Adventures with a Weber BBQ

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 3199

1. Post
    I don't understand how a cheapo portable gas burner would test the waters for a Weber?

2. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    I don't understand how a cheapo portable gas burner would test the waters for a Weber?
    Weber also make gas BBQs.

3. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Yep the Weber Q are awesome and portable too. Beats the heck out of any other gas bbq Ive ever tried. Still want a kettle at some point too

4. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    I'm aware of that. I just don't understand how a cheapo portable gas burner would test the waters for a Weber?

Does KevinL even bbq?

5. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    I'm aware of that. I just don't understand how a cheapo portable gas burner would test the waters for a Weber?

Does KevinL even bbq?
    Maybe he's never owned a BBQ before and wants a cheap gas BBQ before he drops $600 on a Weber Q?

6. Post
    Comparable!

7. Post
    Yes!

8. Post
    (it's not)

9. Post
    shadybrothers wrote:
    (it's not)
    It really is, in the context of a dude who wants to see if he wants to cook outdoors, but doesn't want to spend $600 to discover that actually he hates the outside.

A cheap gas BBQ that you use for one season would be a reasonable option. I did the same with a cheap $99 bunnings charcoal BBQ before I decided to upgrade to a weber.

10. Post
    Nah...

(he's already purchased his Weber anyway...)

11. Post
    Seeing as I only make pulled pork once a year I ordered the 6KG Boston Butt from Meatbox. Underestimated the sheer amount of pork that is, barely fit on the Weber with a snake method. Started 12AM this morning, pulled off at 7PM at 195F

https://imgur.com/a/u1XmN

12. Post
    surprised it's only once per year given you have the wolverine claws

13. Post
    Looks like it turned out good! Have had situations like that in the past on the Weber Kettle and have had to move the pork around behind the snake good stuff!

14. Post
    Pork mountain. I'm impressed. I always over smoked my pork so I'm looking forward to doing it properly this time.

15. Post
    Oh man. I need those claws. I make pulled pork so often!

16. Post
    Any recommendations for not-too-expensive GAS (don't shoot me) BBQs? Maybe spending $3-400 max? It's only for a 2 person household.

I have a OTS and a OTG, but I'd like something for a quick and dirty steak without having to deal with coals.

17. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    Any recommendations for not-too-expensive GAS (don't shoot me) BBQs? Maybe spending $3-400 max? It's only for a 2 person household.

I have a OTS and a OTG, but I'd like something for a quick and dirty steak without having to deal with coals.
    You could get a baby Q for that price eh, if you're only cooking for two (it is pretty tiny though)

18. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    You could get a baby Q for that price eh, if you're only cooking for two (it is pretty tiny though)
    Yeah that is pretty small. Sorry I should probably add more requirements, non portable preferred, might be nice to have a side burner for a Wok - but not hugely necessary.

The weber gas models seem a bit overpriced for what they do. Maybe I should hunt for a secondhand one in good condition.

19. Post
    They're really well built, though - I was dubious as well, but a few mates have them and I've always been impressed. They seem to heat up quicker than your regular shitty gas BBQ, maintain the heat better and use less gas - maybe more efficient burners/placement?

I dunno that your standard gas BBQs really generate enough BTUs for using a wok, but I'm happy to be proven wrong

20. Post
    Cool, thanks for the advice.
    I did read a few reviews of the cheapies (Warehouse) and people complain they just don't hold heat. I'd much rather spend an extra hundred bucks than be frustrated with that type of thing.

21. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    Cool, thanks for the advice.
    I did read a few reviews of the cheapies (Warehouse) and people complain they just don't hold heat. I'd much rather spend an extra hundred bucks than be frustrated with that type of thing.
    Weber Q hands down. We had a cheapie warehouse gas which packed up and then a cheapy masport for a few years. PITA to heat and clean and never cooked that great. Eventually that packed up and got the Weber Q 2000 and its totally changed our cooking habits. Heats up rapid (10 mins) and cooks perfect every single time without fail. We normally just know the time of our food now, whack it on leave it and come back and its perfect. Best gas bbq weve had and well worth the extra $

22. Post
    Appreciate the feedback Puk. I shall hunt around.

23. Post
    Don't recommend a baby q. Could never get hot enough for a good sear. Gave it to the boys to use at work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

24. Post
    Might try for the Q 2000. Would be nice to have a temp gauge though.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/weber...anium/p/318399

25. Post
    Got a Baby Q just before xmas to complement the outdoor kitchen alongside a charcoal grill. I love it, i cook mostly indirect with it, i.e put foil down and have the food sitting up on a rack. Fits a spatchcock chicken with veges or a leg of lamb fine (mind you i have the premium model which has a taller lid and if your going with a q2000 then it's going to fit heaps of food). I've found it a bit hard to keep the temps down low, but i've managed to finish pork ribs on it with good results. I think it should hold up well against corrosion, being mostly plastic and aluminium.

Get the premium model if you want the temp gauge (q2200), which comes with a electronic ignition, taller lid, and the temp gauge on the lid. smartmarine.co.nz stock the premium models.