Auckland Property Prices

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 4406

1. Post
    The best time to buy is always yesterday.

2. Post
    bradc wrote:
    The best time to buy is always yesterday.
    If you'd done that just before the1929 Wall St crash, you wouldn't be saying that.

You'd be jumping out the skyscraper window.

3. Post
    Pretty sure anyone who bought and held property in 1929 is doing quite well today.

If you want to shit yourself and suck a tail pipe over short term issues that's on you.

4. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Pretty sure anyone who bought and held property in 1929 is doing quite well today.

If you want to shit yourself and suck a tail pipe over short term issues that's on you.
    Wall St was mainly shares.

All the shoe shine boys took a bath.

Maybe I got off topic.

5. Post
    You could probably say the same for shares also. Obviously not Kodak shares, but most of the others have done pretty well.

6. Post
    bradc wrote:
    You could probably say the same for shares also. Obviously not Kodak shares, but most of the others have done pretty well.
    A lot of them were junk, gold mines etc.

Same as us in the 80's finance companies, internet startups etc.

They never came back.

7. Post
    A $40 Coca Cola share back then is worth 9.8 million now. Just make solid investments.

8. Post
    Ok, OK.

Warren Buffett is probably wishing he had your crystal ball.

9. Post
    He did?

10. Post
    Jewjew wrote:
    Prices fall 7-10% every. single. January.

It's no surprise.
    Even one roof, a very pro housing investment mouth piece that pretty much owns the nzherald in advertising put up an article about prices and they reckon prices could keep dropping in Auckland in the medium term

https://m.oneroof.co.nz/news/35973?ref=nzhhome

11. Post
    Eh? One roof is owned by the nz herald (well, nzme)

12. Post
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a great story.

13. Post
    We just purchased our first house in Auckland. Way down south in Papakura since it was what we could afford.
    Last edited by Sunlight; 18th February 2019 at 7:28 pm.

14. Post
    Bought in the peak reporting in.

To be honest I'm happy that house prices are going down because it's absolutely needed. Yeah I'll lose money on it which is lame, however, my money isn't going into the 'blackhole of renting', and i like my house so hopefully stay here for a few years and recover over time

15. Post
    You only lose money if you sell. If you sell and buy in the same market / area, you lose nothing. I purchased originally in 2007 in what was the peak back then. Held it for seven years and the fact I purchased at the peak meant nothing as prices once again headed up after the plateau.

16. Post
    Sunlight wrote:
    We just purchased our first hole in Auckland. Way down south in Papakura since it was what we could afford.
    That's not a nice thing to call your house.

17. Post
    How is life living out south in general?
    lets say from around the botanic garden offramp hill road to takanini offramp and papakura?
    this is probably the last affordable place until they finish up building in drury and beyond.
    commute times from takanini to greenlane/city abou 45 mins-1 hour each way?

18. Post
    focus wrote:
    commute times from takanini to greenlane/city abou 45 mins-1 hour each way?
    That sounds optimistic considering it takes that time to commute from Howick/Bucklands Beach to the city and that is half the distance.

19. Post
    brand wrote:
    That sounds optimistic considering it takes that time to commute from Howick/Bucklands Beach to the city and that is half the distance.
    Bucklands Beach is relatively isolated though isn't it, from highways/motorways?

20. Post
    ajaxx wrote:
    Bought in the peak reporting in.

To be honest I'm happy that house prices are going down because it's absolutely needed. Yeah I'll lose money on it which is lame, however, my money isn't going into the 'blackhole of renting', and i like my house so hopefully stay here for a few years and recover over time
    If you plan to hold long term it shouldn't matter too much. People were saying a similar thing in 2009/10 and look what happened.

21. Post
    but howick/bucklands is a horrible place in terms of traffic flow because there is 1 route pretty much and no alternative.

I think 45 minutes from takanini to greenlane or lets say mt wellington is reasonable, probably add another 30 mins to the city.

22. Post
    I couldn't think of much worse. Even if you value your time and vehicle costs at $30 an hour that's like 16 grand a year just to drive to work. Or around 300 grand of mortgage to live closer.

23. Post
    ^ Warkworth/Wellsford or Awhitu or Kawakawa Bay

24. Post
    Yes also. In fact anything over half an hour can eat a bag of dicks.

25. Post
    bradc wrote:
    I couldn't think of much worse. Even if you value your time and vehicle costs at $30 an hour that's like 16 grand a year just to drive to work. Or around 300 grand of mortgage to live closer.
    For your average salary slave, the $ benefit of extra time in the morning and evening is not so direct though. For most people, probably more relevant to factor in costs that are directly related to the long commute.

There are of course, a whole heap of non-financial benefits that come with not having to spend 2 hours commuting each day.