Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    ugh, this looks like a backwards step interms of visual quality if that is true.

3. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    ugh, this looks like a backwards step interms of visual quality if that is true.
    You seem to be unfamiliar with the term "concept art".

This looks awesome, about time they shook things up and left the corridors behind. Hopefully its not just Rage 2.0

4. Post
    If RAGE was anything to go by then I'd expect another pixel mess.

5. Post
    exactly what Gwarden said - i to hope its going to be so much better

also if they chuck in a few "HOLY **** WHAT THE ****ING ****" moments like this

then it will be even better

6. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Take it from a guy who worked in the games industry for 6 years. This is not 'concept art'

7. Post
    What would you call it then? Pre-vis? Or are you saying we're looking at a finished product?

8. Post
    quick google -

Here is what concept art is, usually environment but sometimes level design comes into it
    http://digitalbattle.com/2006/06/28/crysis-artwork/

What you are seeing is a finished product, they are modelled, textured and lighting has been done. Not to say that this isn't an alpha or beta - but in terms of something that you can put some characters in and run around - yes

9. Post
    If that's true then they must be further along than everyone thought.

10. Post
    Nice concept art.

11. Post
    Well they will take a year or two probably to do the characters model skinning anim, scripted single player, UI and usability, beta multiplayer testing - all of that takes a ton of time and money. But yer they are quite detailed levels you would assume the time it took to create all of that - the creatures and models guys would have the NPCs done and animation and UI teams would have close to finished products.

Im just assuming, studios do things differently. Its possible management wanted small maps created to test out each theme in the engine before committing to full scale maps or something.

At a guess - doom4 in time for xmas.

12. Post
    Looks good, only a small percentage of gamers have super rigs to run wank settings anyway.

Anyway great art direction outshines great graphics imo.

13. Post
    werewolves? wrote:

This, always.

Too bad most gamers have forgotten that these days and complain endlessly about the tiniest pixel imperfections. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees...

14. Post
    werewolves? wrote:
    Oh yeah, 100%. Graphics fade with time, while art direction stays strong. Just need to look some older games to see how true it is: WoW being one.

Another:

15. Post
    werewolves? wrote:
    Looks good, only a small percentage of gamers have super rigs anyway to run wank settings anyway.

Anyway.

16. Post

17. Post
    looks awesome! can't wait to see a baron of hell stomping down an actual street. One thing that I never liked about doom 2 was that it was meant to be on earth yet nothing was remotely earth like

18. Post
    it sorta was - i do know what you mean though - other than the buildings being less "wall of rotating stretched faces" and the skyline being a sort of city burning in the distance - bugger all changed - probably down to the tech and game engine at the time im guessing?

in any case im itching for a new Doom - and if its going to be a sort of Doom 2 "hell on earth" reboot then ill be keen for it!

19. Post
    concept art, ok
    final product, bad

20. Post
    reb wrote:
    looks awesome! can't wait to see a baron of hell stomping down an actual street. One thing that I never liked about doom 2 was that it was meant to be on earth yet nothing was remotely earth like
    A lot of Doom 2's levels were rejects from Doom 1. New enemies, power-ups and gun aside, Doom 2 was more of a B-sides compilation.

21. Post
    Gwarden wrote:

This looks awesome, about time they shook things up and left the corridors behind. Hopefully its not just Rage 2.0
    i think you are the one who does not understand what concept art means

those are bare bone level renders.

22. Post
    some people on reddit are pointing out that this probably isnt d4 due to the style of technology (modern looking cars, buildings, etc) which doesn't fit with the hyper futuristic doom franchise. Make what you will of that I guess

23. Post
    Just because stuff like plasma rifles exist, doesn't mean that everyday people will be driving around in hover cars and shit.

I'd hardly call Doom "hyper futuristic" either, since you've always had relatively "low tech" ballistic weaponry like Shotties, pistols and machine guns as part of your core arsenal.

24. Post
    it's pretty futuristic having a massive corporation putting a secret military base on the moons of mars to attempt to utilize teleportation technology surrounded by the massive industrial-technological complexes. It was set in something like 2145 which if you go back to 1993 was pretty damn futuristic. Sure we're not talking about warhammer 40k futuristic but still. Anyways the stuff like shotties and pistols were really just homages to ids favorite movies at the time rather than representations of technology at their time, shotties/chainsaws for evil dead, chain gun for predator, pistol for .... well everyone needs a pistol but then you moved towards their ideas of cool futuristic weapons with the bfg and plasma rifle.

Anyway like I said make of it what you will it's just some things being pointed out which I am leaning towards agreeing with, these look more like rage than something from the doom franchise to me

25. Post
    id laugh if all this suppused hype was "HOLY **** DOOM 4!"

and they go "NAH **** YA QUAKE 5!"

a quake 5 would be awesome though so it wouldnt be so bad