Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

New hard drive

Hey i'm looking for a new 2TB drive to replace some 500GB's that i have...what would you guys recommend out of these 2?

WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GREEN WD20EARX 2TB 64MB CACHE SATA3
    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=15517

or

SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB 6GB/S SATA3
    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=16199

Both have 2 year warranty and both are same price...
    Seems like the seagate offers more performance for the money?

Thanks

2. Post
    What enviroment they going in , 24/7 , NAS , HTPC , RAID ??

3. Post
    Just a normal home pc for storage - non raid. Will be mounted internally. Power saving is not really an issue, more focused on reliablity and performance i guess.
    Thanks

4. Post
    EviLClouD wrote:
    Just a normal home pc for storage - non raid. Will be mounted internally. Power saving is not really an issue, more focused on reliablity and performance i guess.
    Thanks
    WD Caviar Black 5-year warranty.
    Hitachi Ultrastar 5-year warranty.

5. Post
    Would go for the WD Green personally.

6. Post
    Can some one say the price of the WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GREEN? Dial up speeds are killing me.

7. Post
    sic.verse wrote:
    Can some one say the price of the WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GREEN? Dial up speeds are killing me.
    ~$149 at Computer Lounge, Playtech or PB Tech

8. Post
    If its for a media centre/storage box i'd go for the WD Green, if its for a gaming rig I'd go for a WD Black

9. Post
    I just got the Seagate 2 TB that you linked. It works, I can say that much. Have to see how reliable it is in the long run.

10. Post
    Ragnor wrote:
    ~$149 at Computer Lounge, Playtech or PB Tech
    $15 more from Ascent (they're advertising a 5 year warranty.)

11. Post
    In recent times I've never had any issues with Seagate drives. I've used Barracuda XT's the new Barracuda 3TB (which is faster than the 2TB XT) so I would honestly have to say barracuda. Although if you can stretch for a WD Caviar Black they are fantastic drives aswell.

12. Post
    How noisy is the WD black? Im thinking of getting one of these?

13. Post
    EviLClouD wrote:
    How noisy is the WD black? Im thinking of getting one of these?
    Pretty quiet dude, I just installed a new one last night and its whisper quiet compared to my WD Green 1tb

14. Post
    No different than other, I have a WD Black 1TB, Barracuda XT 2TB, Barracuda 3TB and a barracuda 1TB Green, all relatively the same.

15. Post
    Sweet. I've got an older sata 3gbs WD black which is kinda noisy but not too bad. As long as the noise levels are relatively the same it should be sweet! Thanks!

16. Post
    Would go for Hitachi over Seagate and WD in terms of reliability.

I've had a couple WD green drives crap out (most recently 750gb green) and Seagate arent much better e.g. the 3tb Constellation drive has a 12% return rate over the last 18 months, whereas the Hitachi Ultrastar 3tb has 0 returns over the last 18 months (from the supplier who gave me the numbers..)

17. Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hitachi is owned by Western Digital...

18. Post
    +1 for 2012's 1TB platter Barracuda line.

19. Post
    The 1tb platter seagates apparently have a chirping issue? Im a bit skeptical about that...

20. Post
    It's the HDD I'm running, same as sayonara, never had a issue.

21. Post
    EviLClouD wrote:
    The 1tb platter seagates apparently have a chirping issue? Im a bit skeptical about that...
    Chirping issue?

Might be an issue with a particular batch, mine was one of the earliest (bought at the start of the year) and it's doing fine.

22. Post

23. Post
    simblor wrote:
    Would go for Hitachi over Seagate and WD in terms of reliability.

I've had a couple WD green drives crap out (most recently 750gb green) and Seagate arent much better e.g. the 3tb Constellation drive has a 12% return rate over the last 18 months, whereas the Hitachi Ultrastar 3tb has 0 returns over the last 18 months (from the supplier who gave me the numbers..)
    Unless I'm missing something, those Hitachi drives are 3-4 times the price of the WD and Seagate drives mentioned in this thread.

24. Post
    Dairusire wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hitachi is owned by Western Digital...
    You're correct, but that was only in 2011 and production is still seperate.

saajiik wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something, those Hitachi drives are 3-4 times the price of the WD and Seagate drives mentioned in this thread.
    Hitachi make enterprise rated drives, so you get enterprise rated reliability, but yes - also at enterprise rated costs

25. Post
    I've been put off Seagate after my recent debacle with a faulty 1TB one after a few months. Then again it is hardware and this happens from time to time