1. Post

Pokemon Games GBA

Hi guys,

After the early Pokemon games from the GBA era. Problem is, if buying off Ebay or TM, how can you tell if a copy is legitimate or bootlegged?

Is there anywhere else can find copies of the games?

Thanks for any help in advance

2. Post
    I would say the easiest way to determine the authenticity would be via the cartridge and its label.

Luckily, there's this guide & this guide on how to identify bootleg cartridges.

To be honest, I'd steer clear of any cartridges on Trade Me that have the American label on them, as they're more prone to be counterfeited. There might be exceptions to the rule, such as the boxed Player's Choice version.

But ideally, you'd be looking for this since it has an Australian code in the corner.

3. Post
    Thanks heaps for the info and links. There's not a lot on TM, hence why I was turning to Ebay, but really didn't want to be caught out.

Is there any suggestions of where I maybe able to pick up one second hand? I'll have a look at EB games at some stage.

4. Post
    l33t k1w1 is 100% on the money - If you stick to NZ/Aus released games then you will be getting legit copies. American version are the all too common counterfeit models and have been showing up all over the place.

Ebay UK has many legit copies, just use the previously posted guide and you should be ok.

If you find a boxed emerald i suggest buying it on the spot, they are much rarer than the other versions.

5. Post
    Thanks for the advice. I guess would rather buy in person, or at least in NZ, only because I'm impatient. But I'll check out UK Ebay rather than US And I'll post an ad in here.

6. Post
    I would keep a close eye on this if your not after boxed copies

http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/othe...-519607216.htm

7. Post
    Haydinho wrote:

Just had a good laugh at the QnA...

The good thing about eBay is if you buy a fake, you can get your money back via Paypal.

8. Post
    Haydinho wrote:

Saw that but really don't need the other bits and pieces. Don't need boxes

9. Post
    Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

10. Post
    Of course, you can just buy a random copy of Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green and see if it tells you to die or not.

11. Post
    Haha

12. Post
    Aren't there issues with the older cartridges running out of battery for the save data memory? Could be an issue to be aware of, they only last 10 or so years.

13. Post
    Only gameboy series games, gba games don't use the battery for holding save game information, only for time based events.

14. Post
    Answered above

15. Post
    Haydinho wrote:
    Only gameboy series games, gba games don't use the battery for holding save game information, only for time based events.
    bootlegs use battery

16. Post
    joshboy wrote:
    bootlegs use battery
    Yes, but I wouldn't get a bootlegged copy for that reason (among others)

17. Post
    Still lookin' for games? I have a copy of Emerald somewhere and Fire Red somewhere else... pretty sure I had Ruby but I'm unsure where it is.

18. Post
    You have them boxed?

19. Post
    Negative. Emerald box maybe, but most likely no.

20. Post
    Pm me if it is

21. Post
    How much are you wanting? They are legit?

I have firered already but interested in the other two.

22. Post
    Kitten wrote:
    How much are you wanting? They are legit?

I have firered already but interested in the other two.
    Ummm I don't know. And yeah Emerald is legit, dunno if I have Ruby anymore.

23. Post
    Anyone know of anyone who does gameboy series battery replacements? My Pokemon Yellow cartridge no longer saves, I've also got two Pokemon Gold cartridges in need of refurbishment... and I'm not the kind of person who owns a soldering iron (or wishes to).

24. Post
    OK dude. You don't need to be posting in every old thread that talks about Pokemon. We can see the first 5 you've revived.

25. Post
    Rii wrote:
    OK dude. You don't need to be posting in every old thread that talks about Pokemon. We can see the first 5 you've revived.
    Thx bb. You've been a great help x