Dr Porklove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Sodium Nitrate

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)

1. Post
    neit, wont be available tomorrow

2. Post
    Gordy wrote:
    Can ya'll post up your revised cures per 100g/kilo/whatever please.
    My fave so far:
    - Pork Belly 100%
    - Salt 2.5%
    - Sugar 1.8%
    - Insta Cure #1 0.28%
    - Black peppercorns, coarsely ground 0.1%
    - Coriander seeds, toasted, finely ground 0.1%
    - Mace, finely ground 0.1%
    - Star Anise, coarsely ground 0.1%

Though I'm interested in trying these recipes for Sichuan Bacon and German Bacon.

St4lk3r wrote:
    link to half priced new italian one pls, not necessarily for me but for others that are looking for one, the guy where i got mine refurbed made it quite clear that if i was to buy mine new it would be between 3500 and 4500
    Tre Spade D-195 Slicer - $594 or if you wanna go bigger: Tre Spade D-25 Slicer - $1,520. Sharpener is $33.

Yours definitely looks way more industrial though! and all I got at the moment is this rickety hand crank slicer that is hardly any better than a knife in a steady hand

In other news: Yesterday was bacon day for me

3. Post
    yea mine is larger than both of those but the small one of those would still do bacon fine as long as it was rindless

-e- also just realized those prices are ex GST

4. Post
    Yeah, I didn't realise about the GST either ... hate sites that do that.

I'm pretty broke this year but have enough $ to invest in ONE thing... not sure what to get: A Weber Smokey Mountain (been using the weber as a smoker ALOT lately), a meat slicer (been getting into alot of cured meats stuff as well lately) or a sausage stuffer (to make salami).

Thoughts? ... kinda erring on the side of the Weber to be honest.

5. Post
    id go the meat slicer tbh, it saves you having to have expensive knives or a good hand to get slicing done, but it really depends on how much youd use it.

ive decided since the majority of what im doing atm is cold smoking to invest my time and money into getting that right, so i picked up an old defunked semi commecial glass front bar fridge and im in the process of gutting it and making it ready to receive smoke, after thats done and perfected im gunna start looking at grills n stuff for hot smoke deli meats, nomnomnompastraminom

6. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    id go the meat slicer tbh, it saves you having to have expensive knives or a good hand to get slicing done, but it really depends on how much youd use it.

ive decided since the majority of what im doing atm is cold smoking to invest my time and money into getting that right, so i picked up an old defunked semi commecial glass front bar fridge and im in the process of gutting it and making it ready to receive smoke, after thats done and perfected im gunna start looking at grills n stuff for hot smoke deli meats, nomnomnompastraminom
    Nice! Take photos, I'm keen to see how you develop that.

So yeah, I'm keen on doing alot of cold smoking (as well as hot smoking) and I thought if I got a Weber Smokey Mountain I could cold smoke in it by piping the smoke from my Kettle to the WSM. I'm quite keen on this idea but I have very few tools for fabrication of joints etc. and I want it to be something that would be easy to set up and break down in a matter of minutes. Obviously dryer ducting will be used. But making the connections at either end is a little trickier.

I like the idea of the old fridge smoking cabinet but I'm just too limited for space around here.

7. Post
    the biggest benefit i have of the fridge is i can seal it and oi wont be using my bbq to smoke feed anymore ill be using one of those smoke producing tube thingies off tm.

will post up some pictures etc tomorrow

8. Post
    Wicked. Look forward to seeing this thing pan out.

9. Post
    As promised for Merkinz heres some pics of the Smokey fridge

Here it is how i got it

First thing i did was rip out all the fridge guts, sealed up all the holes in the chamber itself, fitted some LED strip down the inside so i can look out the window at it at night to see if its smoking and a locking clasp to pull the door in tighter so it doesnt leak

Heres how it sits now with the light running

and in the dark

Still do do
    - make chimney for the top
    - fit cold smoker (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=727081165)
    - make disty pipe for the front inside
    - cable it up and go

10. Post
    That is straight up awesome! You'll be selling bacon in no time at all.

I'm also mega jelly of your decked out workshop :|

11. Post
    Hopefully this means I can chew bacon when I get my car serviced/repaired.

12. Post
    nope none for you, abbey yes, you?, no

13. Post
    Goddamnit.

14. Post
    i told her to tell you to get some bellies while you were out shopping a couple of weeks ago, not my fault you cant follow instructions

15. Post
    Just scored a WSM on trademe

Can't wait to take it for a spin

16. Post
    God-damn that new recipe I used (ty Merkinz) is incredible. Fried some up, did some in a convection oven, ate some straight off the belly... Winner flavour.

Cold-smoked for 8 hours on and off, so so good. I got a huge apple branch this afternoon, will smoke the rest tomorrow

17. Post
    Merkinz wrote:
    So yeah, I'm keen on doing alot of cold smoking (as well as hot smoking) and I thought if I got a Weber Smokey Mountain I could cold smoke in it by piping the smoke from my Kettle to the WSM. I'm quite keen on this idea but I have very few tools for fabrication of joints etc. and I want it to be something that would be easy to set up and break down in a matter of minutes. Obviously dryer ducting will be used. But making the connections at either end is a little trickier.
    The hacked up plunger head I used in the cold smoking thread is still holding up in a champion way, i've replaced the ducting about 3 times since I made it originally.
    The main thing I found when using the kettle as the smoke source was that the chamber really needs to be above (or at least level with) the height of the source. When i tried to duct it down from the kettle to the bottom of my smoke chamber the smoke throughput was very low and it generated a lot of liquid smoke type mess. It turns out that hot air doesn't like going down... who knew right?
    Alternatively you could overcome the problem I think by putting say PC fan in the line and use that to pull the smoke through. It might get gross and gummed up eventually but they are pretty cheap.

18. Post
    I have a similar type of smoker I use for cold smoking, and it worked wonderfully on the first go, but the second and third times I've tried it's been difficult to keep the smoke going. I think you need to be really mindful of keeping them clean. Yesterday I tried to cold smoke some bacon (thanks Merkinz) and in the end I gave up and hot smoked it instead.

19. Post
    JC wrote:
    God-damn that new recipe I used (ty Merkinz) is incredible. Fried some up, did some in a convection oven, ate some straight off the belly... Winner flavour.

Cold-smoked for 8 hours on and off, so so good. I got a huge apple branch this afternoon, will smoke the rest tomorrow
    Nice! ... I'm gonna try a few different ones from the net but I can see myself coming back to that recipe alot.

Deadm3at wrote:
    The hacked up plunger head I used in the cold smoking thread is still holding up in a champion way, i've replaced the ducting about 3 times since I made it originally.
    The main thing I found when using the kettle as the smoke source was that the chamber really needs to be above (or at least level with) the height of the source. When i tried to duct it down from the kettle to the bottom of my smoke chamber the smoke throughput was very low and it generated a lot of liquid smoke type mess. It turns out that hot air doesn't like going down... who knew right?
    Alternatively you could overcome the problem I think by putting say PC fan in the line and use that to pull the smoke through. It might get gross and gummed up eventually but they are pretty cheap.
    Thanks! That saves me a lot of trial and error! ... The Weber Smokey Joe is relatively cheap! I might buy one down the line and permanently modify it to be a smoke generator. Could be a fun project.

20. Post
    So finished my smoker today

Fitted Smokai cold smoker

and fitted a smoke tube internally

with smoke holes

And an exhaust

i fired it up for testing with a handful of chips

Whee

21. Post
    Thats just crazy awesome! ...

I impulse bought some sausage casings today. Was planning on doing some Texas Hot Guts, this smoker would be awesome to smoke them in!

22. Post
    yea i wanna start making sausages too, ive got a grinder/stuffer here somewhere but i just dunno how to make on with mixtures n stuff

23. Post
    My major hint for sausages: _Don't_ skimp on the fat. Seriously. It'll eat like a worn out tyre that's been baking in the sun for months. Talk to a butcher and you'll be able to get a large amount of pork fat for pretty cheap. Pork fat is pretty flavour neutral so works brilliantly for beef/lamb sausages as well.
    If you work from a base of roughly 70/30 meat/fat, it's then just a matter of working out what you want your sausages to taste like.

24. Post
    Deadm3at wrote:
    My major hint for sausages: _Don't_ skimp on the fat. Seriously. It'll eat like a worn out tyre that's been baking in the sun for months. Talk to a butcher and you'll be able to get a large amount of pork fat for pretty cheap. Pork fat is pretty flavour neutral so works brilliantly for beef/lamb sausages as well.
    If you work from a base of roughly 70/30 meat/fat, it's then just a matter of working out what you want your sausages to taste like.
    Yeah I was just reading about this the other day. Prestons has pork back fat for quite cheap so picked up a kilo or so today I see it there all the time packaged on the shelf.

The sausage stuffer I have is really S*it so I don't think I'm gonna have a fun time with it but hey... gotta start somewhere right.

25. Post
    Smoked morcilla!