1. Post

Android Tablet - Is this any good?

My wife wants a tablet for home use. Browsing internet / email / facebok e.t.c

http://www.dailydo.co.nz/

They have a special on today for an android tablet, there are the details.

Specifications:
    Brand: BoxChips
    One-year warranty
    Operating system: Android 4.0
    Compatible software: Facebook, MSN, Skype, Gmail, hotmail, Yahoo talk, Word Reader, Excel Reader, Powerpoint Reader, PDF Reader, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, 3D games etc.
    Customers can also download and install software from the Android market
    Built-in wifi
    Processor type: A13 Style
    Single core processor
    Speed: 1.2ghz
    Screen size: seven inch
    Screen - 7 inch WVGA CAPACITIVE Touch Screen (5 points touch),800 x 480, 16:9
    Video Decoder: 2160P
    Processor type: Cortex A8
    Computer memory capacity: 512MB
    Hard drive capacity: 4GB
    Has mini USB Port, Mini USB – USB adapter and micro SD slot
    Speaker: build in speaker, 2 x 8Ù/1W
    Earphone jack: one 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
    PC camera: front camera 0.3 mega pixels
    Battery: Li-polymer 2600maH/3.7V (playing time 4-6hours)
    Playing time: 9-10 hours

Packaging details:
    1x mini USB cable
    1x gift box
    1x manual (English)
    1x charger: AC adapter AC100-240V 50-60Hz 9V 1.5A

For a price like this, it’s too good to pass up. They’re sure to disappear fast, so grab yours now!

Is this going to be a piece of junk, or worthwhile?
    It's $139

2. Post
    Depends what you want it for. Only a single core processor and low resolution display. If you just want it for basic stuff like Facebook, Angry Birds and emails then it will probably do the trick.

edit - just re read your first line and that is pretty much exactly what you want it for! Browsing the web might be a bit slow loading some web pages. I have a Kindle Fire which looks pretty similar spec wise except the Fire has a dual core. Even that loads graphic heavy pages quite slow at times.

Just be aware the touch screen is probably pretty low quality so might not be that responsive. It might not detect light touches

3. Post
    Yeah the wife will only really be browsing web / face book. Playing Angry birds and watching you tube videos :P
    I am wondering if it's more worthwhile to save up and get something a bit higher spec though. And this seems like a fairly unknown brand?

4. Post
    See my edit above please!

5. Post
    Hmmmm, Thanks for the info. I might just put the spare cash aside and keep an eye out for something else. I REALLY like the look of the Galaxy tabs but they obviously cost a bit more :P

But I am thinking long term it might just be better to go with something a bit higher spec and more reliable

6. Post
    M0F0 wrote:
    Hmmmm, Thanks for the info. I might just put the spare cash aside and keep an eye out for something else. I REALLY like the look of the Galaxy tabs but they obviously cost a bit more :P

But I am thinking long term it might just be better to go with something a bit higher spec and more reliable
    Watch for the Ainol Aurora II - should see them on trademe this month. Dual core 1.5Ghz A9 CPU, ICS, and an LG IPS screen. Around the $250-$300 mark I'd expect.

I have an Aurora I, it's impressive, but I do need the better CPU.

7. Post
    Is This what you're talking about Vulcan? Pretty decent at $230NZD, but I guess the question is; how does it perform?

My experience with android has been pretty variable from absolute rubbish (ideos U8180) to average (U8800) to pretty damn great (my current Nexus S)

8. Post
    Correct, but I find the A10 CPU a little light. However I tend to be running a few business apps concurrently.

Been tossing up between the new model (Aurora II with a dual core A9 1.5Ghz) or the Tab 2.0. Benchmarks seem to indicate there'd be little performance difference for half the price.

9. Post
    Hmmm. What do you think about the rumoured appearance of the ASUS Nexus 7" this July? It's supposed to be in a similar price bracket, and I like the open-ness of the nexus line...

Decisions, decisions. I'm trying to sell my self on the idea as a music player/.pdf reader for academic papers.

10. Post
    I'm in the market for a cheap tablet as well but will probably wait for this Nexus Tablet. Keen for 10 inch as well

11. Post
    800 x 480 isnt a lot for a 7 inch tablet, but for the price tag that tab seems reasonable.

12. Post
    I am considering selling my Asus Transformer (16GB TF101 w/o keyboard) if you're interested at all?

I hardly ever use it, and I am looking at getting an iPhone 4S for/by my birthday (June 29th).
    Still under warranty til December