Dark Souls for PC

Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
(8 votes)

1. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    I've just reached Blightown.... don't think I'm prepared for what's ahead
    Here's a tip about some items that might help. In spoiler tags only in-case you want to hard-man it.

Spoiler:

2. Post
    What, like a shoddy frame rate?

3. Post
    Cheers, iRon. Before I do that I still gotta go back and repair my sword because the gaping dragon took so damn long!
    I've ordered the guide from Amazon too

4. Post
    Umaga wrote:
    Sign out of PSN or Live and you won't have this problem. But then of course you are missing half the fun.
    Yes that's right, I didn't want to miss out getting assistance from other players, as well as helping others out too. But the high level invaders really put a dampener on my spirit especially when I'd be doing something really important.

Crow#Zero wrote:
    I loved Dark Souls but the rage factor was out of this world. I lost my shit so many times playing this game. Worst part was Blightown.. the slowdown was bad enough, but the bugs that clip through walls and wouldnt lock on was infuriating.

Admittedly I had to rush through the game before our baby was born (I finished it the week before delivery haha) coz I knew after that I wouldn't have any time to finish it. That, and playing this game + sleep deprivation = no good. So I had to take advantage of the OP crystal shield for quite a bit of my time playing, it was broken to hell and fixed in a recent patch. Full credit to those who didn't have to resort to using it!

I used to whinge to my mates about the game but at the end of the day it was so satisfying to play through when things went well.
    Haha good stuff. I never used the crystal shield during my first playthrough. I acquired it in NG+. I did regret it for a while, but once I got the lightning spear, life was good. Hope your baby is well

5. Post
    Yeah upgrading your armour & weapons is absolute key. Because of the complete lack of a detailed tutorial, many people don't realise this, which makes the game ****ing difficult.

If you know hwere to farm the right mats, and get a lightning weapon +5 early on, you start killing bosses in 5 hits or less.

6. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    I've just reached Blightown.... don't think I'm prepared for what's ahead
    Spoiler:

7. Post
    antony89to wrote:
    videos
    lol watching these make me want to make another playthrough :|

/edit enjoyed it right up until he started using multiple exploits, including beating bosses by bugging them out.

I don't see why you'd put so much effort into a speed run if you aren't even going to do it legit?

And the amount of times he nearly dies, but quits out of the game before it has a chance to save is lame

8. Post
    the whole point of a speed run is to do it fast

doing it in one go in 1:26:28 isn't much effort tbh

whats wrong with quitting before game saves? would u rather see the 'you died' screen and watch him retrace his steps all over again? It is a speed run after all

9. Post
    antony89to wrote:

whats wrong with quitting before game saves? would u rather see the 'you died' screen and watch him retrace his steps all over again? It is a speed run after all
    Yes - I would.

If you die, then your speed-run has failed and/or you deserve the time-penalty.

Being able to die is kind of the point, or else speed runs would be very, very easy.

10. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    Yes - I would.

If you die, then your speed-run has failed and/or you deserve the time-penalty.

Being able to die is kind of the point, or else speed runs would be very, very easy.
    You might, but the speedrunner wouldn't. BECAUSE IT IS A SPEED RUN.

Please stop. You can't win this, a subject of which you don't understand.

11. Post
    antony89to wrote:

Didn't see anyone doing Super Mario losing a life and restarting.

Krichul wrote:
    You might, but the speedrunner wouldn't. BECAUSE IT IS A SPEED RUN.

Please stop. You can't win this, a subject of which you don't understand.
    A speed run is based on a persons knowledge of a game, knowing it inside and out then piecing it all together and perfecting the ideal run. If someone screws up and has to resort to a previous save then they haven't perfected the game at all. It's like playing any game, not being happy with your end of stage time and resorting to a previous save state to improve on it then uploading the video as a speed run. Did the Quake speed run use save states? Highly doubt it.

12. Post
    A speedrunner who uses exploits to do it, is obviously some 12 year old pleb.

13. Post
    Agreed.

I don't see how using exploits to complete a speed-run is any different to using cheats to do a speed-run.

God-mode wasn't a valid speed-run tactic for Quake.

14. Post
    you guys need to chill your elitist panties out. I posted these for Limit0 as a video guide. I didn't post them for your approval.

So what if its not a perfect speed run? He might have died a couple of times but so what? Doesn't change the fact that its a impressive speed run.

Not to mention the part on killing Ceaseless Discharge is a method, its meant to be in the game (there is even a falling animation) so I'm not sure what bugs or glitches you're trying to get at.

If you can't do better, just stop hating aye. Saying its lame and shit just because he do it perfectly just makes u sound like a sour grape.

anyways, chill out or nerd rage some more . I'm Ignoring future replies because frankly I don't care as I have better things to do.

15. Post
    antony89to wrote:
    I'm Ignoring future replies because frankly I don't care as I have better things to do.
    Thanks for telling us.

16. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    Agreed.

I don't see how using exploits to complete a speed-run is any different to using cheats to do a speed-run.

God-mode wasn't a valid speed-run tactic for Quake.

yeah, but you did see an abuse of game mechanics. just like in the DS run. exploits allow a player to finish the game as quickly as possible; hence the "SPEED" in speedrun.

you'd really want to watch a HL speedrun but with no bunny hopping because it's a big bad exploit? come on. aim of the game is to beat it in as short a time as possible.

if it's a single segmented run, of course he's going to use an exploit that stops him from dying and having to replay a section, thereby ruining the run. why wouldn't he, exactly?

there's probably "glitch/exploit free" runs out there, but don't expect them to be entertaining, and don't expect anyone else to care about them

@t0mby: I'm sure there are plenty of save-state/TAS Quake runs out there.

"A speed run is based on a persons knowledge of a game, knowing it inside and out then piecing it all together and perfecting the ideal run"

exactly. so if someone knows how to exploit something to speed up their time, why shouldn't they use it?
    again - you want a quake/HL run with no bhopping? yawn

17. Post
    O_o Who's raging about this? It seemed like a polite discussion on the definition of speed run. iRoN and t0mby are just putting their opinion out there. And I think they're both right. I'm not going to get any credit for downing a boss in WoW the fastest if we used an exploit to down it.

18. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    O_o Who's raging about this? It seemed like a polite discussion on the definition of speed run. iRoN and t0mby are just putting their opinion out there. And I think they're both right. I'm not going to get any credit for downing a boss in WoW the fastest if we used an exploit to down it.

Love it when someone who "doesn't care" perceives a calm discussion as an argument or flame-fest.

Anyways, without further derailing of the thread, I for one welcome a PC version of Dark Souls. Will probably buy it despite already having sunk 100+ hours into the PS3 version >.> really dislike console controls (haters gon' hate), have just always thought PC controls to be more precise. This may or may not be simply because I'm better with them.

19. Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the PC version as well although I probably won't double dip. Still need to play through Dark Souls as I only made it maybe less than 1/4 of the way through before getting caught up in other games. Got the official guide here too which I imported, a lovely full size hardback book with almost 400 pages. It's not something I want to rely on to play through the whole thing, it's just I am not a big rpg fan at all but the gameplay mechanics behind the Souls series are what I love, they are perfect imo.

20. Post
    If a mod comes out that allows you to invite specific people to your game ill buy the PC version immediately. I couldn't care less about the Pvp or world invading shit, I just want to troll RL friends while playing through it again.

21. Post
    seanhinton wrote:
    If a mod comes out that allows you to invite specific people to your game ill buy the PC version immediately. I couldn't care less about the Pvp or world invading shit, I just want to troll RL friends while playing through it again.
    While I'm personally of the belief that this would defeat the purpose of some of the core game mechanics, this would be worthy of many lols.

22. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    A speed run is based on a persons knowledge of a game, knowing it inside and out then piecing it all together and perfecting the ideal run. If someone screws up and has to resort to a previous save then they haven't perfected the game at all. It's like playing any game, not being happy with your end of stage time and resorting to a previous save state to improve on it then uploading the video as a speed run. Did the Quake speed run use save states? Highly doubt it.
    Where did this guy quit while dying? I didn't watch the speedrun - that (bad) speedrun has been beaten already.

That "quit out just before dying" thing is actually a key requirement for reaching the final area in the game. Cuts out the requirement of the lost souls.

(skip to around 3:50)

I am wondering if anyone here actually follows SDA: speedrunning and using exploits to your advantage is really common, and doesn't seem to be banned from the community at all. The objective is to beat the game as quickly as possible. Mario 64 has a ton of exploits and you don't see them banning those.

23. Post
    JoeSkie wrote:
    Yes that's right, I didn't want to miss out getting assistance from other players, as well as helping others out too. But the high level invaders really put a dampener on my spirit especially when I'd be doing something really important.
    I find this confusing. Usually you can't just go invade players that are way lower than you. I did hear about a glitch that allows you to restart at Level 1 with all your completed game gear though, maybe these people who are invading you are exploiting this (or another) bug?

24. Post
    Krichul wrote:
    Where did this guy quit while dying? I didn't watch the speedrun - that (bad) speedrun has been beaten already.

That "quit out just before dying" thing is actually a key requirement for reaching the final area in the game. Cuts out the requirement of the lost souls.
    Er - quitting out before you die in that exact area is yet another glitch, which I believe has now been patched out of the game. Utilising a bug which skips over half of the game is definitely very, very lame.

25. Post
    I don't really watch speed runs but I'll argue that you're quite welcome to do whatever the game allows you to do in it's untouched state. If there's glitches, then it's not your fault they released it with those glitches.

The only people who should really get antsy and actually argue over it are those who are competing for the fastest speed run