GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 15,876 to 15,900 of 15980

1. Post
    sad...

2. Post
    AND IT'S NOT AN OVERCLOCKED 2070 SUPER NAMED THE 2077.

What is this madness?

3. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Oh my god I was going to make a "I'm disappointed" joke at the Ampere announcement while not actually expecting to be disappointed but I am actually, genuinely disappointed.

It's actually, quite possibly, the most disappointing announcement they've made in a long while.

On a less disappointing note, NZ is included in the sweepstakes.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...pstakes-terms/
    Man, if I wanted to falsely plug nvidia's shit about "spreads their excitement about Cyberpunk 2077 and/or gaming on PC", I'd become a youtube shill and get paid for it.

4. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Man, if I wanted to falsely plug nvidia's shit about "spreads their excitement about Cyberpunk 2077 and/or gaming on PC", I'd become a youtube shill and get paid for it.
    \_(ツ)_/ You just have to like the Facebook post.

5. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    \_(ツ)_/ You just have to like the Facebook post.
    I mean, yeah, I suppose, just hate doing free unpaid marketing. The competition also says "Each entrant will be allowed one (1) direct entry." while saying "Be on the lookout for additional similar posts. Enter the same way, and as often as you like."

6. Post
    Whatever its supposed to be - I wouldn't buy it. Better off to wait for the upgraded super version to release a few months down the track.

7. Post
    dr.m0x wrote:
    Whatever its supposed to be - I wouldn't buy it. Better off to wait for the upgraded super version to release a few months down the track.
    It's not even for sale. It's just a limited run of the reference 2080 ti wearing different clothes.

8. Post
    When one is too lazy to even click a link to see what the product is lol.

Competitions are lame, don't enter.

I don't want my chances reduced.

9. Post
    nvidia wrote:
    To enter this promotion, you must:

Starting February 17, 2020, we will publish a #RTXOn themed series of posts on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook until February 28, 2020. The entrant spreads their excitement about Cyberpunk 2077 and/or gaming on PC to a friend by tagging them in one of our contest posts on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook (if prompted), including a positive message (if prompted), and using the #RTXOn hashtag (if prompted).
    So they want a heap of fake endorsements, get fooked!

10. Post
    Well it's actually pretty boring IMO.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nv...eo-card,2.html

11. Post
    eh.. i guess?

12. Post
    Microsoft just released the full specs for the Xbox one series X including that it has a RDNA 2.0 GPU that outputs 12 Teraflops (compared to the 9.7 Teraflops of RDNA 1.0 the 5700xt has) and supports Direct X 12 DXR Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing.

The last item is significant- it means AMD and Nvidia is using the same API to do Ray Tracing so games will by default support both brands, as predicted. Waiting for Frag...

I wonder how many PC gamers will forfeit upgrades and jump ship now that we have consoles with the graphics power of a RTX2080, possible 2080 Super.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 25th February 2020 at 2:26 pm.

13. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Microsoft just released the full specs for the Xbox one series X including that it has a RDNA 2.0 GPU that outputs 12 Teraflops (compared to the 9.7 Teraflops of RDNA 1.0 the 5700xt has) and supports Direct X 12 DXR Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing.

The last item is significant- it means AMD and Nvidia is using the same API to do Ray Tracing so games will by default support both brands, as predicted.

I wonder how many PC gamers will forfeit upgrades and jump ship now that we have consoles with the graphics power of a RTX2080, possible 2080 Super.
    AMD usually have a higher ratio of compute units relative to rasters. So FLOPS can usually be compared for relative graphics performance AMD to AMD, or Nvidia to Nvidia but not AMD to Nvidia.

That's why AMD cards always made better miners, and why cards like the 1080 were poor choices. So unless these PC gamers are planning to mine on their consoles, not many based on a FLOPS number.

FLOPS are FLOPS, graphics power is graphics power.

14. Post
    Navi/RDNA got more out of FLOPs than GCN Sun, and RDNA2 is meant to be a instruction change again.
    So you cant even compare AMD to AMD now :P

also rumours
    https://wccftech.com/amd-next-gen-fl...-24-gb-memory/

15. Post
    Siris Le Osiris wrote:
    Navi/RDNA got more out of FLOPs than GCN Sun, and RDNA2 is meant to be a instruction change again.
    So you cant even compare AMD to AMD now :P
    It can surely only go higher right? The Xbox has 24% more tflops than the 5700xt AND it's on updated architecture which might also bring higher IPC, plus games on the Xbox will use Variable Rate Shading which is the 5700xt doesn't have so that's another 10% extra performance for the Xbox
    Last edited by SirGrim; 25th February 2020 at 11:28 am.

16. Post
    It is one thing to see these figures on paper but then the actual product comes attached to a jet turbine...

17. Post
    brand wrote:
    It is one thing to see these figures on paper but then the actual product comes attached to a jet turbine...
    Yeah, I hope Sony gets their cooling sorted for the PS5, the PS4 pro fan curve is just ridiculous, it's either making no noise at all or it's an aeroplane.

18. Post
    Don't worry, AMD has cooling sorted on their reference GPU's.

Oh wait...

Specs wise it's doable without creating a shitload of noise. If they have the process and RDNA2 sorted, it should be efficient. It could well be downclocked to keep things in check. If you downclock and undervolt AMD's current lineup the power consumption drops dramatically, temps will follow. I'd trust Nvidia to nail it more than I would AMD, they just seem to drop the ball for no good reason, at times.

Edit: I see Jim has a video out that looks to cover AMD shit GPU launches lol. I haven't watched it yet, just going by the title. "Fixing AMD's "Hot and Loud" Graphics Launches."
    Last edited by Fragluton; 25th February 2020 at 3:00 pm.

19. Post
    Thankfully AMD isn't in charge of cooling, of course there will be a minimum requirement to meet standards but it's up Microsoft/Sony if they want to put on better cooling and it's also up to Microsoft/Sony to decide what clock speeds they want to run at (within reason). Consoles usually don't spend much on cooling, apparently past consoles have cooling listed at $5 cost or less in the BoM - even at the discount you expect they would get, what does $5 get you in terms of a cooler lol?

20. Post
    Yeah $5 doesn't get you much aluminium that's for sure!

21. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Thankfully AMD isn't in charge of cooling, of course there will be a minimum requirement to meet standards but it's up Microsoft/Sony if they want to put on better cooling and it's also up to Microsoft/Sony to decide what clock speeds they want to run at (within reason). Consoles usually don't spend much on cooling, apparently past consoles have cooling listed at $5 cost or less in the BoM - even at the discount you expect they would get, what does $5 get you in terms of a cooler lol?
    Fragluton wrote:
    Yeah $5 doesn't get you much aluminium that's for sure!
    Industrial price of aluminium is $1.7USD/KG. $5 doesn't seem below board when your cooler looks like this:
    Name:  pdkUusOIgotjVmCZ.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  363.5 KB

Their factory will be making them, that $5 won't include marketing, distributors, R&D, packaging, margin, freight, insurance, a range of brackets etc.

Manufacturing is actually pretty cheap, including raw materials. It's buying bits from other people that's expensive.

22. Post
    It's not even the amount they spend on cooling parts, it's just poor design. The PS4 pro case feels like it just doesn't have enough air intake through the tiny holes in the middle 'rung' (for lack of a better word) of the console. They should've got rid of the rung entirely to give it better airflow, or added an intake somewhere else, but I guess that wasn't worth the R&D cost/ it didn't look 'cool' enough for marketing.

23. Post
    Any idea when or we will get 10th-gen Intel desktop CPUs.

24. Post
    geek bench scores have popped up for a yet unknown Engineering Sample Nvidia GPUs.
    Its actually benchmarks from last year but no one noticed them sitting in the geekbench database until today.

https://twitter.com/_rogame/status/1233419594104262656

> 7552 Cuda cores (118 CUs)
    > 1.11GHz core clock
    > 24GB of memory

Geekbench 5 Compute score: 184096 (Open CL)

25. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    geek bench scores have popped up for a yet unknown Engineering Sample Nvidia GPUs.
    Its actually benchmarks from last year but no one noticed them sitting in the geekbench database until today.

https://twitter.com/_rogame/status/1233419594104262656

> 7552 Cuda cores (118 CUs)
    > 1.11GHz core clock
    > 24GB of memory

Geekbench 5 Compute score: 184096 (Open CL)

That'll probably be the Teslas that supercomputer switched to.

This dealio:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15461...puter-schedule