Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

1. Post
    New to League of Legends? Ask any questions you might have in here!
    And if you aren't new, feel free to post tips for newer players, or any information regarding the game.

Helpful Resources
    Guides: www.solomid.net/guides.php , www.lolpro.com. Don't use mobafire! Just don't. On solomid, try to stick to Featured guides that have been updated recently.
    Item/Champion info: www.leagueoflegends.wikia.com Useful for looking up ability ratios and information. The 'strategy' pages for champs are not to be trusted.
    Competition info: www.leaguepedia.com Find out when the big comps are on, where they're streaming, and who's playing.
    Player info: www.lolking.net Look up other Summoners, or yourself, find out what champs they've been using/winning with, track champion win rates etc

Other sites:
    elobuff.com - similar to lolking.net, but includes more stat tracking. Costs $$ to use.
    championselect.net - look up 'counters' to champions. No substitute for actually knowing how to play a champion well.
    elophant.com - interesting site where you can plug in the name of the people on your team, and find out what roles they do best at. Unsure if it tracks non-ranked play.

2. Post
    RUNES

One of the more confusing parts of the game for newer players are Runes. Good news! You don't really have to worry about them. At least not at first.
    Runes are basically just extra stats you give your champion before the game starts. You unlock one rune slot per level, up to Level 30. You can buy Tier 1 runes (weakest) right away, Tier 2 runes from level 10, and Tier 3 runes (strongest) from level 20. A lot of players recommend not even bothering with runes until you hit level 20 and can get the Tier 3 ones.
    Tier 1 runes are pretty weak, but they are very cost efficient for the benefits they provide. If you really want runes, stick to buying these until you can get Tier 3 runes.
    Tier 2 runes: don't buy Tier 2 runes. They are too expensive for what they give you.
    Tier 3 runes: you can get by without them, but people have rune pages for a reason. The extra stats, although small, can give you a vital edge over your oponent, especially in the early laning stages.

What Runes should I get?
    Choosing what to get can be tough, since you only get two Rune pages to start off with. You can buy extra pages, which are really good if you want to further customise the champs you play. Some players will have multiple pages for the same champ, depending on who they will be laning against. However for most people, a runepage for AP-based champs and another for AD-based champs will be fine.
    Any champion can make use of Armor Seals and Magic Resist per level Glyphs. Ability Power or Attack Damage Marks are good choices depending on your champion type. As far as Quintessences go, it's up to you. Attack Damage, Ability Power, Movespeed are all good options. Gold/5 Quints can be very handy for support players who don't get a lot of gold income from minion kills (often referred to as '0 cs supports').

Almost all guides you can find online will include optimal runepages for specific champions. Check www.solomid.net/guides.php for a lot of examples. Try to stick to 'Featured' guides that have been updated recently.

Just as an example, here's the runepage I use when I play Kayle in the top lane:

Armor seals and Magic Resist/level glyphs are good general-purpose defensive runes considering I'll be laning solo.
    Attack Damage Quints fit my build, since I'll be building mostly AD-oriented items.
    Attack Speed Marks help when I'm harassing with my ranged attacks, and mow down creep waves when I'm pushing the lane or farming at my tower.

TIP: You can just buy Tier 1 runes up until level 30, then use the Rune combiner to trade them in, hopefully for a more valuable, higher Tier rune. If you combine 30 Tier 1 runes, you can get 6 Tier 2 runes, and you can combine 5 of those to make one Tier 3 rune. If you're lucky, you'll get a valuable Armor Penetration or Movespeed Quintessence worth a lot of IP, and you'll have actually saved a decent amount of IP by combining your old ones. Even if you don't get something valuable, you haven't spent that much IP, and you'll have had the benefit of the runes up until Level 30 anyway.

3. Post
    Cheers dude!

Soooo what's with these "seasons" is it like major updates each season or something?

4. Post
    So a 'season' is roughly a year's worth of play time. 'Season 2' started last November, and ended with the World Champs in October this year. It officially ended with the patch after that, in early November (Patches happen every 2-3 weeks, usually introducing new champions and buffs/nerfs to existing champions).

We are now in 'pre-season' for Season 3. Season 3 is supposed to start officialy in the new year, however any Elo changes for ranked players made now will carry over into the new year.

During this pre-season, Riot is pumping out a hell of a lot of changes to the game. The next patch will introduce a new support champion, Nami, as well as a re-designed in-game shop complete with tonnes of new items. The jungle is also getting a makeover, designed to make things more difficult than Season 2, where practically any champ could jungle if you tried. It's going to be pretty chaotic for the next 6 weeks or so.

5. Post
    how r i beat darias

May I ask when it is appropriate to buy Doran's items? Only in the first 15 or so minutes?

6. Post
    Generally, yes. For example AD carries will often buy a couple of Doran's blades and a Vamp Sceptre on their first trip back, as they won't have enough for a BF Sword yet, and the combination of Attack Damage, HP and Lifesteal are very cost-efficient at that stage of the game. For the same reason AP mids will often buy a couple of Doran's rings on their first trip back.
    Doran's shields are more of a niche pick, usually picked by top laners who are expecting to eat a lot of harass early, like Shen vs a ranged champ. Double-doran's shield Vlad is/was common in some Korean teams.
    Stacking Doran's items (usually not more than three) can be a way to cope when you're losing your lane, as it gives you that bit more HP as well as the other stats you need. You need to weigh this up against how much it will delay your bigger items though, keeping in mind that you're always losing out by buying items you know you have to sell later on.

As for Darius, play Teemo, Kayle, or any champ who can harass him from a safe distance, and get your jungler to gank him when he's pushed up, as he has no escapes.

7. Post
    MASTERIES

Stay tuned. Masteries are changing for Season 3 so I'll wait till then for a proper breakdown.

For now, just know that Masteries are what give your champ the ability to spec into different roles. The Offense tree can enable Assassin champs to deal that little bit extra damage to take out a low-health target. Some of the lower-level Defense masteries can give a champ the survivability it needs to clear the jungle. The Utility tree can give support champs extra gold and mana regeneration to keep them going without the items the carries buy. Obviously there's a lot more to it, but since they're changing everything up in a few weeks I'll leave it here for now.

8. Post
    If you use a site like championselect.net and don't read the comments to find out exactly why champion x is good against champion y then you are doing it wrong.

9. Post
    Alright. I don't usually buy the Vampiric Scepter, is it generally just for the late BT or do some people build Wriggles? I've noticed double Doran's Rings gives a surprising big boost in early game burst, plus you find yourself out of mana a lot less.

I can see this being a really awesome page. Thanks victorious

The Darius thing was a joke, I can generally futtbuck him with Lux, providing he is isn't fed to shit. I've never used that ChampionSelect site, I used MobaFire build guides for a while to start with, but it just feels like cheating and that I'd benefit more by learning from my own experience.

10. Post
    As an AD Carry, I find the early Vamp Scetre essential. That lifesteal can save your life man. But yeah it usually gets saved for the later BT, or sometimes Executioner's Calling if I don't think I can keep the stacks. Wriggles is rare on an AD carry as it'll delay the Infinity Edge/Phantom Dancer that is usually the core of your build. It is very common on junglers, and sometimes seen on top laners though. I have seen AD carries in low-level games build Madred's Razors early on however, as it will help you tear through Dragon. Not common though, the guy I saw do it was clearly smurfing, and basically playing with the mindset of not having to rely on anyone else on his team.

This will almost definitely change in S3, as Vamp Sceptre is basically doubling in cost, and will build out of long sword.

Just as a DISCLAIMER for any advice I give (and others are more than welcome to chime in in this thread), I am not a high level player, and frequently play terribly. I've just been playing for a while (two years), and spend a fair bit of time reading about the game, here, on reddit and on other forums. I enjoy playing all roles in the game, and like to think I have a bit of experience and knowledge with it.

The thing with Darius is, even if he gets dominated early on, the nature of his ult means he will always be a threat in late-game teamfights and possibly be able to claw his way back, it's just the way it is.

11. Post
    JoshHunter wrote:
    Alright. I don't usually buy the Vampiric Scepter, is it generally just for the late BT or do some people build Wriggles? I've noticed double Doran's Rings gives a surprising big boost in early game burst, plus you find yourself out of mana a lot less.

I can see this being a really awesome page. Thanks victorious

The Darius thing was a joke, I can generally futtbuck him with Lux, providing he is isn't fed to shit. I've never used that ChampionSelect site, I used MobaFire build guides for a while to start with, but it just feels like cheating and that I'd benefit more by learning from my own experience.
    In my experience I've found Lux to be a superb counter for Darius, he just can't get close enough to deal any serious damage (unless you get ganked) and you can generally farm quite easily as well as harrassing him lots at the same time.

With that said, I'd imagine if your teammates weren't people you knew they'd throw a fit if you picked Lux just to take on Darius simply because people aren't used to seeing it happen. But if you get the chance, try it and you'll see for yourself

12. Post
    You would lose a top bruiser for another AP with no sustain, wouldnt be a good team comp imo.

13. Post
    Not all top bruisers can successfully repel Darius but that also stands for other top bruisers like Irelia/Renek/Garen. They are difficult to beat if you don't know what you're doing. I agree it wouldn't be a very good team comp, especially in a ranked situation, but in a normal you could get away with it.

As I mentioned above, if you weren't playing with a group of friends you'll cop a bit of mouth from your teammates should you try it & it may not work.

Then again everyone is so used to playing Top lane bruiser, Jungler, Mid AP, Adc & support bot, that no one wants to try anything different.

14. Post
    Stridey wrote:
    In my experience I've found Lux to be a superb counter for Darius, he just can't get close enough to deal any serious damage (unless you get ganked) and you can generally farm quite easily as well as harrassing him lots at the same time.

With that said, I'd imagine if your teammates weren't people you knew they'd throw a fit if you picked Lux just to take on Darius simply because people aren't used to seeing it happen. But if you get the chance, try it and you'll see for yourself
    Yeah then your team will be missing a bruiser and your frontline will be pretty lacking. It can work I suppose, it just makes it harder to win since it isnt meta (easiest way to win right?).

Could just go with Jayce (hammer form e if he gets close or pulls you in), Kayle or Elise? Probably a few more counters that i can't think of.

15. Post
    yeh soz I meant for ranked. anything goes in normals

16. Post
    ^ That's why the normal mode is there. I know the Meta is there for a reason, and it's easy to see why it works so well. But you can't find weakness or faults in your own gameplay without experimenting and seeing what works for you personally. Oh, you can't forget about having fun right?

waxdec wrote:
    Yeah then your team will be missing a bruiser and your frontline will be pretty lacking. It can work I suppose, it just makes it harder to win since it isnt meta (easiest way to win right?).

Could just go with Jayce (hammer form e if he gets close or pulls you in), Kayle or Elise? Probably a few more counters that i can't think of.
    That may be true in most cases, but a strong jungler could compensate for that lost bruiser at top, or your top bruiser might be happy to switch with you mid in the beginning to take mid lane while you attempt to counter & outplay Darius top. All it really requires a bit of communication & confidence, and should you find that you're struggling it's not that difficult to switch it up again.

Your frontline might be lacking if you didn't have a bruiser (ie. with lux top taking on a darius and another AP mid doin his thang) in the later stages of play. And if it happened to be a ranked game you would probably struggle with a team comp like that, it won't be Impossible to win, but it will be hard. Probably more rewarding should you actually win like that.

But I do understand what you're saying

17. Post
    waxdec wrote:

If you've practiced Teemo vs. Darius then he would be a great counter, if not Yorick and Vlad are two very easy to play top lane picks that absolutely dominate Darius.

Yorick is an amazing investment for ranked games as he counters a hell of a lot of champions and players at low ELO probably don't know how to deal with him, be wary of what guides for him say about who he counters though... after his minion's movement speed was nerfed he became pretty useless against Jayce and Singed who he previously countered, unless they haven't learned how to play against him.

18. Post
    Conebeast wrote:
    If you've practiced Teemo vs. Darius then he would be a great counter, if not Yorick and Vlad are two very easy to play top lane picks that absolutely dominate Darius.

Yorick is an amazing investment for ranked games as he counters a hell of a lot of champions and players at low ELO probably don't know how to deal with him, be wary of what guides for him say about who he counters though... after his minion's movement speed was nerfed he became pretty useless against Jayce and Singed who he previously countered, unless they haven't learned how to play against him.
    Yup i agree, Teemo would have a pretty easy time against Darius until he gets pulled past lvl 6. Guess it would come down to individual skill at that point.

Also agree with you about the Yorick bit, i remember being under 1200's trying to lane against him and just thinking wow... wtf is this bullshit champion are you for real? Pretty sure he'd counter him in higher elo games too seeing as it kinda renders Darius' ult kinda useless.
    Just save Yorick ult for ADC/APC and it doesn't matter if he dunks them.

19. Post
    Heh I wasn't meaning I'd ever use Lux as a Top lane counter for Darius, I was meaning just bursting him down in a team fight with Q > E > R > Lich Bane passive auto-attack. Counter-picking Darius with Lux would be silly, you'd be costing your team HP pool a large amount.

+1 to anyone saying Yorick is tough, he's fun as shit.

20. Post
    People have been giving me "Honours" does riot reward these?

21. Post
    Yip, you get silly little banner things lol.

22. Post
    I want heros, on the other hand I just unlocked the Juggernaut Dota equivalent

23. Post
    JoshHunter wrote:
    ... I used MobaFire build guides for a while to start with, but it just feels like cheating and that I'd benefit more by learning from my own experience.
    Everyone one will have their preferences and I know you may be used to Mobafire guides but when this site came up here on GP (in the mega thread) I said goodbye to all the other sites.

You're welcome.

24. Post
    Conebeast wrote:

This is quite bad misinformation as Singed and Vlad are not good against Darius at all, 1 pull =dead. Champions that can both kite and escape such as Elise, Jayce, Teemo and Kennen are best because they can escape after being pulled.

25. Post
    Gerter wrote:
    People have been giving me "Honours" does riot reward these?
    Be sure to give them out as well