GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 15,026 to 15,050 of 15584

1. Post
    So Amd on the cpu front has in 3 years got within 10% range of what took Intel almost 10yrs. (only advantage Intel has now is single threaded performance in gaming and very very few workloads)
    If Amd can figure out how to boost clocks speeds where they too can overclock to 5.0ghz then vs Intel 10nm/7nm jump they'd still be on par it would seem.
    Would be intersting to see if the chips used in epyc were used in a consumer chip instead would it clock higher.

Zen 2+ /Zen 3 is gonna be very interesting for sure

2. Post
    Debu8er (don’t think I spelt that correctly) has done s nice piece on clock speed, overclocks and Delids.

Unfortunately it’s not great but as I mentioned early these chips have stunning stock performance that should be excellent for most people.

For those who care, the take aways are.

* Dont bother doing a delid it’s not needed, temps only drops by about 4c
    * The 3800x, 3900x and 99% likely the 3950x cannot hit the AMD advertised clock speeds.
    - furthering this finding. It doesn’t matter what conventional cooler you use - even using a custom water loop these chips basically don’t run at the advertised boost clocks. It’s not clear why AMD provided these numbers, it appears to be marketing BS - for example the 3900x doesn’t get consistently close to its 4.6ghz boost even on a giant custom loop.
    * overclocking in general isn’t worth it - with most chips averaging 4.2 to 4.4ghz speeds even on a custom loop.

The only way to reach and exceed the advertised boost clocks is by pushing high voltages and cooling with LN2

He achieved a max clock of 4.8ghz on the 3600 (easiest chip to work with) using LN2

Edit: added the video

https://out.reddit.com/t3_ca68kt?url...ame=reddit.com
    Last edited by SirGrim; 8th July 2019 at 8:43 am.

3. Post
    Since you've clearly read up on these chips compared to me, what would you suggest, a 3600 or a 3600x?

4. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    Since you've clearly read up on these chips compared to me, what would you suggest, a 3600 or a 3600x?

wait for more benches, haven't seen one with 3600x vs 3600
    I'd say by end of week we should have a better idea where these chips land

5. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    So far it seems there is little reason to get the 3600x. But yeah I'd wait for more benches.

6. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I believe Tech Jesus said the 3600 will OC to the level of the 3600x, just like the 2600 did to the X model before it. So you can save few bucks there, if you are that way inclined.

7. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    As per above I’d wait for head to head stuff.

However based on what I’ve seen so far today I suspect the buying guide rule of thumb will: Buy the cheapest chip for the number of cores you want. So for example, if you want an 8 core, get the cheapest 8 core and enable PBO in the bios and it should roughly perform like the most expensive 8 core. If you want a 6 core, buy the cheapest 6 core and enable PBO in the bios and it will roughly perform like the most expensive 8 core

8. Post
    I'll be editing images in lightroom, exporting large batches, photoshop, adobe premiere here and there along with gaming. Not too sure which chip to get other than the 3600, or maybe something from the previous series?

9. Post
    Hardware Unboxed did some preliminary testing of 3600mhz C19 vs 3200mhz C14 ... no difference.

10. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Hardware Unboxed did some preliminary testing of 3600mhz C19 vs 3200mhz C14 ... no difference.
    Makes sense since bandwidth and latency should be similiar

https://out.reddit.com/t3_cabtai?url...ame=reddit.com

11. Post
    I thought they boost to 4.6 GHz? (3900x)

12. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    I thought they boost to 4.6 GHz? (3900x)
    That appears to either be a flat out lie or is only achievable on a super golden chip that you have a small chance of getting because no reviewers have any from the 5 I’ve watched so far

Deba8er theorised that with ryzen 2000 AMd used the average boost they saw across 100s of chips it tested to find the advertised max boost

But for Ryzen 3000 he thinks they did the same test then used the absolute best chip tested and used its max boost clocks to advertise

13. Post
    Playtech is the cheapest I can find it so far:
    https://www.playtech.co.nz/amd-ryzen...th-cooler.html

Anywhere else?

14. Post
    Picked up a 3700x, YOLO

Was going to go for a 3900x but cooling it in SFF is a massive pain

15. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    Playtech is the cheapest I can find it so far:
    https://www.playtech.co.nz/amd-ryzen...th-cooler.html

Anywhere else?
    pbtech has one for a little cheaper

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CPU...-to-42-GHz-Max

16. Post
    what.. i just searched their website and no results appeared, must have just come online?

Guess I'll get it from there.
    Last edited by Pxndx; 8th July 2019 at 9:57 am.

17. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I'll be editing images in lightroom, exporting large batches, photoshop, adobe premiere here and there along with gaming. Not too sure which chip to get other than the 3600, or maybe something from the previous series?
    If gaming is just the secondary use case you could also pick up a 2700x and take advantage of the extra cores in those programs.

18. Post
    What's the consensus of an build dropping $100-200 by Xmas.
    Isint the 3700x suppose to replace the 2700x price point

Edit: seems some teething issues with pcie 4 and nvidia cards
    A specific Bios update let's partially fixes some
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment..._being_gimped/
    Last edited by huntakillaz; 8th July 2019 at 11:45 am.

19. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    What's the consensus of an build dropping $100-200 by Xmas.
    Isint the 3700x suppose to replace the 2700x price point

Edit: seems some teething issues with pcie 4 and nvidia cards
    A specific Bios update let's partially fixes some
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment..._being_gimped/
    No on the price point, there was about a $50 increase. $100 by xmas? maybe between mobo, ram and CPU and if you get them onsale. Maybe you'd be best to find

20. Post
    good good, i will grab a 3700x probably in Xmas. Maybe if the price of the 3950 push the 3900x down abit i might grab that instead.

Bit sad they still do not have a 5 k ghz chip tho AMD .

21. Post
    Bloody wrote:

Bit sad they still do not have a 5 k ghz chip tho AMD .
    Funny how fixated we all are on the 5k number (myself included) does your CPU automatically give you BJ's when it hits this magical number? If it does, shit I'll fry a few chips trying to get there!

22. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Funny how fixated we all are on the 5k number (myself included) does your CPU automatically give you BJ's when it hits this magical number? If it does, shit I'll fry a few chips trying to get there!
    BJs, Hot Massages and even cook dinner for me. Yes yes yes.

23. Post
    BIOS issue would explain the boost issues. I just can't believe AMD would lie about the performance the average chip would get. This isn't because I think they are all truthful. But moreso that it would one huge embarrassment.

24. Post
    PB has the 2600x on sale tonight for $259.

I have to say I think I'll go this way until next year and get a 3000 series, that value is too hard to pass up, and I'll be the CPU will be worth over $200 next year when I sell it! Then by the time I get my 3000 series chip the bios issues will be gone!

25. Post
    A lot of assumptions prior to launch that the 3600X and 3800X were rubbish... seems to be lining up with the truth.