GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 15,976 to 15,990 of 15990

1. Post
    i wonder how long before the big OEMs put out AMD 4XXX laptops, i still do not see a MS Surface , Lenovo , Dell , HP etc unit.

actually just saw the Surface 4 and Dell 4000 laptops, looking good, i might think about getting an upgrade from the boss when i come back
    Last edited by Bloody; 31st March 2020 at 10:09 pm.

2. Post
    Who wants a 3950x in a laptop?

https://bestware.com/de/xmg-apex-15.html

Last edited by SirGrim; 1st April 2020 at 10:12 am.

3. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Who wants a 3950x in a laptop?

https://bestware.com/de/xmg-apex-15.html
    How TF are they cooling that? It'll need so many fans it'll take off.

Only 2.6 kg? Lighter than the Pentium 133 MHz laptop I had back in 1998.

4. Post
    scholar wrote:
    How TF are they cooling that? It'll need so many fans it'll take off.

Only 2.6 kg? Lighter than the Pentium 133 MHz laptop I had back in 1998.
    Says it's running at 65W in EcoMode, so it won't run like it was in a desktop. You can probably take it out of Eco Mode but the cooling system won't be built for it.

Although 62Wh is pretty crappy to power it all, you'd be lucky to get an hour of it idling on the 2060. Which probably means about half an hour of regular usage, at which point, why even bother with a laptop?

These guys got 94W idle with a 2080Ti on a desktop and idle shouldn't change between normal and eco mode:
    https://www.kitguru.net/components/c...Speed=noscript

I also tried Anandtech (doesn't give idle), LegitReviews (GPU selection says various and idle power doesn't say which GPU) and Guru3D (no mention of the test bench) but couldn't get an idle power reading that told me what GPU they used.

As a comparison the Dell Precision, which are known to be huge beasts, weighs the same 2.5KG and whilst it defaults to a 64Wh battery has a 97Wh option for an extra 2% cost and a second battery option.

That battery is a serious oversight.

5. Post
    65W isn't thaaaaaaat bad. Base clock of 2.6 will certainly drop the power consumption down. Will still use less power than the high power Intel laptops.

6. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    65W isn't thaaaaaaat bad.
    Better than Intel's new i9 10980HK that uses 67.5w for a single core only to hit it's 5.3ghz thermal velocity single core boost. Oh and that speed only happens at 45c or lower. To get 5.2ghz thermal velocity boost the cpu must be under 65c and under 85c for 5.1ghz. Total power draw is also up, with PL2 state now drawing 135w compared to 120w on the 9980HK.

And the desktop 10900k will behave in the same way most likely, requiring a sizeable custom loop to actually hit it's advertised clock speed under load. At least AMD can hit its clock speed with the boxed air cooler.

7. Post
    Yikes, they really are pushing things beyond the limit to try and compete.

8. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Yikes, they really are pushing things beyond the limit to try and compete.
    Not compete, just maintain single core performance clock speed/lead.
    Other than that they fail in every area

9. Post
    Yeah they can't compete, i'm not even sure they'll compete in single core applications. AMD IPC is beyond Intel's enough that Intel may not be able to get clocks high enough. Even then it's purely for benchmark charts, as it won't run for any decent time at said clocks.

10. Post
    I'm just hanging out for that Corona market crash so I can buy back into AMD and Nvidia.

11. Post
    It drives me mad that AMD hasn't made a competitive 'NUC' yet. Surely they would ruin Intel's market here.

12. Post
    Are NUC's selling like hotcakes?

13. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    It drives me mad that AMD hasn't made a competitive 'NUC' yet. Surely they would ruin Intel's market here.
    They're going mass markets first, once they have significant shares and decent revenue coming in they can do more side markets

14. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Are NUC's selling like hotcakes?
    We were buying NUCS for practices for a little bit, but then switched to Dell SFF's when they were cheaper, better specced and had a 3yr on site hardware warranty.

15. Post
    watchthisspace wrote:
    We were buying NUCS for practices for a little bit, but then switched to Dell SFF's when they were cheaper, better specced and had a 3yr on site hardware warranty.
    Yeah I have noticed that as well come to think of it. HP/Lenovo also have a large range. Almost all Intel based.