GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 15,226 to 15,250 of 15650

  1. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I thought people were saying mining has moved away from video cards?
    Established currencies have, New currencies are better to mine off gpu until it seems worthwhile to go specialised hardware

  2. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    Any news on a new Threadripper lineup? 48-60 core 3990wx?
    64c/128t EPYC

    https://ranker.sisoftware.co.uk/show...187f4c9f9&l=en

  3. Post
    Does anyone know if any stores are selling B450 boards already updated with the BIOS for the new ryzen chips?

  4. Post
    aaaaaaaaaa wrote:
    Does anyone know if any stores are selling B450 boards already updated with the BIOS for the new ryzen chips?
    Doubt it, but they will probably do it for you - or get one with flashback.

  5. Post
    I asked CL if I bought a Ryzen CPU and motherboard, they directed me to their $49 BIOS update service

    Understandable as they'd have to unbox/set it up to do it, but to some degree I feel like the expectation of hardware being up-to-date when purchased isn't unreasonable from a consumer perspective.

  6. Post
    Oh damn thats pretty steep, Probably easiest to buy a cheap CPU then sell it on to someone else that needs to do it when I'm done

  7. Post
    Is there going to be a B550 board? If you are buying the whole MB/CPU combo doesn't it make more sense to wait?

  8. Post
    Yeah sounds like there is B550.


    Next year.


    Just wait for the updated B450 boards, won't take that long to get sorted. MSI boards will have "max" on the end of the models. So if you see them for sale, you should be good to go.

    DW wrote:
    Understandable as they'd have to unbox/set it up to do it, but to some degree I feel like the expectation of hardware being up-to-date when purchased isn't unreasonable from a consumer perspective.
    Alternative is what Intel will have done, which is force all people wanting current gen, onto current gen (expensive) boards. I know which option i'd rather.

    At least you have the option to get a cheaper board. Just have to wait for the process to be ironed out. Motherboard manufacturers have probably never been forced to support so many different chips before. Wait for the B450 boards with new chips if you don't want to flash BIOS. Or as mentioned, grab a board that lets you flash BIOS without a CPU. Options are out there.

  9. Post
    What do you miss out on from B550 vs B450?

  10. Post
    Got the MSI mortar B450, Think I'll go Ryzen 3600 as I can't really justify the $223 extra for the 3700x for what I do (much as I like the idea), just waiting on the ram and NVME now

  11. Post
    brand wrote:
    What do you miss out on from B550 vs B450?
    No details at all yet. I imagine you get PCIE 4.0. Just speculating though. Performance wise you'll not get anything.

  12. Post
    How many other guys on this forum just play games ?
    That is all I do , so what should I get , I tend to buy high end but donít know how much of it I even use. Anyone else like this out there


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. Post
    VOID_NZ wrote:
    How many other guys on this forum just play games ?
    That is all I do , so what should I get , I tend to buy high end but don’t know how much of it I even use. Anyone else like this out there


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pretty much. Game, stream, surf. I usually buy pretty high end too, because why not? I'm not that worried about value or justifying my purchases

  14. Post
    I only play games, and only play them in 1080p

  15. Post
    I ended up getting a 3700X and X570 board. Mainly use it for gaming and surfing the web, I could've been fine going for a 3600X and probably wouldn't have noticed the difference, but for the sake of $150 I decided to go for the 3700X for future proofing.

  16. Post
    The 3600x looks to be a waste of money compared to the 3600, you're getting a 3% performance increase which you could just overclock the 3600 to have.

  17. Post
    Same deal with all the other generations. I guess the 1600X/2600X/3600X chips are aimed at people that want best performance out of the box, without fiddling. Was the same conclusion when Zen was first released, both overclocked to the same frequency on average. So the 1600 was the best bang for buck. Then the 2600 was, now I imagine the 3600 is. Great for gamers.

  18. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    The 3600x looks to be a waste of money compared to the 3600, you're getting a 3% performance increase which you could just overclock the 3600 to have.
    The buyer's rule of thumb still applies - buy the cheapest ryzen 3000 chip for the number of cores you want.

    The 3800x may break that rule, but so far it's a solid rule of thumb for the rest of the line-up.

    Given the 3800x is packing more TDP, it *might* in theory have higher clocks than the 3700x is capable of, but if it's only like 3% or something again, then it won't be worth it. I have my doubts, these chips all have very similar clocks regardless of price and model.

    PBO is also not aggressive enough towards temps. That is AMD's choice to push as much performance as it can out of the box, as a result you have a 3900x going to nearly 90c under heavy load with the stock cooler and the 16 core is still to come. Even then, as per yesterday's live demonstration - tech Jesus showed that us, even if you can reduce that temp down to 45c with a $1k usd water loop - it only adds 150mhz to the clocks and is simply not worth it, as demonstrated by the very small improvement in Cinebench scores.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 15th July 2019 at 10:24 pm.

  19. Post
    DW wrote:
    I asked CL if I bought a Ryzen CPU and motherboard, they directed me to their $49 BIOS update service

    Understandable as they'd have to unbox/set it up to do it, but to some degree I feel like the expectation of hardware being up-to-date when purchased isn't unreasonable from a consumer perspective.
    They would also be taking the risk of bricking the motherboard.

  20. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    No details at all yet. I imagine you get PCIE 4.0. Just speculating though. Performance wise you'll not get anything.
    Apparently B550 will be PCIE 3.0 ... so probably same shit, different name tbh. To be confirmed though.

    dickytim wrote:
    They would also be taking the risk of bricking the motherboard.
    That's not really a risk. You can reflash a failed flash.

  21. Post
    I've ordered a MSI B450M Mortar and Ryzen 3600, fingers crossed the flashing goes through fine without the CPU.

  22. Post
    DW wrote:
    I've ordered a MSI B450M Mortar and Ryzen 3600, fingers crossed the flashing goes through fine without the CPU.
    I have a Mortar, mine flashed flawlessly.

  23. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Apparently B550 will be PCIE 3.0 ... so probably same shit, different name tbh. To be confirmed though.



    That's not really a risk. You can reflash a failed flash.
    Ok, I had read where the flash had gone wrong on some boards and it bricked them, I have been dubious about flashing my bios, unless I needed to, but it sounds like I should be safe.

    Does anyone have an X370 board using PBO? I can't find a lot of information on it except some people have said some bios support it (AsRock 4.70 for X370 Taichi)

  24. Post
    AMD is sending out free boot kits for older motherboard owners who has issues doing bios updates

    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...00-owners.html

    You can request your boot kit here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/wa...ation/rma-form

  25. Post
    3800x reviews popping up

    tl:dr - buy the 3700x instead


    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...w,6226-11.html