GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 15584

1. Post
    Came here to post the nvidia engineer interview.... almost hit my head on the desk laughing so hard.

2. Post
    its a big deal to me, yes yes all the technical data say its only X % and blah blah you only hit 4gb when you go all the way etc but that is simply bull shit dodging from NVIDIA.

i suppose i should email C Lounge and see if they can get me a refund and i will pay the difference for a 980 as by the time the 390s come out it will be far too late
    Last edited by Bloody; 1st February 2015 at 4:58 pm.

3. Post
    ^Ahaha you got a special mention in that spoof.

4. Post
    i know right? i feel so ****ing stupid but time is not on my side

5. Post
    Dear retailers, wtb cheap open boxed 970's

6. Post
    Amd vp posted up his email on twitter to help sort out 970 refunds for 290s

7. Post
    Lol man, amd riding this quite hard

8. Post
    100Club wrote:
    Amd vp posted up his email on twitter to help sort out 970 refunds for 290s
    rofl. Such an over-reaction going on here, been testing my games at 1440p and have barely reached 3gb vram usage. Mostly much less.

I just swapped my 290 for a FTW 970/ROG Swift... man that 290 runs hot even with windforce cooling.

9. Post
    <N> wrote:
    rofl. Such an over-reaction going on here, been testing my games at 1440p and have barely reached 3gb vram usage. Mostly much less.

I just swapped my 290 for a FTW 970/ROG Swift... man that 290 runs hot even with windforce cooling.
    Its an over reaction because nvidia dont usually stuff up i guess

the 970 is still a beast card

10. Post
    I think I reached my VRAM specially in Shadow of Mordor - 150% DSR + Ultra - my frames drops below 10 when I use the elf power after say 15mins of Gameplay.. As time goes on this becomes prominent on each drain I do.. -Single Card

In SLi things are little better(due to the processing power) but laggy again during the drains(2nd Cards memory is useless in SLI's)

11. Post
    It's a golden opportunity for amd to take some market share from nvidia, people in green camp are pissed at being lied to, red camp are opening the welcoming gates and hanging some bait just before the entrance.

12. Post
    thunder.dragon wrote:
    I think I reached my VRAM specially in Shadow of Mordor - 150% DSR + Ultra - my frames drops below 10 when I use the elf power after say 15mins of Gameplay.. As time goes on this becomes prominent on each drain I do.. -Single Card

In SLi things are little better(due to the processing power) but laggy again during the drains(2nd Cards memory is useless in SLI's)
    You would lag that much anyway whether the 970 bug existed or not.

Nvidia have released a statement about the GTX 970 problems and with it a comparison with the GTX 980 with over 3.5gb VRAM used. The performance difference for the respective cards when the graphics settings are increased is 1-3% in favour of the 980. But you'd expect that anyway, right?

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-C...B-Memory-Issue

Nvidia was wrong to market the 970 as a fully functional "4GB VRAM" card but the issues are nowhere near as big as everyone is making out.

EDIT: I'm not an Nvidia fanboy either, my last four cards have been Ati.

Attached Images

13. Post
    I guess people have just ran the Shadow of Mordor Benchmark - which is smooth in 200%DSR as well. My setting is 1440p(+150%DSR)

What I am telling is in the scenario where you start draining in Elf mode - That part is known as memory hog as the entire textures changes, physics changes on top of the transition. The blur effects, particle effects every things are actually overlapping things. So the memory requirement is there as you have save both textures on same pool. Just imagine you need to put one thing on top of other as you have just some millisecs to deal with huge amount of textures.

I am not telling this issue is only on GTX970 maybe there on GTX980(4GB) but pretty sure that scenario will be far better stable in GTX980. Hope someone with GTX980 can help me verify this. I can understand 25% less performance on that but just < frames is quite less. But this bug IMO is to blame

14. Post
    ^ You don't make a lot of sense, but from what you've said I get this:

"I am not telling this issue is only on GTX970" <- You're not saying it's just the GTX 970
    "But this bug IMO is to blame" <- you're saying it's the bug that's ONLY on the GTX 970 that's to blame, effectively saying it's the GTX 970 that's to blame.

15. Post
    Well mate.. Sorry for that. If I had GTX980 I could test(prove) this - but I think the GTX980 wont drop the frames to <5 in this scenario.

In GTX970 the frame drops below <5 frames - why is that so? This issue(drop frames) IMO is for this bug which I believe.

Read fully - I am not telling this issue(huge frame drops) is only on GTX970 maybe there on GTX980(less frame drop not huge as it happens in 970) but pretty sure that scenario will be far better stable in GTX980(i.e. less frame drops).

hehe

16. Post
    Umm it's a massive quantity of vram. I don' t think you're going to overload it by having something with 2 textures (gasp). PS3 had 256mb vram. Most nVidia users have had 2gb until recently. And all of a sudden people say you can't texture a single object properly without 4gb.

17. Post
    lumpy custard wrote:
    Umm it's a massive quantity of vram. I don' t think you're going to overload it by having something with 2 textures (gasp). PS3 had 256mb vram. Most nVidia users have had 2gb until recently. And all of a sudden people say you can't texture a single object properly without 4gb.
    You're forgetting people are looking to game in 4k now, not just 1080p/1440p.

Play modded Skyrim at 4k and you're going to use close to 4GB VRAM.

18. Post
    thunder.dragon wrote:
    stuff
    Of course the 980 isn't going to drop as low as the 970. You're comparing a $1k card to a $600 one.

19. Post
    Well I guess u missed my setting of 150% DSR - 2160p rendered px value = 4k(which is)..actually bit more px
    Now 980-970 performance =24%..default so in my example(issue) 60fps to 2-4fps is something fishly until you have some issues on your 970.

Hope I made my point clear for you to get and don't evaluate against price..GTX titan is $4000..does it performs 400% of GTX 780? No...right mate?
    Last edited by thunder.dragon; 2nd February 2015 at 1:38 pm.

20. Post
    thunder.dragon wrote:
    GTX titan is $4000
    What?

You haven't really made any point clear :/ I appreciate English probably isn't your first language so I'll say no more about it.

I just don't think you get that the GTX 980, being Nvidia's flagship, is going to outperform the GTX 970, a card that costs $400 less, and that is the explanation for the discrepancies you're seeing, not the issue with the 970's VRAM. I'm not evaluating them on the price difference alone, I'm completely aware of their respective capabilities.

21. Post
    Never mind mate - don't think you are anywhere getting near to what I meant - I agree my English might be weak for you, I was not willing to write a formal post either. And yes my native is surely not English but I think I am better than your comment.

No worries though..I tried to share the issue I faced with my GTX970/s and my opinion on filling the 4GB of VRAM. I still believe the issue I'm facing is due to the VRAM getting filled and once filled I hit performance drop via very low fps. Nvidia is to blame for this in Mordor.

Lastly to you mate - again don't think more price is proportionate to more performance if you know the background.
    FYI - I have 3 GTX970s and in 1x / 2x / 3x config the issue is the same just varies on the load(delay) it happens during gameplay. (So I am actually 3 x $600 = $1800 config > $1000(GTX980) Card. Why still I am facing this? )

22. Post
    You have more dollars than sense.

You say you wouldn't experience the same FPS problems with a GTX 980? Wrong, you would. Shadows of Mordor is poorly optimized. You're blaming hardware when it's a game with unrealistic VRAM requirements that is causing the problems. It eats up 4GB of VRAM @ 1080p easy.

If you want the latest texture pack, 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

http://www.gamersbook.com/News/Artic...-Of-VRAM-on-PC
    http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-ma...ings-31584215/

/end

23. Post
    Boom rekt by cbud

24. Post
    HeHe!! Well..3 970s are just small part of my other requirements. What I tried multiple times is to explain you and not stick on saying GTX980 won't experience the same. It might face but not the way 970 is having where the frames rate drops from 60/80 to <5 frames.

Those links are old man.. 4 months old.

Anyways leave all - peace!! Cheers

25. Post
    wow Im actually embarrassed to be an nvidia fan right now.... :facepalm: https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-refund-for-gtx-970 people think that nvidia would actually do this.