Dark Souls for PC

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Results 51 to 75 of 1133

  1. Post
    #51
    Limit0 wrote:
    The only people who should really get antsy and actually argue over it are those who are competing for the fastest speed run
    So I can't have an opinion on the use of performance enhancing drug-use in Olympic sports because I'm not an Olympic sportsman?

    Nice.

  2. Post
    #52
    Are you getting worked up over people exploiting glitches for speed runs? I didn't think you were so the comment wasn't directed at you specifically.
    Opinions are fine, I was just making a remark to those who'd get into an actual argument over it

  3. Post
    #53
    Wow, games still say "You Died". Holy flash back to 1992 batman. Does it play some techno sounding midi music while it flashes on the screen?

  4. Post
    #54
    Bobs wrote:
    Wow, games still say "You Died". Holy flash back to 1992 batman. Does it play some techno sounding midi music while it flashes on the screen?
    Much more ominous I'm afraid

    Limit0 wrote:
    Are you getting worked up over people exploiting glitches for speed runs? I didn't think you were so the comment wasn't directed at you specifically.
    Opinions are fine, I was just making a remark to those who'd get into an actual argument over it
    No, but I do get worked up when people remark (or imply) that someone can't have an opinion on X if they aren't a top expert in X. If that's not what you're implying then I'll move along. I've probably helped derail this thread more than enough lol

  5. Post
    #55
    iRoN wrote:
    Er - quitting out before you die in that exact area is yet another glitch, which I believe has now been patched out of the game. Utilising a bug which skips over half of the game is definitely very, very lame.
    Yes, it is a glitch. No, it has not been patched.

    iRoN wrote:
    So I can't have an opinion on the use of performance enhancing drug-use in Olympic sports because I'm not an Olympic sportsman?

    Nice.
    This analogy doesn't work. The Olympics forbids drug use. The speedrunning community doesn't forbid anything.

    Also if you knew what you were talking about you'd already know that a variety of exploits that speedrunners use are very difficult to perform, especially in things like Mario 64 or Castlevania: SotN.

  6. Post
    #56
    Krichul wrote:
    This analogy doesn't work. The Olympics forbids drug use.
    It doesn't matter what the accepted norm is - the point is anyone is allowed an opinion. Whether your opinion varies from the norm doesn't mean it is any less valid.

    If that were true, nothing would ever change or progress, because no one would think outside of the accepted norm. The ****ing wheel wouldn't have been invented for ****s sake.

    mymindisfullof****.jpg

  7. Post
    #57
    iRoN wrote:
    No, but I do get worked up when people remark (or imply) that someone can't have an opinion on X if they aren't a top expert in X. If that's not what you're implying then I'll move along. I've probably helped derail this thread more than enough lol
    /shrug... think there's a misunderstanding on both ends.

    The speed run videos didn't help me at all. 1) watching someone skip content doesn't help a struggling player and 2) it's in another language
    funny. Doing heaps better now though... went and spent ~30k souls on weapon/armour upgrades. Slowly getting through Blighttown

  8. Post
    #58
    iRoN wrote:
    It doesn't matter what the accepted norm is - the point is anyone is allowed an opinion. Whether your opinion varies from the norm doesn't mean it is any less valid.

    If that were true, nothing would ever change or progress, because no one would think outside of the accepted norm. The ****ing wheel wouldn't have been invented for ****s sake.

    mymindisfullof****.jpg
    Your "opinion"

    iRoN wrote:
    Yes - I would.

    If you die, then your speed-run has failed and/or you deserve the time-penalty.

    Being able to die is kind of the point, or else speed runs would be very, very easy.
    This doesn't sound like opinion, rather "my opinion is fact". Quitting and reloading IS a time penalty in itself, and most people speedrunning are at a level where if dying is done, it's done deliberately.

    So why are you pulling the "oh, it's just my opinion" card? The fact of the matter is that speedrunning is done to complete the game as fast as possible, end of.

    And, really, as someone who has played through this game extensively, I can tell you that quitting before dying and that particular Frampt exploit are not easy to pull off. It's entirely a matter of quickly acknowledging that you'll die, and knowing what to do in order to prevent that situation.

    Edit: I also agree that showing a Dark Souls speedrun is not going to help someone simply wanting to progress. The speedrun takes a minimalistic, barebones way of completing without upgrading weapons, finding items, or doing anything that makes them go out of their way - something that most players normally would, unless they've already planned their build in advance.

  9. Post
    #59
    How about you all go piss off to the PS3 forum and have your argument there.

  10. Post
    #60
    cryocore wrote:
    How about you all go piss off to the PS3 forum and have your argument there.
    What's wrong with the X360 forum?

  11. Post
    #61
    iRoN wrote:
    What's wrong with the X360 forum?
    Its on 360 too? didnt know that. Well then I guess that will be fine as well.

  12. Post
    #62

  13. Post
    #63
    Oh man, I wish they'd do Demon Souls as well.

  14. Post
    #64
    iirc Sony owns the IP to demons souls, hence the re-branding to Dark souls for a multiplatform release. In other words it'll never happen

  15. Post
    #65
    I have Demon Souls on PS3 but haven't touched it yet, its on loan from a friend.

    Hearing this announcement made me wish they were both on PC so I could just play both there.

    Guess i'll have to play Demon Souls on PS3.

    /firstworldproblems

  16. Post
    #66
    It isn't the sort of game that benefits from PC, Will be interesting how stable it is at launch with the developers track record

  17. Post
    #67
    Anyone else think the "new" bosses are actually going to be from Demon's Souls?

    They say 1:1, but providing one owns a PC better than a PS3, there's bound to be ways to cut down on the framerate issues in Blighttown, and with summons. Although, console games of today have a ton of crazy optimizations for the hardware's standards not seen in PC.

  18. Post
    #68
    entensity wrote:
    It isn't the sort of game that benefits from PC
    So? It gives an entirely new audience the chance to play the game. If anything the game's nature should gel even better with long time PC gamers than anyone else to date.

  19. Post
    #69
    Krichul wrote:
    They say 1:1, but providing one owns a PC better than a PS3, there's bound to be ways to cut down on the framerate issues in Blighttown, and with summons. Although, console games of today have a ton of crazy optimizations for the hardware's standards not seen in PC.

    It depends how lazy devs are. It doesnt take that much time to optimize a game for PC to the point where it looks and performs much better on PC compared to console.

    With that being said, there are a number of titles over the years that devs pushed out ASAP with no regards to to the end user apart from a money grab. Once these games managed to start-up on a PC, it was like "ok good enough so lets ship this, we can fix it later, or never..."

    Its a hit and a miss with PC ports these days.

  20. Post
    #70
    Actually think this would work well on pc, mouse for camera controls seems like it'd be pretty natural. I could see combat feeling a bit more natural with a controller though, whether you're on a console or pc with a game pad of some sort.

    Only thing I've thought esp in relation to dark souls is that it is an extremely atmospheric sort of game, which tends to work better laid back on a couch further from the screen, turned up loud on a good sound setup, which (usually) also lends itself better to consoles. Might just be my own preference/experience tbh - I don't see it being the sort of game id play on pc though. Wonder if ps3/Xbox will see the new bosses through dlc or something :/ kinda hope so.

    Blighton will be better on pc, that'd be nice haha
    For a guy named EvilStarship, I sure know jack about Stars.

  21. Post
    #71
    Yeeeeah posted that then pretty much thought "new bosses, gamepad support, no more Blighton shittiness, will buy again"
    For a guy named EvilStarship, I sure know jack about Stars.

  22. Post
    #72
    I'll probably pick this up on PC when it comes out. First game was pretty badass.

  23. Post
    #73
    if there is new content it will def be worth a look for any darksouls fan!
    i just hope it maintains the same feel and difficulty of the original game, cos ill be really dissapointed if they start releasing mods where all the npcs start shuffling to party-rock. FFFUUUUUUU

  24. Post
    #74
    Simplexcity wrote:
    i just hope it maintains the same feel and difficulty of the original game, cos ill be really dissapointed if they start releasing mods where all the npcs start shuffling to party-rock. FFFUUUUUUU
    This makes no sense. Are you hoping that developers don't release "mods" for their own game? 1st party content wouldn't be counted as a "mod".

    Any potential fan-made mods would be entirely optional. If you don't want their features, then don't download and install them. Simple.

  25. Post
    #75
    Simplexcity wrote:
    if there is new content it will def be worth a look for any darksouls fan!
    i just hope it maintains the same feel and difficulty of the original game, cos ill be really dissapointed if they start releasing mods where all the npcs start shuffling to party-rock. FFFUUUUUUU
    Uhh.. Wut.

    Are you referring to the Skyrim Fan Made mod?

    Do you base purchases on what mods fans create?