1. Post
    Yeah, now that you can't play non-free champs in Ranked if you don't own them, you're right.

2. Post
    victorious wrote:
    Yeah, now that you can't play non-free champs in Ranked if you don't own them, you're right.
    Translation: You can't play free champs you don't own in ranked.

3. Post
    Haha yeah, I wrote that wrong.

4. Post
    Hey guys/girls~

Just hit 30 on my first account, so I'm a ranked game virgin.

Q: Should I play my 10 placement games straight away or wait a few weeks/months until I'm good enough to be able to help my team mates more?(hate being useless and getting carried or being the sold reason we lose)
    Q: How do the 10 placement games work? like do I get 10 games every so often to see if I place in a different league? or once my initial 10 games over is it just based over all my games?(making it a grind fest)

5. Post
    Dont go straight into ranked, thats the 30's worst mindset. You want to keep practising in normals until you have atleast 3 roles down and atleast 3 champs in each role. Just because you hit 30 doesn't mean you're ready for ranked as there's a lot more idiots and things to take into consideration. Each to their own I guess but I highly recommend getting a few roles down first.

Also as for the placement matches, you play 10 games and depending on how you do, that's where you'll end up to start your division/tier. Most common is Bronze 3 - Silver 4. Then you have to win games to get your LP up and once you get 100 you have to win 2/3 games to move up a Division or 3/5 games to move up a Tier.

So the Tier list goes.

Bronze 5 - 1
    Silver 5 - 1
    Gold 5 - 1
    Platnium 5 - 1
    Diamond 5 - 1
    Challenger

6. Post
    Just play ranked, you will be placed into whatever division you are approximately good enough to help your team mates/your current skill level, so don't worry about that. You will improve much faster playing ranked than normal games. Everyone is "ready" for ranked, if you suck you will be placed with other people who suck, which would be appropriate.

7. Post
    Dang3rMous3 wrote:
    Just play ranked, you will be placed into whatever division you are approximately good enough to help your team mates/your current skill level, so don't worry about that. You will improve much faster playing ranked than normal games. Everyone is "ready" for ranked, if you suck you will be placed with other people who suck, which would be appropriate.
    lol

8. Post
    Do you have full Tier 3 rune pages yet? I know it took me a while still after I hit 30 to sort those out.

9. Post
    Thanks for the reply's guys!

I've got AP Nunu down for top lane, and I am currently learning Ezreal for adc. I think I will wait until I have a support hero down and then I'll go charging into ranked games.

As for runes, I currently have 2 full pages, 1 for Nunu and 1 for Ez, so I'll save all my IP from now until I can set up another rune page for support.

Edit: typo's >_>

10. Post
    Ooohhh... not to be a downer but just be careful with your Nunu top. Most people will think you're trolling and either spam you or keep dc'ing (so your wait times in the queue will be even longer).

Safer picks to learn for top (are subjective but) would be Darius, Cho'gath, Singed, Garen, Riven... bruiser type champs.

If you're that confident with Nunu and able to wade through the spammers, trollers and long queues, you'll get a ranked game.

11. Post
    Ahh good point. I feel pretty confident with him tho as I played him as AP from level 2-3 all the way up to level 30.

But if people keep dc'ing with me trying him as AP top I might have to switch it up a bit, which is rather disappointing since I've put so much time and effort into him.

12. Post
    I think most people have always thought of Nunu as an acceptable sometimes-top, but even more so now after Soaz's 1v1 duel with Wickd.

13. Post
    Its fine, being good at a champion is better than being awful at something that perfectly fits the 'meta' which doesn't apply to low level games anyway. You will want more champions in time for certain matchups etc. but to start with Nunu is fine.

14. Post
    Nunu is a great support too, so should be easy for you to learn him in a secondary role.

15. Post
    Nunu is great, can play him any lane (except adc).
    Seen pros play him in all those lanes in the past month alone.

16. Post
    I hate jungler nunu aye..

17. Post
    I will read & digest this thread, then come back to the GPOD League of Legends masses for group play when not sucking so much/less of a noob (don't want to drag no-one down etc)

Quick question, have only bought Ryze & Master Yi on the recommendation of a mate... are their any other 'must have' noob champs that you guys think are mandatory for learning the ropes? I think I am best focussing on 5 or so champs to start off with at most... my memory isn't what it used to be

18. Post
    Just try all the free week champions and find something you like then play them for a bit. Ryze is a good choice though.

19. Post
    Ashe is very cheap and good for learning AD Carry fundamentals. Nunu is cheap and a good jungler, although that may not be viable at very low levels. Kayle is also cheap and a very versatile champion.

20. Post
    The free champs are really useful to try out...It's where I found that I gel with Sona (although I still haven't bought her yet!), but then I also found some that I liked just by playing against them (e.g. liked the playstyle of J4, Leona).
    I think the biggest thing is to find out how YOU play the game, because taking champs that need to be played a certain way, if that's not your mentality, will just lead to failure. For example, I have to REALLY think about what I'm doing ALL the time when playing Teemo and Yi, because my natural mindset tends to be the initiator. I learnt this by discovering how often I died by jumping into fights too soon (i.e. "WTF is everyone doing standing around?! SOMEONE's gotta start this!!"). Having found this is my natural game, my go-to champs are J4 (top/jungle), Leona (support), and to a lesser extent Vlad in mid (although he's a little different). Working WITH your natural style will always work better than going against it. I tend to be a sacrificial player (if I give up my life/risk giving it to ensure out team gets several kills, I will), which suits certain champs. Heck, down bot if there's no minions I'll jump in front of my adc and take a blitz hook, it's better that I die than the ADC!

So yeah, play some freebies, find some that fit your playstyle, then get more. The half-price sales every few days are awesome too to pick up more expensive champs (if you don't mind buying RP).

21. Post
    Cool, thanks for the advice bros/(girls?) - appreciated.

Now, been having a black screen of death and a "cannot connect to server" message after champion selection in every game... makes me look like an AFK dweeb once I eventually reconnect to the game, holding everyone up.. probably getting reported as I have dropped out of 2 games since the client stopped working... my LoL carreer is in the s****er before it's begun..

Seems like it's a bit of a common occurance and firewall related... so approved League of Legends on my firewall concessions (Windows Firewall W but to no avail, still black screen/spinning cursor to server retry fault or total client failure and LoL closing in full on me.

So now am in the process of reinstalling to my SSD with the Oceanic client (as opposed to my HDD with the NA client in my first install).... that is the plan in full.
    Hoping this little bit of spicy install variation does the trick.. (hokey religions and ancient weapons method.. aka hope it fixes it by sheer wishful thinking alone, the force in other words).

Wish me luck

22. Post
    edit.

Nope didn't work.... still black screen/failed to connect - firewall message after champion selection every time.
    Either arrive late to the game (2 or so min into laning) after retry button, or if I cancel it makes me look like a game leaver.. and I see a ban hammer hitting me at some stage.

Awesome.

If anyone knows a workaround router wise let me know, I'm a bit stoops on port forwarding etc, heard that can help though.

23. Post
    Occasionally me or the wife get a black screen after champion select (like, when it's supposed to load). If the load screen doesn't pop in like 5 secs after going to black, we alt-tab, crash the client, and re-log. Gets us in while still at the champ load screen, and don't have issues after that, but maybe your problem is slightly different? Especially since you're every game, and we're an occasionally...

<Edit> Just found your thread on the forums with lots of helpful replies (none!).
    I'd recommend crashing the client and logging in again. When you crash it, and try to start it again it'll whinge that another instance is already open, do you want to kill it, you say yes, then log in. It'll say something along the lines of "oi, you've got a game in progress, want to reconnect to it?", say yep, and the load screen splashes up how it should. Every time we've done this, we've made it into that load screen, so everyone gets held up waiting for you (so the game doesn't start without you).

Hope this works for you, because I've got nothing else at this stage

<Edit 2>
    maybe this will help?
    Also, I've learnt of something that helps. I was having problems with black screen on going to store or every time after a game the client stayed black and I had to alt-tab and right click close the client. If you go into your properties into the security, make sure you're set to "compatible with window 7" I'd been fighting with this for nearly a month with my new system, now it works amazing , just like with my old system. Main problem was I'd noticed it said compatible with like windows xp, so make sure you set it to the most recent windows in that list, and tadah.
    from http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.co...d.php?t=915999

A couple of people seem to report that it works, so maybe compatibility mode will work? Right-click the LoL icon, properties, security tab I believe (don't have W8 so can't confirm).

24. Post
    Wattsbo wrote:
    Occasionally me or the wife get a black screen after champion select (like, when it's supposed to load). If the load screen doesn't pop in like 5 secs after going to black, we alt-tab, crash the client, and re-log. Gets us in while still at the champ load screen, and don't have issues after that, but maybe your problem is slightly different? Especially since you're every game, and we're an occasionally...

<Edit> Just found your thread on the forums with lots of helpful replies (none!).
    I'd recommend crashing the client and logging in again. When you crash it, and try to start it again it'll whinge that another instance is already open, do you want to kill it, you say yes, then log in. It'll say something along the lines of "oi, you've got a game in progress, want to reconnect to it?", say yep, and the load screen splashes up how it should. Every time we've done this, we've made it into that load screen, so everyone gets held up waiting for you (so the game doesn't start without you).

Hope this works for you, because I've got nothing else at this stage

<Edit 2>
    maybe this will help?

from http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.co...d.php?t=915999

A couple of people seem to report that it works, so maybe compatibility mode will work? Right-click the LoL icon, properties, security tab I believe (don't have W8 so can't confirm).
    Hey Wattsbo, thanks for the reply mate!

Gonna try out some combinations of compatibility mode, admin mode and other fiddles with logins to try and get this working proper.

I got in the other day for the first time without the champion screen glitch... then straight back to it next game (at least that's once eh!) lol. Also.. yeah, mint replies to my forum help topic... hahaha, man: the community seems a bit lackluster in support (except for GPOD help, way better ),

25. Post
    play safe and dont feed