Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Solid review, 50's are getting their own pvp bracket though.

Also, no end game? really? i heard there were operations and stuff. Must have been mistaken.

3. Post
    There's definitely at least one 8-person raid that I've heard of. Eternity Vault or something I think it's called.

4. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    This is good but honestly brackets should be separated further. Even 10-29, 30-49, 50 would be better than 10-49, 50. The scaling gear is a cool idea. But PvP is all about control, and more skills/abilities = more tools at your disposal. It's just never going to be balanced.

5. Post
    Soan wrote:
    There's definitely at least one 8-person raid that I've heard of. Eternity Vault or something I think it's called.
    Addressed. Thanks.

6. Post
    Ramza wrote:

Also, no end game? really? i heard there were operations and stuff. Must have been mistaken.

There is, but currently PUG's are non existant. Apart from 1 or 2 players wanting to do BT Heroic in trade chat, no one else does any of the heroic FP's or any Operations.

Game badly needs a LFG tool, even if its only on its own server.

UI Changes, LFG tools, Mods, combat delay, accessiing the content.. issues which I'd like to have worked out before I continue.

I'm now level 50 and for the most part, really enjoyed the class quests and the storyline. like many others though, I'll cancel my sub, but only for a couple months until the teething issues are resolved. I enjoyed the experience, but now I'd ready for end-game and the game working correctly. I'll be back when it does.

Soan wrote:

Since GP doesnt know anything about end-game, lets help.

All Flashpoints that you did while getting to 50.. those can be done again in Heroic mode @ lvl 50.

The game has 2 Raids known as Operations already.

There is a lvl 50 PvP planet called Ilum.

7. Post
    I've never been less interested in a Star Wars game.
    So much effort spent on voice acting instead of gameplay This game is selling due to the franchise rather than any actual innovation. Bugs, missing content, incomplete systems... and it still gets an 8? Rose-tinted glasses. The fact the article lists so many negative points and lists a few positive ones but still gets an 8 is highly questionable. 8/10 seems to be the rating you give for a popular game and so you don't tread on any toes. Why not actually give it strife over the lack of innovation? Article states it's a WoW clone... how boring.

It has been tried before, of course. Sony Online Entertainment’s Star Wars: Galaxies was a capable MMO bogged down by imbalance, bugginess and, perhaps most importantly, the rigmarole required to finally play as a Jedi – achieved by in-game unlocks rather than at character selection.
    Ah, this is the problem. The early version of SWG had a really fantastic crafting system, decent class progression a 'hardcore' scenario for those who wanted to try and be a Jedi. But you expect to choose to be a Jedi at character creation? this is what's wrong with games.... what's the point if you just want to be the ultimate character from the get-go.
    The fact that every single class has options to strengthen it's weaknesses screams this fact. What a boring way to build a game. Yet another MMO which caters to the masses instead of actually giving players a challenge. Being a healer but giving you a heavy-damage companion is such a pussy way of approaching the game.
    And what happened when they changed SWG? The game failed miserably. It's not hard to see what makes a quality game. Developers need to stop making everything so damn accessible with minimal difficulty. All they do is flesh out a world and people will buy it from looks/franchise alone.

After joining either the Empire or the Republic, players must create a character and choose from a slightly disappointing, samey selection of humanoid models.
    2011. Highly successful developer. Massive database of races to use.
    We get plain human models.

8. Post
    Grim - I pugged FP False Emp Hardmode in the weekend - formed a group within 30 seconds?

To say there is no end game is retarded. There are plenty of things to do when you hit 50 and plenty of HM FPs and OPs to gear up in - patch 1.1 coming will have a new FP and new bosses in existing OP also.

The game is great, and based on the fact it is a new release MMO i would give it a 9.0/10 not an 8, if its still in this state in 6months-12months - gets a 6.0

They said the UI is one of the first things they are looking to fix, it simply isn't good enough - but functional i guess: - i was surprised to see no indication of this in the 1.1 notes however.

9. Post
    Spend years developing MMO.
    UI isn't right.

An even better example as to why it's such an awesome game, thanks for that

And lets not forget EA, probably one of the richest publishers, couldn't even get a NZ release. That's shocking.

10. Post
    I dumped WoW for SWTOR. No regrets! Well one regret Im back to playing a mmo 24/7.

11. Post
    so just how long is this game exactly to get to lvl 50? sounds like there isnt a lot of content to get into yet...

12. Post
    albusfr wrote:
    so just how long is this game exactly to get to lvl 50? sounds like there isnt a lot of content to get into yet...

/played shows 7 days to 50.

That's 168+/- hours from lvl 1 to 50 on one character. That with watching most of the cutscenes/listening to NPC's

13. Post
    exis wrote:
    This is good but honestly brackets should be separated further. Even 10-29, 30-49, 50 would be better than 10-49, 50. The scaling gear is a cool idea. But PvP is all about control, and more skills/abilities = more tools at your disposal. It's just never going to be balanced.
    No i disagree, taking 50s and expertise out of the equation is all that is needed. Dead level brackets are annoying.

Also, the amount of unwarranted hate this game gets from jaded wow babies is astounding.

14. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    I've never been less interested in a Star Wars game.
    So much effort spent on voice acting instead of gameplay This game is selling due to the franchise rather than any actual innovation. Bugs, missing content, incomplete systems... and it still gets an 8? Rose-tinted glasses. The fact the article lists so many negative points and lists a few positive ones but still gets an 8 is highly questionable. 8/10 seems to be the rating you give for a popular game and so you don't tread on any toes. Why not actually give it strife over the lack of innovation? Article states it's a WoW clone... how boring.
    It's a solid game. I'd say the heavy emphasis on enjoying leveling up and the story is pretty innovative and drawning in people who found WoW boring, among others. It's like 8 different Kotor storylines with multiplayer.

Limit0 wrote:
    The fact that every single class has options to strengthen it's weaknesses screams this fact. What a boring way to build a game. Yet another MMO which caters to the masses instead of actually giving players a challenge. Being a healer but giving you a heavy-damage companion is such a pussy way of approaching the game.
    Have you even played the game? because this is a good point, not a bad one. The companions are great and yet another difference from WoW.

15. Post
    I'm becoming incresingly pessimistic towards the state of MMOs. Too many just fit the run-of-the-mill style; essentially the COD series but with a different scenario. Hand-holding (companions imo) are the bane of MMOs - just look at WoW in it's current state, the game is so easy it's a joke. You've now got damage dealers with healing spells and healers with massive damage spells. Among many other aspects that have been 'streamlined:' even the most integral part of it, talents.

What really grinds my gears is they invested so much in voice acting and couldn't even chug out a proper UI for release. Or even release on an international scale - which should be expected in this day and age. The only games that really fail to do that are indie games... oh wait, even they manage to do that.

I remain skeptical but will see how the updates progress.

16. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    I'm becoming incresingly pessimistic towards the state of MMOs. Too many just fit the run-of-the-mill style; essentially the COD series but with a different scenario. Hand-holding (companions imo) are the bane of MMOs - just look at WoW in it's current state, the game is so easy it's a joke. You've now got damage dealers with healing spells and healers with massive damage spells. Among many other aspects that have been 'streamlined:' even the most integral part of it, talents.

What really grinds my gears is they invested so much in voice acting and couldn't even chug out a proper UI for release. Or even release on an international scale - which should be expected in this day and age. The only games that really fail to do that are indie games... oh wait, even they manage to do that.

I remain skeptical but will see how the updates progress.
    How much SWTOR have you played?

Are you currently raiding heroic Dragon Soul in WoW?

Are you mad that MMOs have evolved and now strive to offer more to a wider range of players or, in SWTOR's case, flesh something out that is oft an afterthought to most MMO players - story?

17. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    Hand-holding (companions imo) are the bane of MMOs - just look at WoW in it's current state, the game is so easy it's a joke. You've now got damage dealers with healing spells and healers with massive damage spells. Among many other aspects that have been 'streamlined:' even the most integral part of it, talents.
    You confuse the hell out of me Limit0

You could solo level up just fine in WoW, even way back. I'm not seeing how that was any harder than Swotors leveling.

If you're doing quests at a yellow level then you aren't going to be breezing through them(at least as a smuggler) even with the companion. The difficulty takes into account that you have a companion. If anything, it's going to be harder because you have more things to manage.

18. Post
    I'm almost 50 (level 48 atm playing fairly casually since it was released) playing a Powertech tank BH and I can safely say that apart from some minor flaws, overall the game is great for an MMO. I find questing in SWTOR to be far less tedious than all the installments of WoW and leveling has been for the most part highly entertaining. And from what members of my guild have been up to there seems to be quite a lot to do at endgame for something that's only really been out 5 minutes.

I don't know why people bother taking Limit0 seriously, he's the biggest bitch on this forum. It's obvious he's never had the chops to get anywhere significant in these games given how much he complains. Not only has he never played WoW at the levels that would entitle him to judge, he obviously hasn't played SWTOR at any real depth (if at all), either. WoW was never difficult, even in vanilla. In fact, some of the solo quests (and the heroic +4 quests) I've done in SWTOR while leveling, (particularly from 30+) have been fairly challenging, far more than leveling in WoW ever was.

If you actually knew what you're talking about the companion in SWTOR is not "hand holding" at all, the game difficulty is built around having a companion while playing alone.

I don't know why there's so much hate for the UI, sure it can be improved but it works fine. I've got all my skills key bound, shows my hp/enemy hp + all the other necessary information to play effectively. Though the raid frames look pretty shit and once you get near your full set of abilities you start to run out of room. 99.9% sure it will be improved in the next few months though, probably through modifications once made accessible (pretty sure all the framework is already in game for them to work BW just needs to decide when they're ready for them to be available).

19. Post
    Lol this is starting to sound like Age of Conan all over again. Released too early to beat War hammer to market. I liked the game as I was a solo player but the lack of end game, bugs, and broken content / promises killed it for the guilds, after only 3 months there was a mass exodus of subs.

I'm sure EA will sort their shit out though, if they don't DIII is going to rape the shit out of the SWTOR malcontents.

20. Post
    enter_sandman wrote:
    Lol this is starting to sound like Age of Conan all over again. Released too early to beat War hammer to market. I liked the game as I was a solo player but the lack of end game, bugs, and broken content / promises killed it for the guilds, after only 3 months there was a mass exodus of subs.

I'm sure EA will sort their shit out though, if they don't DIII is going to rape the shit out of the SWTOR malcontents.
    DIII is not even the same type of game, and I doubt it's going to cannibalise subs from any other game. I played D2 for countless hours over 9 or so years, but still played other games including MMORPGs at the same time.

People forget that the people who played D2 and only D2, like the guys racing for the top of HC Ladder were in the minority.

21. Post
    Limit0 is just jaded that Jedi are not an unlockable hero class like it was in SWG in the beginning.

It made the months of grinding really feel like you'd achieved something though.

Crafting was indeed cool in SWG, but I also like the crafting in SWOTR as well.

Currently level 33 and loving it, although I'm finding I'm getting way too much xp from questing.
    I.e. arriving on Alderaan at level 32 .

22. Post
    I just hate how animation takes priority over gameplay.

eg if you get stunned by agent and pop that pvp trinket, you're still laying down on the floor and incapacitated.

23. Post
    glock18 wrote:
    I just hate how animation takes priority over gameplay.

eg if you get stunned by agent and pop that pvp trinket, you're still laying down on the floor and incapacitated.
    SWTOR's combat just isn't all that fluid, partly due to that bug and another part due to design choices. I'm not sure if it's connection (~160 ms ping, shouldn't be) or just the way the game worked out, but if I had to pull off a rotation not unlike WoW's subtlety rogue's I would rage pretty hard as it would be nigh-on impossible.

24. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    Are you mad that MMOs have evolved and now strive to offer more to a wider range of players or, in SWTOR's case, flesh something out that is oft an afterthought to most MMO players - story?
    Having such a complex story is definitely something quite unique to TOR. But apart from that Gameplanet's article calls it a WoW clone. All I'm saying is why give it such a high rating when the article itself lists so many negative points and calls it a clone? It barely even mentions the complex story which, from what I've read, is a major improvement in most people's opinion.
    I do feel each new MMO offers a friendly experience to new players. I guess I miss the days when a game was actually difficult. TOR, to me, sounds like an experience rather than a game you want to beat. Of course this could well change once release hits NZ.

Oh yeah solo in WoW was always relatively easy. I just question the point of choosing a healing class then receiving exactly what you're missing as a companion. It's an on-going trend with MMOs... not many really offer unique experiences per class and instead give you the tools to full the gap you've left having chosen a specific class (TOR does offer a unique experience via the complex story however). I guess I'd compare it to Deus Ex; you had many different options how to approach certain situations. WoW (for example) used to do this, albeit with some difficulty - but now even full-on healers have heavy damage-dealing spells. Same with some of the older MMOs. My general experience is that each MMO has become easier and easier.
    I haven't seen the specifics on companions and expected someone to correct me or go into more detail. As I'm replying to the article - not the game itself - it did seem like companions meant healers end up doing damage. I'd call that a cop-out. Not saying it's exactly like that, just what the article says. Co|d Fire gave more detail on companions

Co|d Fire wrote:
    I don't know why people bother taking Limit0 seriously, he's the biggest bitch on this forum. It's obvious he's never had the chops to get anywhere significant in these games given how much he complains. Not only has he never played WoW at the levels that would entitle him to judge, he obviously hasn't played SWTOR at any real depth (if at all), either. WoW was never difficult, even in vanilla. In fact, some of the solo quests (and the heroic +4 quests) I've done in SWTOR while leveling, (particularly from 30+) have been fairly challenging, far more than leveling in WoW ever was.
    At least respond with stuff about the game not just random insults like 'I've never got far in WoW.' What was my characters name? What guild? What raids didn't I do? What other MMOs did I play? You seem to know so much about me yet I rarely post about games in GPF.

TOR isn't even widely available in NZ so it's pretty dumb to throw a hissy fit that I haven't experienced the full game. My entire post was in response to Gameplanet's article so stop taking so much offence and actually correct me instead of just trying to insult me. I don't feel Gameplanet's 'review' was indepth enough or fair enough. So I quoted it and picked it apart.

Co|d Fire wrote:
    I don't know why there's so much hate for the UI, sure it can be improved but it works fine. I've got all my skills key bound, shows my hp/enemy hp + all the other necessary information to play effectively. Though the raid frames look pretty shit and once you get near your full set of abilities you start to run out of room. 99.9% sure it will be improved in the next few months though, probably through modifications once made accessible (pretty sure all the framework is already in game for them to work BW just needs to decide when they're ready for them to be available).
    It generally seems like people have an issue with the UI. To me it looks fine but haven't actually used it myself. Raid UI seems to be a pretty consistant problem with MMOs at release. I still question why such a successful company seems to have such a useless QA system.

25. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    No i disagree, taking 50s and expertise out of the equation is all that is needed. Dead level brackets are annoying.
    This is something that I strongly disagree with... this 'dead level brackets' myth. I've just come from RIFT and there were never any lvl brackets that didn't have games running frequently. During release its not a problem because EVERYONE is levelling, and everyone is at different stages of progression. And after a few months you bring in cross server pvp matching, to solve any low population issues.

I absolutely hate the fact that when I started playing around in pvp with my lvl 15 character in SWTOR, I was always matched against at least a few lvl 50s, just seems like a concept with little or no thought given to it ;s