Adventures with a Weber BBQ

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 3276

1. Post
    More than enough imo

2. Post
    I recently had the pleasure of trying some slow cooked lamb shoulder cooked by Meat Candy of Palmy. Absolutely amazing - will definitely be trying this on the Weber.

3. Post
    I always find it too fatty :/

4. Post
    Do you guys recommend seasoning prior to Sous Viding the Chicken Wings?
    Last time I did it at 71c for 2 hours, I didn't notice any difference between that and regular ones. I think I might go an extra 1 hour this time.
    Going to finish them on my new Pellet Grill.

5. Post
    networkn wrote:
    Do you guys recommend seasoning prior to Sous Viding the Chicken Wings?
    Last time I did it at 71c for 2 hours, I didn't notice any difference between that and regular ones. I think I might go an extra 1 hour this time.
    Going to finish them on my new Pellet Grill.
    I've done that, didn't find it made a difference too.
    Finished them off on the grill but felt like it took just as long to get the skin to crisp since the surface was so wet.

I've been sous viding picanha and finishing them off on a high flame grill with good success.
    Gets the fat nicely rendered and soft whilst keeping the inside nice and medium rare

6. Post
    I've read about this method of salting meats instead of using a wet marinade. This needs to be done at least 3-4 hours prior to cooking and keeps the meat really tender. It also browns quickly and beautifully on the bbq or frying pan

7. Post
    Another pork shoulder went in over the weekend, but the wife wanted to try bark this time so I didn't wrap it. Turned out great, but it wasn't ready and rested until 11pm! The bark was tasty, but not sure it was worth an extra 4 or 5 hours and missing out on all of those lovely juices to moisten up the pulled pork.

8. Post
    I think I'm going to buy an actual Weber in spring. The cheap ass kettle just doesn't cut it.

9. Post
    Galent wrote:
    I think I'm going to buy an actual Weber in spring. The cheap ass kettle just doesn't cut it.
    Do it man, they're awesome.
    After using my Weber kettle for 9 months, I'm starting to get tempted by Kamados. The temps just seem so stable. Would be nice to set up a cook late at night and sleep. With the Weber I need to adjust vents every 30 to 90 minutes.

10. Post
    A tiptoptemp might be worth trying eh

11. Post
    Yeah I've been interested in those before. Probably worth a go before shelling out for a kamado. Ordered!

I imagine that air leaks will affect it in a bad way, and I do notice a bit of smoke coming out of the lid when cooking. So gasket tape now ordered also.
    Last edited by Caffeine; 20th July 2019 at 1:33 pm.

12. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    Yeah I've been interested in those before. Probably worth a go before shelling out for a kamado. Ordered!

I imagine that air leaks will affect it in a bad way, and I do notice a bit of smoke coming out of the lid when cooking. So gasket tape now ordered also.
    You want some smoke/steam coming out the top, otherwise you'll be poisoning yourself

13. Post
    Haha yep
    Sorry, meant between lid and base. Top vent is always open to some degree! Just a bit of leakage from under the lid, especially with probe wires sticking out.

14. Post
    I've found with my weber the most stable control (when doing snake) is when I've got the amount of coals in it that suit top vent fully open and bottom vent half open and tweak the bottom based on ambients/wind etc. I usually start a chimney of 12 odd briquettes then put in what I think will be right (8 is my start) and see where it settles, chuck another one in if its only 15 odd off. Its a little more upfront fluffing but it seems to end up with more stable throughout the cook. Writing down coal numbers/temps/time etc has made it a lot easier to get more consistent temps.

15. Post
    I've been interested in these for a while for my weber, but can't justify buying one. Has anyone used one?
    https://www.bbqonline.nz/index.php?r...product_id=958

16. Post
    zippy wrote:
    I've been interested in these for a while for my weber, but can't justify buying one. Has anyone used one?
    https://www.bbqonline.nz/index.php?r...product_id=958
    Waste of money

17. Post
    bobdobbs wrote:
    Waste of money
    Amazing ribs thinks you're wrong

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...ns/slow-n-sear

Have you actually used one?
    Last edited by zippy; 25th July 2019 at 1:30 am.

18. Post
    Nope but I still think its a waste of money as its overpriced for what it does. But it really depends what you are hoping to get out of it i guess though?

Mine has baskets already which help with direct cooking so I dont need it for searing. It would be usefull if you don't have baskets already. (not $200 usefull imo). For slow the snake is perfectly fine and takes like 2 mins more to set up. And from what I can tell from reviews it actually doesn't use any more fuel. I had looked at the slow and sear a while back not just now.

19. Post
    Gasket now in place and Tip Top Temp gadget has arrived. Practice brisket scheduled for the weekend.

20. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    Gasket now in place and Tip Top Temp gadget has arrived. Practice brisket scheduled for the weekend.
    Keen to hear your thoughts. Could be quite a cool gadget

21. Post
    Testing it as we speak with a basket full of lump charcoal and half-used briquettes. The temp has kept steady between 195 and 205 F for a few hours now. I've turned up the dial a bit and will see how it goes over the next few hours. Looks promising!

Edit: coals started going out not long after this post. Cracked the bottom vent a little to give them a bit more life. May need a little air from below in future cooks. Granted, used charcoal and lump all in a basket may be a bit unpredictable. Will be trying snake method over the weekend.

Edit 2: this morning I discovered that one side of the basket failed to ignite. Some good feedback here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/we...erick-tip-top/

Looks like having the bottom vent open very slightly is not unusual for using these. Snake method with fresh charcoal briquettes should offer a lot more consistency.
    Last edited by Caffeine; 31st July 2019 at 12:32 pm.

22. Post
    Put brisket on at midnight last night. A couple of hours left on it now. It was rather large, resulting in some juices going over unlit coals - meaning the temp kept dropping out as fresh coals failed to ignite and the TipTopTemp needed adjusting a lot to get them fired up again. Bottom vents half open now to keep everything humming along. Not a good first attempt. Will practice more in the future, ribs next I think.

23. Post
    Roasting a 30kg pig on a charcoal spit next weekend, never done it before, any tips?

24. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    Put brisket on at midnight last night. A couple of hours left on it now. It was rather large, resulting in some juices going over unlit coals - meaning the temp kept dropping out as fresh coals failed to ignite and the TipTopTemp needed adjusting a lot to get them fired up again. Bottom vents half open now to keep everything humming along. Not a good first attempt. Will practice more in the future, ribs next I think.
    Oh well good effort.., with big brisket I think you can kinda put something under it like a rib rack type thing so lifts up in the middle and it bends to help it fit and take up less space across the grill. Have seen it used by the competition guys on youtube before.

25. Post
    SlimPimp wrote:
    Roasting a 30kg pig on a charcoal spit next weekend, never done it before, any tips?
    Always wanted to do one, show us some pics when you do