Results 15,626 to 15,650 of 15704

1. Post
    Base clock is lower on the 3950x to keep it inside the tdp for am4 iirc

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

2. Post
    dr.m0x wrote:
    Base clock is lower on the 3950x to keep it inside the tdp for am4 iirc

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    There is still tons of testing to come from reviewers when it launches. There may still be ways to improve it's gaming performance against the 3900x. Something I'd really like to see is what happens when you turn off multi threading so it only uses 16 cores/16 threads and then overclock it.

3. Post
    Yeah running no SMT would be the go if gaming. Even then, games don't use near enough cores for there to be many gains. Whichever chip has the higher clocks will win after a certain core count. I think it's the extra cache that makes the difference as you move up the core stack.

12 cores is silly for gaming till we have something twice as good as the 2080Ti, so 16 cores is laughable really. Good bragging rights though, to game with CPU usage at 20%. I think another year or so of game development until my 6 core chip will start to feel the pinch. On paper anyway, assuming coupled with a 2080Ti, anything less than that and GPU will still be the bottleneck.

4. Post
    GPU of the year has arrived, I know Eva would buy 10 in a heartbeat.

This special Waifu edition 5700xt is only sold in China (I don't know if I should feel sad or relieved)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2dzuak8f58x31.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	227670

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    GPU of the year has arrived, I know Eva would buy 10 in a heartbeat.

This special Waifu edition 5700xt is only sold in China (I don't know if I should feel sad or relieved)

Name:	2dzuak8f58x31.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	227670
    Thank god it doesn't have half-naked anime characters on it like the old cards used to, so cringe worthy. At least thbis ones just using a unique colour scheme, id like to see more makers mix up their patterns.

6. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    Thank god it doesn't have half-naked anime characters on it like the old cards used to, so cringe worthy. At least thbis ones just using a unique colour scheme, id like to see more makers mix up their patterns.
    Like the PC equivalent of Itasha almost?

7. Post
    In case someone gets the urge to buy it
    https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?sp...ne=taobao_shop

8. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    Thank god it doesn't have half-naked anime characters on it like the old cards used to, so cringe worthy.
    You spoke too soon... look at the backplate and box lmao!

Name:	O1CN01KYkhlt1EWv9cPnZdw_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	227673

Name:	O1CN01pnIYDV2L65R7YTzGy_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	227674

9. Post
    Th3WhiteKnight wrote:
    Like the PC equivalent of Itasha almost?
    I have no idea what this means

SirGrim wrote:
    You spoke too soon... look at the backplate and box lmao!

Name:	O1CN01KYkhlt1EWv9cPnZdw_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	227673

Name:	O1CN01pnIYDV2L65R7YTzGy_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	227674
    Oh dear Lord I did.

10. Post
    *gets excited about new gen*

*realizes he still does not have anything worth upgrading for until next year*

eh maybe 4th gen Ryzen?

11. Post
    3950x reviews trickling out.

She's a warm beast. It averages around 4.3ghz for Gamers Nexus on their tests only hitting 4.7ghz for a couple seconds. They did manage to get it to all core 4.4ghz which boosts performance in tests at the sacrifice of an extra 100w of heat. At 4.4ghz a 360mm AIO was not enough with the temperature nearly at 100c. With stock settings though a AIO is fine but overclocking really needs a custom loop. Gaming performance is as expected, the 3900x is better for it while the 3950x is better for workloads.

https://youtube.com/M3sNUFjV7p4
    Last edited by SirGrim; 15th November 2019 at 4:20 am.

12. Post
    Why would you realistically need to overclock it?

Stock it uses the same power as a 9900k in Blender. While providing twice the core count and near enough twice the performance. Runs lower voltage than 3900x so clearly silicon is better. What a beast!

Overall it looks to game better than the 3900X. Especially if you're not gaming at 1080P, which no one with a 3950X would, ever. Many games are just very poorly optimised, so there is only so much brute force can do in those games. The newer the game the better the AMD chips peform, which to me says game developers are taking AMD seriously and actually optimising for them, finally.

https://youtu.be/wmqT2-2seT0
    Last edited by Fragluton; 15th November 2019 at 10:05 am.

13. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Why would you realistically need to overclock it?
    Why would you realistically need a desktop 16 core CPU?

If you need to ask you aren't YOLO enough.

14. Post

What a beast. My sister does 4K video editing on an i7. This thing would be bloody awesome for her. Looks like it uses less power than the 3900X ? - very WTF.

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Why would you realistically need a desktop 16 core CPU?

If you need to ask you aren't YOLO enough.
    Anyone that does video rendering will enjoy big core counts. Gamers don't need 16 cores, but that isn't what the 3950X is aimed at. Currently have a mate asking me 3900x or 3950x for his work / gaming system. Hard call. That said, he currently runs a 7700k, so both choices are a win.

16. Post
    The only thing that bugs me, is that even the silicon the 3950X gets, could be better. Someone needs to kill the server market so all the best silicon hits the desktop chips for us.

17. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Anyone that does video rendering will enjoy big core counts. Gamers don't need 16 cores, but that isn't what the 3950X is aimed at. Currently have a mate asking me 3900x or 3950x for his work / gaming system. Hard call. That said, he currently runs a 7700k, so both choices are a win.
    Well an all core overclock seems to grant 10% extra performance in work tasks. So if you need an extra 4 cores from 12 to 16 that bad, another 10% from overclocking is not far fetched.

Your friend is using a quad core for work? that's unfortunate

nzbleach wrote:

What a beast. My sister does 4K video editing on an i7. This thing would be bloody awesome for her. Looks like it uses less power than the 3900X ? - very WTF.
    There is a bit of variance in the reviews. Some reviewers are getting low temps and showing lower power draw than the 3900x, others are getting the reverse. Either there is a wide variance in quality between the chips or once again there are motherboard BIOS problems afoot.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 15th November 2019 at 10:24 am.

18. Post
    7700k still has the edge in older games. i'm tempted to hold onto mine till Ryzen 4

19. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    7700k still has the edge in older games. i'm tempted to hold onto mine till Ryzen 4
    Still a great chip. It has great resale value so now might be the time to sell it though.

20. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Well an all core overclock seems to grant 10% extra performance in work tasks. So if you need an extra 4 cores from 12 to 16 that bad, another 10% from overclocking is not far fetched.

Your friend is using a quad core for work? that's unfortunate
    I never said he needed the extra 4 cores that bad, but I really don't see the need to overclock such a chip. If the power usage was the same, sure, but it's not and so you need to look at more exotic cooling solutions. Stock you can just use a decent AIO cooler and job done. As for the quad core, yeah i'm surprised he hasn't upgraded it, but I think that particular rig is upgraded every two or so years. Still rocking a 1080Ti because the 2080Ti was priced so stupidly.

7700K as mentioned is still pretty good in games, paired with a 1080Ti I can see why he wasn't fussed about upgrading till something properly worthwhile was released.

21. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    7700K as mentioned is still pretty good in games, paired with a 1080Ti I can see why he wasn't fussed about upgrading till something properly worthwhile was released.

22. Post
    Am I supposed to watch that and work out how it relates to the quote? lol

Ignoring the fact it's likely another poorly done PC port of a game, give me a tl;dr. GamersNexus have covered some random bugs with the game.

Screenshot from GamersNexus. You miss out on the average FPS but still match the 9900k minimum framerates. Not a bad result really, minium FPS is a lot more important than average IMO. Well at least when you're north of 60FPS. 8700k low results are actually worse than the 7700k, lol'd. tl;dr, shit game to use for comparisons.

Name:	gamersnexus.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	227719
    Last edited by Fragluton; 15th November 2019 at 11:29 am.

23. Post
    7700k is fine in rdr2 - GPU is far more important. Sure if you need 120fps or something it's a bit slower, but you are unlikely to find that a common scenario

24. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    I have no idea what this means
    It translates from Japanese to English as "Painful Car"

It's a car thing and that card is like the pc equivalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itasha

25. Post
    Th3WhiteKnight wrote:
    It translates from Japanese to English as "Painful Car"

It's a car thing and that card is like the pc equivalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itasha
    By painful I thought it was an insult, by Wikipedia suggests that's just what it's called. I guess it's like Otaku in the sense that it's negative literally but not really for those who call themselves it?