The Playstation Plus "Free Games!" Thread

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)

1. Post
    fauzman wrote:
    Are we missing a lot of stuff on the psn store? I thought we nearly always get what the rest of Europe is getting, and certainly what Aus gets.
    the problem is Europe gets shafted and NZ is even worse as we're just a tiny market so they DGAF about us, which is why we consistently get games weeks (usually months) late AND still get charged on average double the price over the last 4-5 years.

short answer is because of licensing and ratings. America is easy because it's just one country and it's a big market, so they get games quick and don't need to waste money on ratings etc. Europe however (which we're part of) includes so many countries with their own languages, laws, ratings systems, taxes etc. so devs/publishers have SO many barriers to get through which is why it takes so long for NZ to get games and why we pay so much more than America.. not to mention SCEE like to add EVEN MORE on top for Kiwis because they know so many of us are so oblivious and disconnected to the rest of the world. Just look at how EA's charging AU/NZ much more for the BF3 premium just because they can (they just came out and admitted it today though and reduced the price, but it took a hell of a lot of complaints from the community). That's why it sucks to be a gamer in NZ, unless you're well connected.

2. Post
    -Flappersack- wrote:
    I wonder if we will get in on the next rotation? I own it and it's a lot of fun. Be good if we got All 4 One. Heard it's a bit of a turd, but could be good to try out.
    Its a great game with two or more players, but as a single player its pretty average. Its just not the same when you do combo-moves with an AI.

3. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    I'm not 100% behind the idea of cloud saves. If the net is down, or PSN is down, how am I to resume my games?
    I just unplugged my console from my network and started up max Payne 3 (my only game so far on my new slim) and my game save was there. So it looks like PS+ keeps a backup of your saves rather than storing them.

4. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    I'll just hook it up and cloud all my saves. Although in all honesty, I'm not 100% behind the idea of cloud saves. If the net is down, or PSN is down, how am I to resume my games?
    Never had PS+? Your gamesaves are still saved on your PS3's HDD, but you can now have a back-up via cloud save. Pretty handy too.

Went down to Dunedin this weekend and took my US PS3 with it. Wanted to boot up Sengoku Basara again but did not want to have to start from square one. I thought that the gamesave was on this console but it turns out that it was on my NZ PS3 which was back up in Auckland. One phone call to my brother to tell him to send the save up to the Cloud server and in 2 minutes, all my hard work is now ready for me to download.

Of course not all saves will be like this as some require you to wait 24 hours after you upload/download before it lets you do it again.

5. Post
    Anybody having trouble downloading Motorstorm. I have now tried twice to download it and just get corrupted data on the install.

Anyone got any clues?

6. Post
    Seance wrote:
    Anybody having trouble downloading Motorstorm. I have now tried twice to download it and just get corrupted data on the install.

Anyone got any clues?
    I've had this in the past with other games.

Delete the original file and re download. This time don't DL in the background. That should do it.

7. Post
    Yeah will try it again tomorrow. 18 gigs downloaded through PSN in one day doesn't do my data cap any good.

One thing I did notice, when I started the download the size of the game was 6.7 gig. When I move to the background it was only 2.9 gig.

Weird.

8. Post
    Seance wrote:

Anyone got any clues?
    I downloaded it no problem. Maybe there were too many people downloading it when you tried? Not sure what else other than than some downloading error (like chickenman said).

9. Post
    Ms:a is visually stunning. However the cornering eats ass. I dunno what it is, ive hired pacific rift in the pas and loved it, I dunno if I just need to unlock more vehicles, but I dread the corners, and its almost like the game knows it because most of the courses are staright lines with minimal corners. If that makes sense.

10. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    However the cornering eats ass.
    Ok good, it's not just me. Still like the game overall though

11. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    However the cornering eats ass.
    -Flappersack- wrote:
    Ok good, it's not just me. Still like the game overall though
    Ah, n00bs. This isn't GT5 with grippy tyres and concrete underfoot. Compared to real life off-roading, it handles like a dream.

Best thing about this version is that they got rid of the stupid suicide cars in the SP game that cared only about ensuring you lost, and not about getting anywhere themselves.

12. Post
    I couldn't stand playing Motorstorm Apocalypse

13. Post
    I actually quite liked the handling in MS:A, one i got used to it was having great fun with the races, off and online.

14. Post
    BuzzLightyear wrote:
    Ah, n00bs. This isn't GT5 with grippy tyres and concrete underfoot. Compared to real life off-roading, it handles like a dream.

Best thing about this version is that they got rid of the stupid suicide cars in the SP game that cared only about ensuring you lost, and not about getting anywhere themselves.
    - I've never played GT5
    - concrete IS underfoot in this game
    - real life offroading..? Are we still talking about Apocalypse or Pacific Rift?

I loved PR and it handled like a dream. 2pacalypse is just a little more.. awkward on the turns. I still love the game, but yeah, seems a bit yukky on the corners.

15. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    - I've never played GT5
    - concrete IS underfoot in this game
    - real life offroading..? Are we still talking about Apocalypse or Pacific Rift?

I loved PR and it handled like a dream. 2pacalypse is just a little more.. awkward on the turns. I still love the game, but yeah, seems a bit yukky on the corners.
    Sounds like you need to just spend more time in it really and get to know the best suited vehicle for each track. You're right, there are a lot of concrete based tracks (been a while since I finished it), but they aren't nicely cambered and flat race tracks, so your traction isn't going to be like a racecar most of the time.

I've loved every version of MS so far, and each of them seems to have a slightly different feel in the camera and handling. Can't say I recall issues with cornering in Apocalypse, except in the tight turn at the top of the tornado track where there is a slab of pavement that's hard to get enough speed to get a drift going on.

Overall though Apocalypse is probably my favourite of them all, mainly because of the reforming of the track during the race. Makes for awesome fun online.

16. Post
    BuzzLightyear wrote:
    Sounds like you need to just spend more time in it really and get to know the best suited vehicle for each track. You're right, there are a lot of concrete based tracks (been a while since I finished it), but they aren't nicely cambered and flat race tracks, so your traction isn't going to be like a racecar most of the time.

I've loved every version of MS so far, and each of them seems to have a slightly different feel in the camera and handling. Can't say I recall issues with cornering in Apocalypse, except in the tight turn at the top of the tornado track where there is a slab of pavement that's hard to get enough speed to get a drift going on.

Overall though Apocalypse is probably my favourite of them all, mainly because of the reforming of the track during the race. Makes for awesome fun online.
    Yeah I have to spend more time with it - played through about 2 hours so far offline and about 5 races online. As I mentioned earlier there are some moments where my jaw has literally dropped with some of the environmental damage.

I wish my psp still worked - I miss Arctic Edge.

17. Post
    A lot of you would have already seen, but Deus Ex Human Revolution is currently free on PS Plus! I never got round to this when it came out so am switching between this and Darksiders (also free on PS Plus) at the moment. It's great so far

18. Post
    ^cool didn't see Deus Ex before, downloading now@8057mb

19. Post
    Couldn't get into DE:HR for some reason

20. Post
    I'm enjoying MotorStorm:A, I really didn't enjoy PR but loved the first. Online is a blast, quite fun with 2 players online and betting on each other.

Still downloading DE, and another full BR game will be released on the 17th along with a PSN title. for PSN+

21. Post
    Yeah I finished the SP campaign of MS:A, steering felt better the more I played (cheers BLY)

22. Post
    -Flappersack- wrote:
    A lot of you would have already seen, but Deus Ex Human Revolution is currently free on PS Plus! I never got round to this when it came out so am switching between this and Darksiders (also free on PS Plus) at the moment. It's great so far

FYI - Deus Ex is the new "Game of the Month" for July, switching in place of Virtua Fighter 5. This is monthly so there will be a new game of the month every month. There will also be 2 more new games switching for a couple of the current ones, in July. 1 will be a psn and the other a BD game. Since Space marine and Chime are both expiring on the 18th of this month, I assume this when new games will come online.

23. Post
    Just signed up and queued them all up. There goes my net for the month. Ah well, keen as to play some of those. Already have Deus Ex HR on PC and LBP2, but the rest I'll happily jam

24. Post
    Saints Row 2 and Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light out tomorrow. I was expecting these to be the games released for us, since they were on the US Store last month.

I haven't actually played Saints Row 2 yet, I did like the first one but it had flaws.. One good example would be when you had gangs+cops after you. 2 gang cars full with people will show up after you wiped them out, then 2 cop cars show up... 2 gangs, 2 cops etc...

I also wanted to try out Guardian of Light, and now I can

I can confirm that over the next couple of months thereís at least 3 brand new titles that are going to be available in Plus, so donít lose heart
    ^-- From Ross McGrath over at EU blog..
    I hope one of them is Rainbow Moon! I just wish that game was more action RPG although the turn base system might actually be awesome. So I do want to try this game out.

25. Post
    Can we change the thread title to Playstation Plus discussion or something similar?

Apparently the free game this month is Dead Space 2. I never did get around to playing that so I'm quite keen.