The Playstation Plus "Free Games!" Thread

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)

1. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    You bought PS+ and I bet what happened was the console started downloading updates for all your games, even ones you might not play anymore from years ago. That's what PS+ does, keeps all games up to date.
    Even for games you no longer own?

2. Post
    Noob question. I get a 3 month trial, download my free games, trial ends, games remain intact, right?

3. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Even for games you no longer own?
    Yes. PS+ doesn't have a database of games you have sold on. It can only see your save data and game files, so will update accordingly.

Crow#Zero wrote:
    Noob question. I get a 3 month trial, download my free games, trial ends, games remain intact, right?
    Yes they stay intact. BUT, you won't have access to play them anymore. You only have access whilst your account is current. I'm not entirely sure whether or not you will be able to play them if you reactivate your PS+, all that data is on my backup that my new slim won't see yet. I'll try to sort it today and look for you.

4. Post
    thanjs for that. Purchased just now. Hope I get bored of vf and ms by then!!

5. Post
    as long as your subscription stays active you keep the games, seriously, its $26 for 3 months or $90 for a year for some great games that will no doubt refresh for more, pretty good deal really.

Overall however Sony Europe can suck my dick, they're garbage at the best of times, they rip off their customers with pricing in general and they have utterly appauling PR skills and its clear to the entire world SCEE bend over and take it up the arse from SCEA on a daily basis.

I've still been meaning to try out my US store account tbh but can never be bothered buying a pre-paid card, I might when they have a sale I'm interested in.

6. Post
    Seriously. Get PS+ the ability to cloud save games I'm seeing the value in.

I have just restored my new console from my old console back up. The problem is NONE of my game data is transferred because its a different console. That's 5+ years of game saves gone. If I'd signed up to plus earlier and cloud saved everything if at least have that. I could reinstall games, DLC and other such things over time. But 1000's of hours of gaming I can't.

7. Post
    Wow Virtua Fighter 5's sound is low bit rate, extremely tinny. The announcers voice is awful.

8. Post
    All I freakin need now is time to play aaargh

9. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Seriously. Get PS+ the ability to cloud save games I'm seeing the value in.

I have just restored my new console from my old console back up. The problem is NONE of my game data is transferred because its a different console. That's 5+ years of game saves gone. If I'd signed up to plus earlier and cloud saved everything if at least have that. I could reinstall games, DLC and other such things over time. But 1000's of hours of gaming I can't.
    Couldn't you put your old HDD in your new Slim, chosen to upload all saves to cloud (Cumbersome one at a time but still), then put in your new HDD, done the restore, voila?

10. Post
    If you have a working console and a new one you can transfer the entire contents across via network cable as well.

Of course if your console dies and you send it away to Sony/Fixtronics them they wipe the HDD. Which is what happened to me the first time. Of course there was no cloud storage then anyway. The only way I saved my data the second time was fixing it without them. I then transferred the data to the new console as above.

11. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    Couldn't you put your old HDD in your new Slim, chosen to upload all saves to cloud (Cumbersome one at a time but still), then put in your new HDD, done the restore, voila?
    Nope.

Did you not read the blog I put on the site over Christmas?

The HDD is encrypted to the console. As soon as a HDD is installed with the incorrect encryption, it's formatted.

The only way I can get that data back is to repair my RLOD Fattie, then use the Ethernet data transfer utility.

12. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Nope.

The HDD is encrypted to the console. As soon as a HDD is installed with the incorrect encryption, it's formatted.

The only way I can get that data back is to repair my RLOD Fattie, then use the Ethernet data transfer utility.
    Stink.

Did not know this.

13. Post
    Estumas wrote:
    If you have a working console and a new one you can transfer the entire contents across via network cable as well.

Of course if your console dies and you send it away to Sony/Fixtronics them they wipe the HDD. Which is what happened to me the first time. Of course there was no cloud storage then anyway. The only way I saved my data the second time was fixing it without them. I then transferred the data to the new console as above.
    Did you repair yourself, or pay a 3rd party?

I know of a bunch or 3rd party repairers, but I am reluctant to pay another $200 to somebody for essentially 2 hours of console requirement. I will if I have too. But I don't really have the money.

14. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Stink.

Did not know this.
    Yeah the reason for the formatted drive from Fixtronics is because they give you a refurb. A different console.

15. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Nope.

Nah, cos I didn't have a need to changing hard drives back then.

]

Good to know that now as I upgraded my HDD last month to a 500gb from the 120gb that came with it. I'll just hook it up and cloud all my saves. Although in all honesty, I'm not 100% behind the idea of cloud saves. If the net is down, or PSN is down, how am I to resume my games?

16. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    Nah, cos I didn't have a need to changing hard drives back then.

]

Good to know that now as I upgraded my HDD last month to a 500gb from the 120gb that came with it. I'll just hook it up and cloud all my saves. Although in all honesty, I'm not 100% behind the idea of cloud saves. If the net is down, or PSN is down, how am I to resume my games?
    It wasn't about changing HDD's it was about RLOD.

That is my problem with cloud saves too!

But at least I'd still have them at this moment!

17. Post
    Seance wrote:
    Wow Virtua Fighter 5's sound is low bit rate, extremely tinny. The announcers voice is awful.
    Yeah it sounds terrible. Must be the arcade effect they were going for (at a guess..?)

Wow 52% trophies in one sitting lol.

My first run through of MS:A = so many jaw dropping moments. Awesome.

18. Post
    I'm downloading all the full free games PS+ looking at like over 50gb

19. Post
    I would trade them all for Just Cause 2, a little bit disappointed we didn't get that one.

20. Post
    you can grab just cause 2 for cheap as a retail copy.. fun even long just brainless blowing up lol

21. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Did you repair yourself, or pay a 3rd party?

I know of a bunch or 3rd party repairers, but I am reluctant to pay another $200 to somebody for essentially 2 hours of console requirement. I will if I have too. But I don't really have the money.
    I was going to originally do it myself, then I found a company where I am in Wellington that did it for $99 and gave me 2 months cover on the work. This was after I'd already talked to Harvey Normans and Fixtronics who had agreed to fix it again (because the first YLOD repair didn't last) but Fixtronics wouldn't agree not to wipe the drive even if I told them I'd take responcibilty for issues under their cause. Their offical line is a security reason, but it's just false cause so it makes the refurb replacement option an actual option.

After I got the repair, I wasn't sure how much I trusted the console.... so I figured I'd just buy a new Slim console and sell the old one off. It was a 60GB Fat with all the original features (PS2 BC, 4 USB, Media Card ports, etc.) so it was easier to sell off than other units I guess. I got quite a reasonable amount for it, but this was back when even the cheapest PS3 was still over $650 (it dropped a couple of months later). That was almost a year ago now, and I've yet to hear from the person who purchased it from me that the console has died again. So thats a good sign the repair was solid.

It's also not true that Fixtronics will _always_ give you a refurb, it depends on the unit you send in and the stock they have. The first time my 60GB died I got the same unit back (had same serial number and a mark I'd made on the bottom in case it was ever stolen), obviously 60GB units weren't common enough. HDD was still wiped of course.

22. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    I would trade them all for Just Cause 2, a little bit disappointed we didn't get that one.
    I've seen it as cheap as $22 new, I bought the full game after playing the demo ages ago it's still one of my fav Ps3 games

23. Post
    I know it's cheap, I just mentioned it as it's one of the 10 free retail games US PSN+ subscribers get.

24. Post
    I wonder if we will get in on the next rotation? I own it and it's a lot of fun. Be good if we got All 4 One. Heard it's a bit of a turd, but could be good to try out.

25. Post
    i need more hdd space.