Adventures with a Weber BBQ

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)

1. Post
    Ha, don't worry man it'll still be nice, but maybe not as "pullable" as you'd like. I usually just do shoulder to a standard roast temp and carve it. Still if it's got a bit of fat throughout the meat it might work as PP, but it may be a bit dry if you take it to 90c.

Foil at the end, yes. If it has skin and you want crackling I'd remove that first though.

As Deadm3at says you could also try injecting. I've done this on a few cooks before and it is pretty cool. It does add a bit of moisture and flavour depending on what you inject. I only bother on special occasions though.

Don't forget pics!

2. Post
    Ok. We'll see what happens!

I'll take a pic of the cut... maybe I did get a piece that was slightly higher up. who knows... (obviously not me! )

I'm also changing the rub recipe. The last rub recipe I used was ok but not that strong. This time I'm using "[b]Al's Rub[b]" Recipe from Al Browns new book Stoaked (thanks santa!).

Watch this space!

EDIT: would it help if I left a bit of fat ontop of the meat? Last time I trimmed all the fat off after taking the skin off

3. Post
    Yep leave the fat on

I got Stoked for xmas too Keen to see that rub in action!

4. Post
    Grolim wrote:
    Yep leave the fat on

I got Stoked for xmas too Keen to see that rub in action!
    I'm omitting the chilli cause a few guests I will be having think cracked pepper is hot! :S

I made the basil & mint Mayo from that book and it is amazing!!! (and I just used a jar of mayo, didn't make my own) You tried anything out of the book yet? How'd it go?

5. Post
    I usually have to go easy on the chilli too.

Wanted to try the chicken wings but saw they needed a 3 day marinade and wasn't organised to do it. Have been meaning to give a few things a shot in there though. Book was just a good all round read as well.

6. Post
    Anyone tried making Peri Peri Chicken? Made this one the other day, was pretty good.

Got some south african charcoal from bunnings the smokey flavour is REALLY strong. Not sure I like it that strong. What are the heat beads like? economical to use?

I saw a guy spray water on his bbq to instantly cool off the charcoal to reuse next time, anyone else do that?

7. Post
    gingeralenz wrote:
    Anyone tried making Peri Peri Chicken? Made this one the other day, was pretty good.

[video]

Got some south african charcoal from bunnings the smokey flavour is REALLY strong. Not sure I like it that strong. What are the heat beads like? economical to use?

I saw a guy spray water on his bbq to instantly cool off the charcoal to reuse next time, anyone else do that?
    "So good it's retarded" ... lol

Thanks for sharing mate! I'm deffinately going to give that recipe a try!

I love Peri Peri but none of my friends like hot food and my girlfriend (who does like hot food) is a vegetarian. I've made quite a few vegitarian stews! ... gotta use birds eye chillies though!!!

... also never tried brining before. Keen to give that a go sometime soon too!

EDIT: Nah I don't spray the coals with water, I just shut all the vents and leave it. Seems to kill the coals fairly quick as I always have leftover coals the next day. Coals aren't cheap!

8. Post
    The brining seems to make the meat more juicy and tender. With the periperi do a double batch of the sauce and baste the crap out of it. Periperi tofu for the mrs?

I have some yellow tree chillis (nicknamed the Gringo Killer) not quite ready yet though. What you reckon Habanero might be a good choice for peri peri? read its quite fruity, perhaps too hot.

9. Post
    I'll have to watch that vid at home, can't view at work. I do like peri peri, but also don't get to have hot food very often due to family not being into it.

Brining is great, it really adds moisture to dry lean meat like chicken, turkey, and some pork cuts. This is a great post on brining on the aussie bbq forums I use quite a bit http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73 The rest of the forum is great too.

I've used that South African charcoal before as well. It burns nice and hot and does give good flavour. But it burns out fast and can't really be re-used as it crumbles. Good for a quick steak though.

I also just close the vents to extinguish the coal. BBQ is usually dead cold an hour later. Heat beads are by far the best type of briquettes for re-usability.

10. Post
    Anyone wanna give me some brining tips to improve this 3kg lump of pork I got to cook on saturday?

I could brine it over night tonight, then season it tomorrow night and cook it the next day? Does that sound ok?

EDIT: that post also suggests 4 hours of bringing per kg of meat. is this a maximum time? ... so 12hours for the pork right?

11. Post
    Merkinz wrote:
    Anyone wanna give me some brining tips to improve this 4kg lump of pork I got to cook on saturday?

I could brine it over night tonight, then season it tomorrow night and cook it the next day? Does that sound ok?

I wouldn't brine it, tbh. it comes out all hammy but not in a good way.

12. Post
    linkdown wrote:
    I wouldn't brine it, tbh. it comes out all hammy but not in a good way.
    NOTED!

... would you recommend it for chicken?

13. Post
    Chicken is ok to brine. If you've ever had nandos for example, their chicken is always tender and juicy because they brine it.

I prefer not to though personally. If you want to make it tender and juicy, stuff it with something juicy. I usually bung a lemon or two in the cavity, or a lemon and some limes ... or an orange even. Chicken loves citrus.

14. Post
    I wonder if the alleged haminess comes from people over doing the brine, either too high a salt mix or too much time in the water? Other people say that it doesn't come out hammy at all. Having thought about it foiling for a while during the cook would probably be the first thing I would try since it's the most likely thing to be 'flavour neutral.

In any case brining chicken results in awesomeness. If i'm brining breasts I tend to stab the fat end with a fork once or twice before it goes in the brine.

15. Post
    Yep, I'm with linkdown. I wouldn't bother brining it.

For chicken - yes it is good. But you don't have to, depends on if you want to go all out or not.

The first few times I experimented with brining I did one lot brined and another without so I could compare. Brined did usually come out ahead but not by a huge margin as food cooked well in a bbq was moist, tender, and flavoursome anyway.

16. Post
    Cheers guys. Will try it next time I do chicken ... in fact I'll try the recipe above once my chillies start turning red!

... this thread is becoming a wealth of good information!

17. Post
    Wouldn't brining preserve the meat a bit longer? I know if you put salt on fish it keeps much longer in the fridge.

18. Post
    gingeralenz wrote:
    Wouldn't brining preserve the meat a bit longer? I know if you put salt on fish it keeps much longer in the fridge.
    Yeah it should. Back in the days before refrigeration they used to salt meat to preserve it, or use a heavy brine to preserve it for a while. With the light brining that we'd do these days I wouldn't be surprised if it added a few days to the keeping time.

19. Post
    Ok, I justed out the lump of pork I got today to tidy it up and put the spices on early!

Grolim, looking at it does it look like I got a good cut? The reason I ask is that:
    a) The butcher I now go to was quite good and wanted to give me a more flavoursome cut (he does seem like a genuinely good butcher!)
    b) It came with ribs and a bit of backbone still on it (see photos), would this mean it's closer to a "Boston Butt"? ... wouldn't a typical shoulder be further away from the ribs?

Ready to go!

20. Post
    Wow! I ain't ever seen a cut like that before I don't really know what it is, I'm not much of a butcher. Looks like perhaps the top of the shoulder and is obviously cut all the way back to the first few ribs and the chine bone that's sticking up down the middle (think this is the vertebrae cut in half)

It actually looks pretty good Will be interested to see the results. You should definitely get some pullable bits in there, a few of the leaner muscles in there perhaps not, but should still be yum

21. Post
    Grolim wrote:
    Wow! I ain't ever seen a cut like that before I don't really know what it is, I'm not much of a butcher. Looks like perhaps the top of the shoulder and is obviously cut all the way back to the first few ribs and the chine bone that's sticking up down the middle (think this is the vertebrae cut in half)

It actually looks pretty good Will be interested to see the results. You should definitely get some pullable bits in there, a few of the leaner muscles in there perhaps not, but should still be yum
    That's what I wanted to hear!

My previous butcher was little more than a mechanised cutting tool... This new butcher I'm going to seems to have a sort of genuine enthusiasm about his job. Which is great!

... will let you know how it goes

EDIT: Note Al's Rub has quite a few herbs in it unlike the southern style ones.

22. Post
    I asked the butcher (well, meat stockist these days) whether they could get 'pork butt' or 'boston butt' and he proceeded to tell me that he can't because of hygiene reasons, due to the anus.

I didn't really expect a positive answer, but this gave me a lol.

23. Post
    Haha that is pretty classic!

24. Post
    05:00: coals lit, pork on the grill, lid closed. We are now cooking!!!

25. Post
    Merkinz wrote:
    05:00: coals lit, pork on the grill, lid closed. We are now cooking!!!
    Keen! Nice early start

Should be about done by now?

Also, lol at no Butt due to hygiene