GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 15,326 to 15,350 of 15527

1. Post
    ive got a intel pentium 4500 currently and just ordered a AMD 3600 and other goodies. currently cant run GTA:V due to it only being a dual core. looking forward to a bit more speed on all fronts.

2. Post
    Looks like Intel wasn't lying when it said they that 10nm Ice Lake got significant IPC gains over coffeelake.

Mobile 15w CPU i7-1065G7 (Ice Lake 10nm) has popped up on Geekbench, using a HP Spectre x360 laptop

With a single core boost clock of only 3.8ghz - it's enough to just about match the ryzen 3900x in single core score

It's also beats the current gen 14nm i9-9980HK by several hundred points, despite that being a 45w chip and boosting to 5ghz on a single core.

https://www.techquila.co.in/10th-gen...ryzen-9-3900x/

And while this is all meaningless for Desktop users, I still find it interesting to see what could have been if Intel had been able to deliver 10nm desktop parts. As it stands, it's unlikely that these Ice lake chips will be used for anything other than portable devices
    Last edited by SirGrim; 23rd July 2019 at 5:43 pm.

3. Post
    Love how pissed off he was at having to review this:

Looks like I won't be replacing my 1080Ti STRIX anytime soon, unless AMD can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

4. Post
    I better grab some ram before prices go up up up!

5. Post
    Kog wrote:
    I better grab some ram before prices go up up up!
    They already have, at least in New Zealand.

This is the RAM I bought a few months back, it cost $749

https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?pu=4892586

At the start of July it was down to $575

And 3 weeks later, it's now gone up to $799

But there is a good chance that the prices go even higher in the foreseeable future as Samsung and SK Hynix stock dries up.

HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Looks like I won't be replacing my 1080Ti STRIX anytime soon, unless AMD can pull a rabbit out of a hat.
    Every 1080ti owner should be loving this.Rather than splashing money, all it does is re validate that the 1080ti is the best value GPU ever sold

6. Post
    Not sure I'd consider $1500 (what they cost when I was in the market) best value ever. Just shows that they got lazy and have given small performance bumps and continued to bump the prices without the performance to match. Not all consumers fell for it though, so sales dropped off dramatically.

AMD can easily pull a rabbit with Navi. The only question is when. They will be able to beat 2080ti no worries, so it just comes down to their game plan.

7. Post
    It looks like they were as low as $1200 on launch, which was 2 and a half years ago now.

Nearly 3 years on, you can still sell that 1080ti for most of what you paid, not that you have a reason to sell it when the best AMD has, can only match it and anything better from Nvidia costs significantly more.

If you can think of another card that has held most of it's value for nearly 3 years and still performs at it's original target (1440p 144hz), I'm all ears. I still say it's the best value GPU ever.

But all good things must come to an end and I believe in 2020, both AMD and Nvidia will be releasing GPU's that blow the current stock away and therefore erode all the value away from the current lineup.

8. Post
    I think you'll find most cards around that age are worth half what they cost originally. Nothing surprising there. Was your Strix $1200? I know someone that paid $1500 which was a deal at the time for a decent model 1080Ti.

SirGrim wrote:
    If you can think of another card that has held most of it's value for nearly 3 years and still performs at it's original target (1440p 144hz), I'm all ears. I still say it's the best value GPU ever.
    Which graphs are you looking at which put the 1080Ti near 144hz in current games? 2080Ti very rarely manages that, let alone a 1080Ti. 1080Ti is often well below 100FPS. Not sure the 1080Ti was ever a 1440P 144hz card, unless you turn a bunch of settings down quuuuuite far.

As you say, next year we should actually see some worthwhile gains. 1080Ti was a great performer when released for sure. They have just sat on their hands since.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 24th July 2019 at 1:43 pm.

9. Post
    I got my 1080ti Strix for $1,259.96 (inc coupon discount) in 2017, not regretting it one bit still

10. Post
    1080ti was not good value, it's just that all the nvidia releases since then have been even worse value which makes the overpriced 1080ti look good. If I could get 30% more performance for the same sort of $ I paid for my 1080ti I'd have upgraded already. Hopefully there will be something worthwhile next year, feels bad to have to sit on the same gpu for so long.

11. Post
    dr.m0x wrote:
    1080ti was not good value, it's just that all the nvidia releases since then have been even worse value which makes the overpriced 1080ti look good. If I could get 30% more performance for the same sort of $ I paid for my 1080ti I'd have upgraded already. Hopefully there will be something worthwhile next year, feels bad to have to sit on the same gpu for so long.
    1080ti is excellent value in hindsight. It's still a high end GPU two years later and will probably continue to do so for another year at least.

Of course none of us knew this at the time

12. Post
    strix 1080ti was not 1200 at launch lols, they ended up low 1200s a fair bit after launch with coupon codes etc but that didn't last long with the mining boom

13. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    1080ti is excellent value in hindsight. It's still a high end GPU two years later and will probably continue to do so for another year at least.

Of course none of us knew this at the time
    That's not 'excellent value', that's market stagnation. Also it's price was damn all over the place - it was only a good value card if you upgraded at the right place at the right time. It's obvious they've been holding back for the last 2 years.

Meanwhile I'm still sitting on my 980ti waiting for something affordable that will power 3440x1440 at 120hz. Radeon VII is now cancelled so maybe AMD has still got something for us?

14. Post
    I'm glad I got 1080ti's. Didnt need to wait for AIB cards either as I was going to put water blocks on them anyway.

No idea when my next upgrade will be, but I'm really in no hurry after seeing the latest releases from both manufacturers...

15. Post
    Big Navi gon rule them all!

16. Post
    mac-one-oh wrote:
    Big Navi gon rule them all!
    I hope so. The gpu market has been stale for far too long.

17. Post
    I do wonder why NV went down the RTX route rather than just piling on performance...

18. Post
    I suspect they may not be able to pile on the performance without a die shrink, which would cost them a lot, so they went with some bs marketing of a niche feature instead.

At the end of the day they don't need to improve performance until amd catch up on the high end as well as the mid and no one with a pascal card would "upgrade" for the same or similar performance without some sort of added benefit being sold to them.

19. Post
    If the RTX hardware is leveraged in 3D rendering engines the same way CUDA is used in video editing, that would be a big plus for me.

Otherwise, it's just another fancy Nvidia graphics option that can only be used in a handful of games. Like physx, hairworks etc. Hard to justify an upgrade for just that...

20. Post
    I got my 1080Ti STRIX last year for $950 off tards and it looked like brand new - so I am happy with that considering the stupid price of GPU's now.

My best value GPU(s) was still probably my 7970Ghz/R9 280x crossfire (till they stopped supporting it), they lasted me years and the two of them combined cost less than a 1080Ti at RRP.

21. Post
    brand wrote:
    I do wonder why NV went down the RTX route rather than just piling on performance...
    Multiple reasons.

Nvidia has been working on Ray Tracing tech for more than 10 years and actually wanted to bring to market a long time ago when they estimated GPU advancements would be much better than it actually turned out to be.

They had a big performance lead over AMD and knew they could stuff a good chunk of the card with ray tracing tech and still beat AMD in raster workloads.

They expected the market would push AMD towards ray tracing, thus giving Nvidia a lead as first to market and a edge - and it worked, Nvidia has played the marketing like a fiddle. Whether you like or hate Ray Tracing, the point is that's all everyone talks about - read every single 5700xt review and one of the first things you'll read is: It doesn't have ray tracing.

And lastly, they will never publish internal testing results. It could very well be that stacking more SM units and Cuda cores onto Turing yielded little further performance benefit anyway and Nvidia has maxed out it's process node and needs to move to 7nm.

22. Post
    Anything the 5700 cards compete with don't have usable ray tracing anyway, so that is a mute point. Well, unless you want to run laughable frame rates. Ray tracing is still only in a handful of games. At least by the time it's actually usable, there will be more game support.

AMD will release ray tracing when it doesn't nuke gaming performance. Seems a better way of doing it than nuking performance just to be able to say "first". RTX was almost a cover for "only a small bump in peformance, but look at this ray tracing and DLSS" Yes I know DLSS is dead, but their implementation of ray tracing could be dead at some point too. Doesn't seem like a very efficient way of providing ray tracing if you need to spent 2k+

Ray tracing looks cool, but if given the choice between 60fps ray traced and 100fps+ without it, i'd be going without everytime.

2070 for example 1440P nets you 40-65fps DXR, 80-100fps+ DXR off, quite a difference in gameplay in BF:V which is one of the few games supporting it currently.

23. Post
    They expected the market would push AMD towards ray tracing, thus giving Nvidia a lead as first to market and a edge - and it worked, Nvidia has played the marketing like a fiddle.
    It didn't work at all, in fact it was a failure of monumental proportions. Nvidia's stock price was over $260 leading up to the 20xx's release in September. By year end it was $133. Half of the company's value wiped out in a matter of months.

24. Post
    Maybe if they turn ray tracing off the share price will go back up? The drop seems to match that of DXR on vs off.

25. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    It didn't work at all, in fact it was a failure of monumental proportions. Nvidia's stock price was over $260 leading up to the 20xx's release in September. By year end it was $133. Half of the company's value wiped out in a matter of months.
    uh huh

I actually went and had a look, and I personally don't give a crap about either as I don't own shares of either but whatever.
    You are correct, Nvidia did hit a massive drop - you know who else also dropped, AMD - they went from $32 to $17 from September 2018 to October 2018. So maybe these drops is an industry wide event at the end of the mining bubble, and just maybe AMD's recovery has been on the back of it's Ryzen 2 chips forecasted to make major inroads into Intel market share and nothing to do with Nvidia.