$400-$500 27" IPS monitors! Same panel as Apple Cinema LCD

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
(9 votes)

1. Post
    Necriss wrote:
    They've declared it as a gift of low value, the customs officer on duty would have to be a real dick to tax you. But definitely a possibility due to the size of the package.
    This has happened to me before. Was held in customs for couple of weeks before I could get it.

2. Post
    Being marked as gift doesn't mean shit. You're looking at $100+ of GST (+$40 import taxes). I only guessed $100 was going towards shipping so it'll be anywhere between $150 and $200 in TAX you'll need to pay.

I somewhat doubt you'll get it declared as a cheaper item, customs aren't morons. They'll see a box for a 27" monitor and know it's not worth less than $400NZD (which included shipping and insurance to NZ). Not to mention declaring it as a cheaper item means you take the chance it'll get damaged in shipping and you'll get nothing.

I'm sure there are enough warning signs already but do what you want

3. Post
    Just asked my friend who worked at customs, they usually don't bother unless its declared properly over $1000 and/or multiple items because of paperwork and shit. I trust what he says, considering I've imported a lot of stuff over the yeas above $500 and never got taxed.

4. Post
    bzE wrote:
    Being marked as gift doesn't mean shit. You're looking at $100+ of GST (+$40 import taxes). I only guessed $100 was going towards shipping so it'll be anywhere between $150 and $200 in TAX you'll need to pay.

I somewhat doubt you'll get it declared as a cheaper item, customs aren't morons. They'll see a box for a 27" monitor and know it's not worth less than $400NZD (which included shipping and insurance to NZ). Not to mention declaring it as a cheaper item means you take the chance it'll get damaged in shipping and you'll get nothing.

I'm sure there are enough warning signs already but do what you want
    But people do it with phones all the time, and prices for monitors are coming down all the time as well!

5. Post
    Yeah I've imported a lot and they don't really bother. They're supposed to charge duty for clothing and shoes but my orders just come in and no hassles.

There was that one time that clove uk ****ed up my order and had a different amount on the declared value on two different documents.
    Customs HAD to process it for clarification and I had to pay tax.

6. Post
    Very interesting.
    Nice find Necriss!

7. Post
    Purchased catleap, hope it comes in 1 piece.

8. Post
    Wally and Necriss, would really appreciate it if you guys can let us know when your monitors arrive and if they are as good as they seem. Really tempted to get the Catleap...

9. Post
    Hi.

10. Post
    lol..catleap that is an epic name

Who gives a shit though

11. Post
    fml they add the cheaper non-speaker version a day after I purchased

catleap (no speaker version) - $493.649 NZD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATLEAP-Q270...item4ab494e36d

mcmatt wrote:
    Wally and Necriss, would really appreciate it if you guys can let us know when your monitors arrive and if they are as good as they seem. Really tempted to get the Catleap...
    will do

12. Post
    I thought they were the same displays as the apple cinema 27 it's and LG something.

13. Post
    Em1 wrote:
    I thought they were the same displays as the apple cinema 27 it's and LG something.
    Who do you think makes the panels for Apple, Dell etc?

14. Post
    Man that's such a good deal. I really don't need one but damn!

15. Post
    It's amazing to think these are being sold in Korea for $230USD.

16. Post
    It's usually supplied by oem like Samsung supplying LCD panel for Sony tv's

I mean the model number of the panel itself.

the u2711 and imac cinema display is the same panel , for people asking about quality of the screen.

17. Post
    Em1 wrote:
    the u2711 and imac cinema display is the same panel , for people asking about quality of the screen.
    The u2711 uses a slightly newer revised panel (8-bit+A-FRC) but has aggressive anti glare coating.

18. Post
    Yeah some people remove the coating though.

Like this guy

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=878149

19. Post
    Coating is good if your screen is anywhere near sunlight anyway...

20. Post
    Pretty tempted to get one or two depending on how the few purchases here go =]

21. Post
    Pixel pitch is too low and hard to read for me, If their 30" come down in price Ill def grab one

22. Post
    Oh my word. Extremely tempted.

23. Post
    Tempted to have a go at removing the AG from my monitors...

24. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Tempted to have a go at removing the AG from my monitors...
    Oh really? So you've changed your mind since you last said:

I notice it, but I love it.

25. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    Oh really? So you've changed your mind since you last said:
    Not really, I still do love it. Having no glare is epic.

But I would like to see how much better it apparently (according to the form linked) actually is.