GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 15,426 to 15,450 of 15547

1. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3410...n-ryzen-9.html

In regards to the icelake beating 3900X single core performance, recently reported.

Not the case.
    Some people in the media are missing the point by trying to make it sound like Ice lake 15w mobile part is somehow faster than a 105w $900nzd 12 core monster.

It’s not

The real take way is IPC. Notice how it’s single core score at 3.8ghz is on par with the 5ghz 9980HK?
    It appears Ice Lake IPC blows right past Zen 2 and Coffeelake.
    So if you took a 3900x, 9900k and that Ice Lake i7 and set all to run just at 3.8ghz then you should see the Ice Lake part at the top of IPC.

Of course this is all academic - in reality it’s meaningless unless Intel can produce a Desktop 8 core+ 5ghz Ice Lake cpu. Which it cannot, until 2021 most likely and by then we’ll have Zen 3

2. Post
    Could be the next conroe

3. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Some people in the media are missing the point by trying to make it sound like Ice lake 15w mobile part is somehow faster than a 105w $900nzd 12 core monster.

It’s not

The real take way is IPC. Notice how it’s single core score at 3.8ghz is on par with the 5ghz 9980HK?
    So if you took a 3900x, 9900k and that Ice Lake i7 and set all to run just at 3.8ghz then you should see the Ice Lake part at the top of IPC.

Of course this is all academic - in reality it’s meaningless unless Intel can produce a Desktop 8 core+ 5ghz Ice Lake cpu. Which it cannot, until 2021 most likely and by then we’ll have Zen 3
    Always remember increasing ipc often comes at the cost of frequency this is very likely the case with 10nm Intel. Amd initially expected a reduction in clock speeds from 7nm it's just tsmc can apparently fab better than gloflo

4. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    Well so far it's not posting..
    Had smae issue, bought a Gigabyte X470 board and a 3600, needed to borrow a workmates 2600 CPU to get the motherboard to post so i could update the bios. tried all other methods,including different ram.

5. Post
    I got mine working. It was the usb that took a while to kick in. The easy flash led blinked red for a few minutes then when I was googling what was up, I saw the stick start to blink and the process began. I used the latest bios update rather than v18 people were suggesting.

6. Post
    shout out to all the beta testers and low binn chip buyers

7. Post
    serious>klown wrote:
    Someone has to subsidize the high quality binned chips coming later on :P

In other news, the next Wolfenstein is out and this game has excellent support for Turing architecture

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/w...ormance/4.html

Look how much it helps the RTX2080. Remember how it was nearly on par with the 1080ti on launch?

Well now the 2080 is 28% faster than the 1080ti and the 2080ti is 60% ahead of the 1080ti.

And they left Variable Rate Shading set to off. If it's enabled it adds another 15% performance to the RTX cards

8. Post
    shame its probably pooze

9. Post
    serious>klown wrote:
    Low bin chips that will smash whatever you are running, that must be embarrassing.

Latest Adored.
    tl;dr all the complainers about paywall get educated. It's a shame that more people don't support youtube creators, yet will bag them 24/7. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

10. Post
    its getting educated the new getting woke?

11. Post
    Educated was perhaps too strong. I don't genuinely think those people will / can learn. Even when pointed out it was going to lose him money by doing it.

12. Post
    It is always a good idea to insult your consumers -it ensures they will continue to support you and give you money...

13. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    shame its probably pooze
    So I’ve heard - dunno why they decided to add rpg mechanics into a wolf game

Probably end up just being a nice tech showcase - 4K 120hz on the 2080ti is cool if your screen can handle it.
    Ray Tracing patch to be released later on to tank the performance down to 70hz probs lol

14. Post
    i don't watch adored but in the past couple of months, he has taught me to not trust "leaks" esp by who paddle views for a living

15. Post
    AMD will give an update on the Destiny 2 situation on Tuesday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...destiny_2_and/

16. Post
    serious>klown wrote:
    Rather like now being able to play gta:v and squad. Dont care if its not the biggest or most expensive. It works and it works well.

17. Post
    Why are people so obsessed with AdoredTV? The guy is a hack with a terrible track record. He also seems like a drama queen. His "leak" of the AMD sku's was hilarious, but his inability to admit he was played is even more hilarious. The dude has a massive ego.

18. Post
    SirGrim wrote:

It’s not

True, but the real money is in laptops not desktops. So if they can drop out 4 and 6 core laptop cpu's with that ipc that's a big win for them.

19. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Someone has to subsidize the high quality binned chips coming later on :P

In other news, the next Wolfenstein is out and this game has excellent support for Turing architecture

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/w...ormance/4.html

Look how much it helps the RTX2080. Remember how it was nearly on par with the 1080ti on launch?

Well now the 2080 is 28% faster than the 1080ti and the 2080ti is 60% ahead of the 1080ti.

And they left Variable Rate Shading set to off. If it's enabled it adds another 15% performance to the RTX cards

asynchronous compute is done properly on turing - neutral in pascal and reduced performance with maxwell.

20. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Low bin chips that will smash whatever you are running, that must be embarrassing.

Latest Adored.
    tl;dr all the complainers about paywall get educated. It's a shame that more people don't support youtube creators, yet will bag them 24/7. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
    I said it before, he is a drama queen.

21. Post
    Bullion wrote:
    asynchronous compute is done properly on turing - neutral in pascal and reduced performance with maxwell.
    Yes, Turing does Floating and Integer calculations at the same time while Pascal can only do one or the other at a time.

The AMD cards have also had good async compute support and as such they have very good performance against Pascal here.

Bobs wrote:
    True, but the real money is in laptops not desktops. So if they can drop out 4 and 6 core laptop cpu's with that ipc that's a big win for them.
    I suspect they're going to run into supply issues once again regardless. The number of cores is up in the air, so far we've only seen 4c/8t Icelake parts, which while it appears they can beat the best gaming coffee lake i9 laptops in single thread, they'll still loose in multithread.

Where the Ice Lake parts do have a very clear advantage is power draw - 15w Ice Lake vs 45w Coffee Lake i9
    Last edited by SirGrim; 27th July 2019 at 7:46 pm.

22. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Wish I still had time for gamez... How do u guys find the time? Or do we all just upgrade with all the best intention to but never get the chance?
    You upgrade, buy the games and then pretend how awesome it is running and what fun you are having while at home.

i am guilty of that, my 3 step plan is 1. admit there is a problem . 2 Stop buying games on Steam sale which i never get a chance to play, 3 ????

i have not figured out what 3 is LOL.

23. Post
    I bet Sirgrim doesn't even finish the games he buys �� they're just a benchmark tool for him lol

24. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I bet Sirgrim doesn't even finish the games he buys �� they're just a benchmark tool for him lol
    Actually I most recently finished AC Odyssey and all it's DLC - good 80 hours into that game. Now jamming We Happy Few, which has mean Bioshock vibes