1. Post
    =C= wrote:
    Hmmmm, that's a very small difference in in force required to press the keys. Would you really feel a difference of 15g is the question.

I like the idea of less force required to press the keys and smaller travel distance to activate them but what's the purpose of the bottom out when... Just messing with the keyboard at work and it too activates half way pressed down but bottoms out further down.. This is just a generic POS Microsoft ergo kbd. Can't tell you the actuating and bottom out specific measurements but... I'm pretty sure every keyboard has an activation point before bottoming out. So really what's new other than the less force to activate and a clicky noise? Hmmm....

Laptop keyboards have very little actuating force and small actuating distance as well. But I hate the gruveless / flat keys on laptop's. I do however like the lightened force of activating the keys vs my G15. I have tried various other kbds in the past the the G15 is thus far the best.
    Until you use a mechanical it's hard to describe. When I use a rubber dome keyboard now I can feel/visualize a soft rubbery dome underneath. The feedback isn't completely linear (because obviously it's rubber). Mechanical keyboards just feel right.

However, the odd thing is I still really like my scissor key Logitech keyboard even though scissor keys still use a rubber dome. I guess it's each to their own, but for traditional style keys mechanical ftw.

2. Post
    Steel 1984 IBM PS/2 keyboard ftw.

3. Post
    The_Pard wrote:
    My bug-bear about the Ducky + das keyboard ones is that they don't have the wrist rest, which I've become pretty accustomed to. This would make me more keen on getting the QPAD ones.

Is it pretty easy to get used to not having it there? Or are there solutions to this problem?

I have a work computer @ UoA which I use for the majority of my thesis work, so maybe I need one that's portable enough (or a second one to take to use there lol)
    why dont you just buy a wrist rest for your keyboard then?

4. Post
    Yeah, I subsequently discovered some of them haha, so I'm thinking of going for a Ducky because they seem to be well priced and good quality

5. Post
    Also like how Most mech keyboards dont have all that bling gamer type shit that makes KB's looks like ass. Just a straight up KB with numberpad.

6. Post
    The_Pard wrote:
    Yeah, I subsequently discovered some of them haha, so I'm thinking of going for a Ducky because they seem to be well priced and good quality
    I'm thinking this also, because all the others lack media/volume keys. I dont care for macros, this G110 i have has never had a single macro used. I don't really care for backlights either, i don't look at my keyboard or use my PC in the dark.

7. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    I'm thinking this also, because all the others lack media/volume keys. I dont care for macros, this G110 i have has never had a single macro used. I don't really care for backlights either, i don't look at my keyboard or use my PC in the dark.
    Problem is though bro, all the places that sell Duckys seem ridiculously low on stock. If you find somewhere that has them, we could do a double order to save shipping costs

8. Post
    Yeah the DK9000G2 was my second choice since I wanted a 10Keyless Ninja model instead. Not much stock anywhere.

9. Post
    Was PBT your first choice?
    At this stage what you have seems to be best for what i'm after.
    The_Pard wrote:
    Problem is though bro, all the places that sell Duckys seem ridiculously low on stock. If you find somewhere that has them, we could do a double order to save shipping costs
    Keen for this, though i hate NZ courier costs these days, it ends up being bloody $15 to ship anything anywhere

10. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    Was PBT your first choice?
    At this stage what you have seems to be best for what i'm after.
    The Ninja doesn't need PBT as the key faces are on the front of the keys.

11. Post
    Do all the PCHome ones have Chinese and English characters on them?

12. Post
    ooh is anyone keen on a MO on keycaps? http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.p...om-keycap.html maybe if we get enough quantity I can negotiate a discount?

13. Post
    Steelseries or go home.

14. Post
    Fortris wrote:
    Steelseries or go home.
    Would buy a steelseries if they offered a MX Brown. They only have black and red.

15. Post
    eXDee wrote:
    Do all the PCHome ones have Chinese and English characters on them?
    They don't. There's a drop down box above the add to cart button where you select English or Chinese.

16. Post
    Ah sweet. Okay. Hmmmm its too bad tigerimports is so expensive on shipping =/

17. Post
    I was looking at a Mechanical keyboard as my current keyboard which got run over by a car about 5 years ago is starting to not register some key presses. Coincidentally we just got new Dell workstations at work and the keyboard that it came with is suprisingly nice to type on It's not mechanical but it's miles ahead of the old work keyboards and sadly my own home one as well.It's one of these http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...n&sku=331-2249

That's what's decided it for me really I now enjoy typing more at work than I do at home which is O_o Pretty sure I'm going for a Das Keyboard Pro Model S.

18. Post
    PChome's removed the 9K9000G2 now, so looks like they aren't getting more of them in a hurry.

Does anyone know anywhere else aside from super-expensive shipping Tiger Imports where you can get Duckys?

Or maybe I'll just have to go with a backlit one, but all the good colours are out of stock too.

FML

19. Post
    Proxyep wrote:
    All the above points made by the people are true.

once you switch to a mechanical you wouldn't wanna go back.
    I would happily go back to a cheap $20 keyboard, Im still not convinced that the black widow was worth it tbh..although I was glad i could move the caps button

20. Post
    Mek7 wrote:
    I was looking at a Mechanical keyboard as my current keyboard which got run over by a car about 5 years ago is starting to not register some key presses. Coincidentally we just got new Dell workstations at work and the keyboard that it came with is suprisingly nice to type on It's not mechanical but it's miles ahead of the old work keyboards and sadly my own home one as well.It's one of these http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...n&sku=331-2249

That's what's decided it for me really I now enjoy typing more at work than I do at home which is O_o Pretty sure I'm going for a Das Keyboard Pro Model S.
    yeah those dell's are Scissor-switch keyboard‎s so think of it as some sort of hybrid

21. Post
    I have a filco majestouch brown.

It's pretty juicy.

22. Post
    undead_knight wrote:
    I would happily go back to a cheap $20 keyboard, Im still not convinced that the black widow was worth it tbh..although I was glad i could move the caps button
    Cheap $20 kbd no way. But a decent one for 100~150max yes.

The price of mechanical keyboards well over the $150 mark is asking a bit much. For 220 bux I'd expect full media keys and an lcd screen ala g15 but mechanical.
    I spammed the admin forum and all i got was a custom tag telling me I'm a tool

23. Post
    169 at Mighty Ape... HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm TEMPTED>

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=878868

LOL, NVM - looks like they've sold out the last 3 that were in stock and now are charging $250 haha what a joke.
    I spammed the admin forum and all i got was a custom tag telling me I'm a tool

24. Post
    Will bump this rather than making a new thread.

Ended up going with a Ducky DK9008S with brown switches. Bought from PChome late last week and it arrived this afternoon. Excellent service from them, I must say.

The keyboard is pretty awesome too. It does have the backlighting, which I didn't particularly want, but it does look pretty badass. Nice and plain.

But mainly. OMFG, it's sex to type on

Ironically, after watching NZ retailers for so long back in June to see if anyone stocked mech keyboards, I notice Playtech have started stocking them now. I didn't look here before I got this one from PChome, but I did save around $10 in the end, so not too bad

25. Post
    Still waiting for a Tenkeyless Filco Ninja Brown. My 9000G2 is keeping me happy though.