in Auckland. The width really helps for brisket.

10. Post
    I buy one roll every 5 years or so. Lol.

11. Post
    So I made the Chilli. Did it with Chorizo, Bolar Roast, Lardons, Beef Mince and Beef Cheek.
    Turned out pretty good. About a 4 for heat (easy to add more to individual plates). Took a long time by the time I smoked the Beef Cheek and Bolar roast the day before, but the different textures were welcome additions.

I am sad we don't get a better selections of Chillis in NZ I am contemplating growing some myself. Even Farro has a poor choice of them.

One thing that annoys me is when the type of chilli isn't denoted on a packet.

12. Post
    So I found a guy on YT called Mad scientist who blew my mind by throwing his Chicken Wings into boiling water for 7 minutes before BBQing them. Takes the question of if they are at a safe temp away once and for all, and means you are really only putting them on the BBQ for smoke and colour/texture. I am sure some purists would rail against such a thing, however, I feel like unlike ribs being boiled which is a sin, boiling wings isn't likely to do away with the favour to the same degree.. Anyone else got any comments on this? @kevinl ?

13. Post
    We often sous vide wings before deep frying them. I feel like you'd lose flavour if you boiled them.

14. Post
    Who really cares what popular opinion is. Do it, if it isn't to your taste, don't do it anymore. Ribs included.

As far as chillis go I'm in the same boat. I cannot find fresh Japaneno's anywhere. Your best bet is to grow them yourself, although now is not the best time to be planting out. I'm about to harvest my small crop of carolina reapers and fatalii chillis. This is my first time growing (outside of pots in the kitchen) and the plants were quite successful so I think next year I'll be putting more in the ground.

15. Post
    When I was in wellington More Wilsons had quite a good range of chills including jalapenos. Growing my own though, smoking some bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers today

16. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    We often sous vide wings before deep frying them. I feel like you'd lose flavour if you boiled them.
    Does it make much difference? or are you imparting flavor in with them? does the coating stick well? Deep frying wings is normally pretty easy not like they come out dry unless you wayyy over cook.

17. Post
    I often steam wings for 10 minutes or so to render some fat off before baking them, foulproof way to get crispy wings in the oven.

18. Post
    I feel that chicken wings are small enough to cook without poaching them.

19. Post
    I feel like sous vide has three key advantages:
    a) it breaks down connective tissue so the wings are more tender/moist/succulent
    b) it cooks the meat, so you don't have to worry so much about frying them sufficiently (and hence risk overcooking/drying out) and can just focus on getting the coating/skin crisp
    c) There is minimal loss of liquid and flavour

Boiling would achieve b) but probably not a) or c). Similar comments would apply for ribs - sure, some people do it, but none of the competitive BBQers.

20. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Who really cares what popular opinion is. Do it, if it isn't to your taste, don't do it anymore. Ribs included.

As far as chillis go I'm in the same boat. I cannot find fresh Japaneno's anywhere. Your best bet is to grow them yourself, although now is not the best time to be planting out. I'm about to harvest my small crop of carolina reapers and fatalii chillis. This is my first time growing (outside of pots in the kitchen) and the plants were quite successful so I think next year I'll be putting more in the ground.
    I really struggle with the time and attention things like plants need. If my kids didn't grow like weeds, they might be dead. I'd happily pay for someone else to grow them lol (The chillis, my kids I'm ok with).

Farro in various stores have jalapenos fresh. I bought some in the weekend.

Specifically I'd like to track down some anahiem chillis and Poblanos and perhaps serranos. I am pretty sure I Farro had those as well, but I didn't know if they were suitable for my dish until afterward.

21. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    I feel like sous vide has three key advantages:
    a) it breaks down connective tissue so the wings are more tender/moist/succulent
    b) it cooks the meat, so you don't have to worry so much about frying them sufficiently (and hence risk overcooking/drying out) and can just focus on getting the coating/skin crisp
    c) There is minimal loss of liquid and flavour

Boiling would achieve b) but probably not a) or c). Similar comments would apply for ribs - sure, some people do it, but none of the competitive BBQers.
    I have a sous vide machine. I am trying to find a decent compromise in time invested vs result. In the weekend I think I would have easily invested 8 hours between getting ingrediants and smoking the various vegetables and meats and then actually cooking the chilli, and whilst it was great Chilli, between this and cleanup, I am fighting a little bit with the investment of nearly a whole day for a dish, esp as it split over 2 days.

How long do you Sous Vide your wings for?

22. Post
    About an hour. We do multiple bags/portions at a time and freeze, then defrost when needed.

23. Post
    networkn wrote:
    How long do you Sous Vide your wings for?
    I haven't (it was i.e.awesome) but it depends on the texture you want - e.g. 1 hour @60-65C would be adequate, but say 3-4 hours with a bit of oil/fat would give you more of a confit-type experience.

24. Post
    Nice, might have to try sous vide some wings along side some normal ones next time and see if the difference. So many things to cook at the moment.. got the wood oven back up and running this week so be doing some more pizza experimenting again.

25. Post
    Opted for 71c for 2 hours and a bit. Hopefully that should be enough to cook the chicken prior to BBQ'ing it.