1. Arrow

Where are you now?

That birthday thread got me thinking, its been a while. Whats everyone up to?

I joined the old forums in August 2000 after my brother showed me the half life mod, pretty much got addicted straight away. I was 17 and had all the time in the world.
    I used to play like 10 hours a day but was never very good so I would to hide behind boxes/walls/corners all the time which worked enough times to keep doing it.
    Pretty much got into the clan scene and attended a few WCGs and all the big Auckland LANS. Great times, met so many awesome people over the years.
    After the 2006 WCG fiasco I ran outa willpower, drive and motivation to keep playing. Think it ran its course though that is when source took over and I think I played 2007 WCG with Solja?

During my CS gaming I was coaching tennis part-time, playing heaps of tennis and golf and studying various things from tourism to IT. After CS I got into WoW and played that a lot....last couple years not so much since I got married in April 2011 (Brendan aka Kokain was the best man, a mate I first met on cs_oilrig, haha), wife is not a gamer so try not to play when shes around but we couldn't be happier .
    Recently been playing a lot of Heroes of Newerth, indoor soccer (with Kokain), tennis, squash and I am in my final year of a Bachelor of Education (Primary School Teacher).

Tried to play CS the other day but yeah prefer HoN at the moment and so the gaming time I do have spent on that right now.

Be interested to see what everyone is up to Can't believe I will be 30 next year....

2. Post
    Hey dudes

Not gaming as much as i use to, i'm sure everyone is on the same boat. Still have a decent gaming rig and play the odd game of SC2 TF2 and whatever. Still go to SMG LANs and have a few quiets with the Halo boyz.

Did a 6 year stint for game studio Sidhe, i was their first fulltime IT staff member, and did it solo for 4 years. Work at Weta Digital now, it's awesome.

Got married few years back. No kids yet

As most of you know i'm in one of the top pipe bands in the world. End of last year i took over as Lead drummer of Manawatu which is a big achievement of mine. I currently teach 3-4 nights a week, organise events in my region and run a few drum corps.

December 2011 in Palmy

August 2011 in Northern Ireland

3. Post
    Looking sharp lads! Good on ya!

4. Post
    Will find time to write a speal at some stage ... damn work keeping me far too busy.

5. Post
    Great idea Phil, I was thinking exactly the same thing after reading that thread..

Early Days

My first exposure to CS was in 2002, I was a year 12 and my University mates invited me over to join them at a LAN. The odd thing was this LAN took place at Canterbury University (the Crypt to be precise). If you studied/study at Canterbury Uni and you've ever wondered why the Crypt isn't open 24 hours... now you know.

First CSNZ clan was [M4H]. We had a decent team (hellscraper, vanadium, kharmis, Gibbi) and it was a really solid entry point for me considering I used to play on Treshna servers.

Competitive Days

Never really broke into any 'Invite' level teams during my time playing 1.3-1.6 however my early adoption of Source paid off. After my beloved .ar clan split up, I took a stab and decided to join the new kids on the blockÖ a bunch of Ďrandomsí who called themselves NewType. Nobody had heard of Grudge, Atvar or Supertech at this stage but these guys were insanely hell bent on winning and we spent 6-7 hours a night, every night playing Australians where we eventually toppled all of their top teams. With most of the top CSNZ players still tied up in 1.6, we were fairly unstoppable winning xLAN after xLAN and nearly every online comp we entered.

As you can tell from the clip below, the boys were very stressful to play with though

The Decline

Things went downhill for me after that in a competitive sense. My final year University exams kicked in and I wasnít able to sustain the level of play needed to stay up with the rest. After several attempts to get back to the top, the final straw was a NewType revival attempt that didnít make it past xLAN pool play.

Where I'm At

Somehow, I managed to get a degree in CS (Computer Science) and have been working as a UX Designer at http://firetrust.com ever since graduation. Iím also somewhat of an entrepreneur, some of you may remember my first company http://chatflow.net.

I started http://lazywormapps.com with a friend last year and we're trying to build a business on top of Microsoftís new ecosystem ( Windows Phone and Windows 8 ). We are the guys behind http://metrotubeapp.com and http://tweetroapp.com, fairly popular apps currently available on the Windows Phone and Windows 8 Marketplaces.

Thankfully, I donít sit on my ass all day and still make use of my lightning reflexes Iím absolutely in love with ĎFustalí (Indoor Soccer). Have been playing at the top level for a few years now, Iím keeper for Mainland (Canterubry) team. You may have spotted me on Sky Sports being interviewed after we got thrashed in the National Finals by Auckland.

Looking Back

I never thought I would ever be in a position to say this however I actually owe alot to CS.. I would have never gotten into the tech industry had I not been obsessed with gaming during those years and the hours of focus, intense game play and desire to succeed has actually helped me alot in many aspects of my life. Of course, even if it was a complete waste of time, the people and friends I met during those years made it worth it

Would I tell my 17 year old self to do it again.. Yep.

6. Post
    Been awhile..
    I haven't been gaming since i quit cs. in 1.5 i think. Started by joining FTW, met blacklotus, we teamed up and played in clans together for the next couple of years. Played for ~wave at the original wcg, that was mac, lotus, myself, kyza, hades. we lost the final to [r] which was slaughter, brad'r, cspoon, john'a and someone i cant remember.
    Cant really remember how it all went after that, played for NZP at a lan, formed Gx5 to compete versus [r], original Gx5 was myself, lotus, spinal, stubacca and xerup. players came and went but the core players of me lotus and xerup stuck at it until it was time to go get a real life! loved every minute of it. thanks for the rivalry spoot and the others we used to compete against!

7. Post
    Cr@zyArab wrote:
    Looking Back

I never thought I would ever be in a position to say this however I actually owe alot to CS.. I would have never gotten into the tech industry had I not been obsessed with gaming during those years and the hours of focus, intense game play and desire to succeed has actually helped me alot in many aspects of my life. Of course, even if it was a complete waste of time, the people and friends I met during those years made it worth it

8. Post
    I've been playing DayZ lately, turns out that one of the guys I am playing with is one of the guys I played with in my first CS clan ever when I was 11-12ish.
    I always see crazy arabs car as well, just down the road from my house.

9. Post
    Hello!

We are all getting old Spoot
    One word this year Travel!
    Currently at a friends house in London. Quit my job at the end of last year to do some travelling this year.
    Been to Japan and Europe. Loved Japan definitely going to go back, Tokyo is amazing.
    Tried to go to as many gigs over here as possible because you just don't get the chance in NZ.
    Highlight would be Optimus Alive in Portugal.
    Back to NZ next week then Planing to move to Oz next year because the girlfriend will be studying there.

Couple of pics from the adventures:

DSC_1061_Enhancer by JaymzNZ, on Flickr

IMG_0911 by JaymzNZ, on Flickr

10. Post
    ahhh memories.

Completely forgot about you cease, good CS times back in the day. Agreed we've all gotten old. Cant believe my forums account from May 2000. Cant even remember when I quit for forever, maybe when WoW came out?..I do recall i was one of those who wrote a quit thread only to come back soon after . Couldn't resist being a stats whore on gamerz/recoil servers. I believe Spoot you were also a notorious stat whore :P

I think my fav CS days were back when Colosseum was around and at its peak. Who else was in that coloseum schools CS comp. I think us Rangitoto college won one of them. Good fun. Beat those westlake nubs in final i think.. was that Reg and some other guys in there?

Now im married and working as a developer at IT company in auckland. Not much time to really get into and enjoy games now, although i did make a exception recently for Diablo3, which im sick of now in its current state.

*hah, just saw my sig and reminded me, spoot glad to see your still in clan kp!

11. Post
    I'm living in australia perth, working for IAG as a sales consultant.. 20 years old.

e-penitentiary are still friends today, for all you lovers.

12. Post
    bahaha crazyarab....I'm one of the few that can relate to the "stressful"ness of playing with nt. The amount of different personalities in that team probably made it so successful in the end.

Those were the days...I remember taking two weeks off work to go to midcity internet cafe each night while to practise for the CGS competition. Atvar's condescending disappointed voice still haunts me in my sleep

I'm currently in my last semester of my Computer Science degree. I still play games like diablo 3 and starcraft 2 and might even give CS:GO a jam when it comes out.

13. Post
    Not as badly as some of your noobie mistakes horrify me to this day :P

14. Post
    Yeah I owe a bit to CS aswell, got obsessed with the whole military thing and actually joined the Army haha...

Litte bit different to online play but still fun

15. Post
    Cr@zyArab wrote:
    Great idea Phil, I was thinking exactly the same thing after reading that thread..

Early Days

My first exposure to CS was in 2002, I was a year 12 and my University mates invited me over to join them at a LAN. The odd thing was this LAN took place at Canterbury University (the Crypt to be precise). If you studied/study at Canterbury Uni and you've ever wondered why the Crypt isn't open 24 hours... now you know.

First CSNZ clan was [M4H]. We had a decent team (hellscraper, vanadium, kharmis, Gibbi) and it was a really solid entry point for me considering I used to play on Treshna servers.

Competitive Days

Never really broke into any 'Invite' level teams during my time playing 1.3-1.6 however my early adoption of Source paid off. After my beloved .ar clan split up, I took a stab and decided to join the new kids on the block… a bunch of ‘randoms’ who called themselves NewType. Nobody had heard of Grudge, Atvar or Supertech at this stage but these guys were insanely hell bent on winning and we spent 6-7 hours a night, every night playing Australians where we eventually toppled all of their top teams. With most of the top CSNZ players still tied up in 1.6, we were fairly unstoppable winning xLAN after xLAN and nearly every online comp we entered.

As you can tell from the clip below, the boys were very stressful to play with though

The Decline

Things went downhill for me after that in a competitive sense. My final year University exams kicked in and I wasn’t able to sustain the level of play needed to stay up with the rest. After several attempts to get back to the top, the final straw was a NewType revival attempt that didn’t make it past xLAN pool play.

Where I'm At

Somehow, I managed to get a degree in CS (Computer Science) and have been working as a UX Designer at http://firetrust.com ever since graduation. I’m also somewhat of an entrepreneur, some of you may remember my first company http://chatflow.net.

I started http://lazywormapps.com with a friend last year and we're trying to build a business on top of Microsoft’s new ecosystem ( Windows Phone and Windows 8 ). We are the guys behind http://metrotubeapp.com and http://tweetroapp.com, fairly popular apps currently available on the Windows Phone and Windows 8 Marketplaces.

Thankfully, I don’t sit on my ass all day and still make use of my lightning reflexes I’m absolutely in love with ‘Fustal’ (Indoor Soccer). Have been playing at the top level for a few years now, I’m keeper for Mainland (Canterubry) team. You may have spotted me on Sky Sports being interviewed after we got thrashed in the National Finals by Auckland.

Looking Back

Rest in Paradise, brother. The world is a worse place without you.

Gone but never forgotten.

16. Post
    spoot wrote:
    That birthday thread got me thinking, its been a while. Whats everyone up to?

I joined the old forums in August 2000 after my brother showed me the half life mod, pretty much got addicted straight away. I was 17 and had all the time in the world.
    I used to play like 10 hours a day but was never very good so I would to hide behind boxes/walls/corners all the time which worked enough times to keep doing it.
    Pretty much got into the clan scene and attended a few WCGs and all the big Auckland LANS. Great times, met so many awesome people over the years.
    After the 2006 WCG fiasco I ran outa willpower, drive and motivation to keep playing. Think it ran its course though that is when source took over and I think I played 2007 WCG with Solja?

During my CS gaming I was coaching tennis part-time, playing heaps of tennis and golf and studying various things from tourism to IT. After CS I got into WoW and played that a lot....last couple years not so much since I got married in April 2011 (Brendan aka Kokain was the best man, a mate I first met on cs_oilrig, haha), wife is not a gamer so try not to play when shes around but we couldn't be happier .
    Recently been playing a lot of Heroes of Newerth, indoor soccer (with Kokain), tennis, squash and I am in my final year of a Bachelor of Education (Primary School Teacher).

Tried to play CS the other day but yeah prefer HoN at the moment and so the gaming time I do have spent on that right now. Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

Be interested to see what everyone is up to Can't believe I will be 30 next year....
    Will find time to write a speal at some stage
    Last edited by amirovilivasso; 12th June 2019 at 9:15 am.

17. Post
    Will find time to write a speal at some stage ... damn work keeping me far too busy. Bigg Boss 13