Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    I also demand for the inclusion of customisable beagles because dogs are people too.

3. Post
    i want to play as a potato

WHY AM I BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST

4. Post
    Eh, pretty lazy to not include the choice, especially because of Ripley.

Ripley

5. Post
    I think this petition is perfectly fair, and flippant remarks such as those above aren't at all helpful.

6. Post
    James wrote:
    I think this petition is perfectly fair, and flippant remarks such as those above aren't at all helpful.
    +1

7. Post
    Seems like a pretty major thing to overlook considering the lore from the movies.

Will be stupid if there are no female characters in SP either.

8. Post
    Wasn't there several female marine in Aliens? Vasquez etc

9. Post
    werewolves? wrote:
    Seems like a pretty major thing to overlook considering the lore from the movies.
    Exactly. It's not like they're basing it off something that had exclusively male characters and trying to be true to it or something. It just seems super lazy. Whether they intended to discriminate or not is unclear, but I guess we'll find out when or if they respond to this petition. /signed

Edit:
    James wrote:
    You don't mean mine surely?

10. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Yep, indeed Vasquez always strikes me as the archetypical colonial marine!

11. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Vasquez the grunt, Ferro the pilot, and Dietrich the medic.

12. Post
    JoeSkie wrote:
    Vasquez the grunt, Ferro the pilot, and Dietrich the medic.
    We're in the pipe 5 by 5

13. Post
    Smart move.
    They will probably have a paid dlc on release for the female option.

That way the onus is on the user.
    "OMG you skimped on the $15, you're such a misogynist"

14. Post
    Peagles wrote:
    You don't mean mine surely?
    Of course not

15. Post
    Yea pretty ironic considering that Alien was groundbreaking for its treatment of women.

I'm not surprised at all to see retarded comments about potatoes and dogs. Gaming culture seems to be stuck in the 80s at the moment.

16. Post
    Murakami wrote:
    not surprised at all to see retarded comments
    Indeed. Reading this article yesterday made me embarrassed for mandom: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/ga...-virtual-world

17. Post
    I would've said that having no women would be justified, since there's no female infantryman in most IRL armed forces, but then we had Vasquez in the Aliens film.

18. Post
    There are loads of female infrantry in most armies. They'd make easily over 10% possibly even 20% of most countries defence forces.

19. Post
    Vasquez was more man then some of the men (hudson), in Aliens.

20. Post
    No doubt there will be different classes of marine, just make the scout or otherwise weaker-but-faster classes have titties, problem solved.

21. Post
    werewolves? wrote:
    We're in the pipe 5 by 5
    Beat me to it.

A female speaks one of the most memorable lines in the movie!

Vasky is my favorite smart gun operator and my favorite member of the team besides Hudson.

Good on them, without female marines it wouldn't feel the same.

22. Post
    Vasquez is my favourite grunt in Aliens. Bad ass bug killing machine

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
    Vasquez: No. Have you?

Vasquez: LETS ROCK!!!!!

Seriously not including female Marines in an Alien game is a bit on the nose. It is renowned as one of the greatest female protagonist action films of all time.
    Poor form Gearbox.

23. Post
    Vasquez is bad ass and has some of the best quotes in Aliens, as crycore has stated above

EvaUnit02 wrote:
    I would've said that having no women would be justified, since there's no female infantryman in most IRL armed forces, but then we had Vasquez in the Aliens film.
    Not too sure what you're basing your opinion on, but there's a decent number of females in the NZ army who were training alongside my wife. And no, they were in infantry and were not stuck as store workers or medics.

24. Post
    JoeSkie wrote:
    Vasquez is bad ass and has some of the best quotes in Aliens, as crycore has stated above

Not too sure what you're basing your opinion on, but there's a decent number of females in the NZ army who were training alongside my wife. And no, they were in infantry and were not stuck as store workers or medics.
    Ok, have a look at stats for male:female ratio in frontline combat units i.e. what a typical marine would be doing as a real life invading/guerilla soldier and is also the action mainly portrayed in FPS games. From a real stand point, women dont make sense. However Aliens is known for its manly women.

25. Post
    Nakor wrote:
    Ok, have a look at stats for male:female ratio in frontline combat units i.e. what a typical marine would be doing as a real life invading/guerilla soldier and is also the action mainly portrayed in FPS games. From a real stand point, women dont make sense.
    There are plenty of women in front-line infantry roles across the world, obviously not as many as men, but still plenty. The action portrayed by FPS games is not even remotely realistic and doesn't represent anything real armies would ever do.