Star Citizen – Chris Roberts

Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average.
(13 votes)

1. Post
    Alpha? Delivery Nov 2014.. hmmmm LONG way down the track, not sure where I will be in my life at that stage so I will likely go for a small donation to start with....

Scratch that, seems Alpha is Xmas 2012?? Maybe the other Lancer and Wingnut ships will take a long time to get in game or something, its hard to tell exactly when each part of what you purchase is going to be delivered.

2. Post
    SteveE wrote:
    Website is back up. Also, you can pledge small now and top up later if you want to.
    even after the 30 days?

3. Post
    Corruptfacta wrote:
    even after the 30 days?
    Yes:

Ben Lesnick:
    “The plan is to let you increase your pledge after the 30 days… but we may have different packages available at that time! (We’re running low on some already…)”

4. Post
    My load has been blown.

Just saw the 11 minute feature on YouTube. Looks to be one of the largest undertakings in gaming, ever.

I am certainly going to donate.

5. Post
    ^

6. Post
    i find it ironic that he is using a console controller to navigate around on his PC game

7. Post
    I don't, game pads are comfy.

also, pledged. Hope this comes through. Those of you that have pledged, did you ask for your pledge to be returned if the target isn't met?

8. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    i find it ironic that he is using a console controller to navigate around on his PC game
    Also lol'd at this. Considering how he is fighting to save PC gaming and bring it back its former glory.

9. Post
    You want him to make hardware or software?

10. Post
    SteveE wrote:
    You want him to make hardware or software?
    I want him to make software that is designed to be used with PC hardware (keyboards and mice).

11. Post
    He's explicitly said he's going to make it work with all sorts of controllers, keyboard, mouse, controller, joystick, pedals, even VR.

I personally don't play flight sims or racing games with keyboard and mouse, I use a joystick or console controller because it's a better tool. A controller allows 2 analogue sticks and many accessible buttons, this is probably better for a space sim.

That's the PC way, adapt whatever tool works best. Nothing wrong with adapting a console controller to work with PC games.

The bonus with using a PC over a console for Roberts, aside from the graphical advantage, is that you can still use a mouse and keyboard for everything else. He's not going to make it a dumbed-down console controller game, it's only there to assist flight if you want to.

12. Post
    ...come on occulus rift support.

I keep getting boners over the different games the OR can be used in.

13. Post
    DumKopf wrote:
    The bonus with using a PC over a console for Chris, aside from the graphical advantage, is that you can still use a mouse and keyboard for everything else. He's not going to make it a dumbed-down console controller game, it's only there to assist flight if you want to.
    As long as that is the case. If everything can be done with a controller then the idea is missed. Imagain trying to play EVE or something similar with 14 buttons and two analog sticks?

14. Post
    I think Roberts is aiming for a space combat simulator with MMO elements. Not a straight MMO with MMO controls.

It's real dog fighting, there's talk of reducing shields to give more power to the directional thrusters to improve turning circles. You'll need an analogue stick to be the best pilot, just like a flight sim.

15. Post
    Which I have no problems with. Just as long as he doesn't try and cram everything onto a control pad, or limit functionality because it doesn't fit onto a controller.

Have a reason to get the old joystick out of storage would be great.

16. Post
    Just edited my posts. Sounded a bit too friendly referring to him on a first name basis lol.

17. Post
    I don't know the man either but if his mission was to build a PC powerhouse of a game and then build it around console limitations then he wouldn't get much money pledged at all.

Mouse and keyboard has limitations, so do console controllers and joysticks. Flying a ship like they do in Star Trek (how does that work anyway?) would be no fun at all and I've tried really hard to like joysticks but I'm just shit with them. Console controllers are easy to use but don't really give the sense of immersion that he seems to be striving for. A full on yoke might be cool...?

18. Post
    He had a joystick on bench which he shows and its clear that is his preferred control. The joypad is simply used to help demo the game off to people as its a pick up and go, no doubt it would kinda lack for precision dog-fighting.

19. Post
    Seems like a very ambitious project to me and one that I hope turns out well.

I really enjoyed freespace 1 / 2, freelancer and privateer, and while they might be abit arcadey I'm sure I and many others could get into a new space sim.

20. Post
    it was just a personal observation from me, not an attack on Roberts . I do understand how having a console would really help appeal to the masses, console controllers are easy to use, and familiar to the masses of button smashers . I understand the limitations of the console controller as well but meh, he is only shooting for a 2 mill funding when the average funding for the big studios is 10 times that. So i will be completely fine if he is forced to limit the control interface to console controllers. I was always a mouse and keyboard flier , never did use joystick analogues well enough .

looks good , pledged already. If he can do the MMO etc that would be awesome but 2 mill seems low imho.

21. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    So i will be completely fine if he is forced to limit the control interface to console controllers.
    Good for you, but that highly likely won't happen. The game will probably support a wide range of input device hardware (working in any combination), including kb+m and joystick.

I'd imagine that if this game gets made and matches Roberts' vision, then it'll probably be the game that a lot of people wanted EVE to be like (i.e. play like Privateer and not Microsoft Excel).

22. Post
    RedNZ wrote:
    ...come on occulus rift support.

I keep getting boners over the different games the OR can be used in.
    Oh my! Now that's what I'm talking about!

23. Post
    Seeing as its got offline singleplayer mode, and i enjoyed the wing commander games, this could be good.

24. Post

25. Post
    pledged

on the official site not the kickstarter though, seems weird how they have 2 crowd funding sites O_o