Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    8.5?! I was already going to buy this, but I honestly wasn't expecting much. Not to place too much stock in a review but my expectations have been raised somewhat.

3. Post
    Actually looks like it's right down my alley. I quite like AC and Just Cause, at least. I'll probably get it some time next year when it's cheap.

4. Post
    This is such an awesome pic. Imagine walking through the jungle at night and then this beast comes slinking out.

5. Post
    I remember PC powerplay giving Far Cry 2 10/10

Ahahahah

6. Post
    Good review, although I was going to buy it one way or the other

7. Post
    How large is the map? Anyone know?

8. Post
    Saves

You can save at any point when roaming the islands, but not during the campaign missions -- those are checkpoint based, because pointless restrictions are fun. Autosaves happen periodically when roaming the islands, usually when you pick up treasure or free an outpost, and you'll respawn at the nearest liberated tower or outpost when you die. Also, thanks to Uplay, all of your progress can be saved to the cloud. If you're playing offline, your saves will be stored locally. Unfortunately you're stuck with a single save slot that constantly overwrites itself, which is pretty stupid for an open-world game like this. You can't, for example, save your game, try something stupid, and then reload that earlier save.
    Why?? WHY???

9. Post
    A crappy save system! I'm out!

10. Post
    Is that just PS3/360 though?

11. Post
    I don't believe so. I got that from here..

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/far-cry-3/1226715p1.html

That's a massive negative for me. I wish more reviewers would mention these types of things.

12. Post
    Wow, that's a bit shitty.

That's a massive negative for me. I wish more reviewers would mention these types of things.
    To be fair, GP's review was on PS3, where I wouldn't think of that being such a big deal. Pretty dumb happening on PC though.

13. Post
    Yeah it's a pain, but if the saves are stored locally you could always just copy the files to another location then copy them back when you're done with playing like a lunatic.

14. Post
    Hrm this opens up a whole nother level of hardcore...permadeath open world games.

I want this game badly but I'm broke and subsisting on a diet of Steam sale games. Will wait for a pricedrop next year when I expect to sink many hours into this bad boy.

15. Post
    That save mechanic already exists in many games - JC2 being the easiest comparison. I don't get why you'd do something 'stupid' and want to reload - it's a FPS, not an RPG. What is an example of screwing up because everything I've read suggests you just shoot and kill stuff...

16. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    That save mechanic already exists in many games - JC2 being the easiest comparison. I don't get why you'd do something 'stupid' and want to reload - it's a FPS, not an RPG. What is an example of screwing up because everything I've read suggests you just shoot and kill stuff...
    I believe it's a mix of both, actually... even if it's just a silly reviewer line, "Like Skyrim with guns" seems somewhat accurate (at least I hope it is) and if that were the case there would be many situations where I may want to try out annihilating an entire town with some behemoth weapon I just acquired for the hell of it, and then re-load so as to not frivolously waste ammo. Or, like in Skyrim, I want to shoot some friendlies because they're annoying me, with the intent of re-loading to continue the game properly.

It just seems a little retarded, I'd always thought originally PC-centric FPS like this would keep a traditional save-game system, but I guess it was naive to think those days weren't over.

17. Post
    Or another obvious scenario is perhaps you particularly enjoy a certain section of the game and want to replay through with another approach

18. Post
    1 save isnt sounding so flash, but the rest of it sounds pretty darn good! Might have to get this for Christmas...

19. Post
    Yeah, that's a lame save mechanic, but I like the sound of an engaging story. Too few games with that these days. Also sounds like they fixed the flaws of the last game (i.e. respawning outposts/checkpoints - glad you can take them out and make them safe points).

20. Post
    I love/hate the one save rule...

I love how it makes you think more about your actions and their repercussions.

I hate when I do something stupid that makes for terrible repercussions.. go figure.

21. Post
    Interesting - never really had a problem with that save system in Just Cause 2.
    Had no idea of RPG elements in FC3 so it will be interesting to see if the save system conflicts with that.

Hell, with PCs you can pretty much argue why such a save system isn't necessary. It really shouts 'console!' when you can't save at request

22. Post
    The only time I ever want more than 1 save slot is for playing a Bethesda game. Even when playing through the Mass Effect series I just used the 1 save slot, so I don't see it as being an issue for me.

23. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    Interesting - never really had a problem with that save system in Just Cause 2.
    Had no idea of RPG elements in FC3 so it will be interesting to see if the save system conflicts with that.

Hell, with PCs you can pretty much argue why such a save system isn't necessary. It really shouts 'console!' when you can't save at request
    I assume you mean JC2 on console? Because on PC it had lots of save slots.

24. Post
    Hmm I read that as you only have one save slot if you're playing offline/not connected to the internet.

25. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    I assume you mean JC2 on console? Because on PC it had lots of save slots.
    Yeah and thinking about it, it does seem to be more suited to consoles. Doesn't really make sense for PCs