GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 14,276 to 14,300 of 15492

1. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Hmm I see. What about the Radeon Fury cards they did? Were those GCN too
    AMD introduces GCN in 2011, some it’s first cards like the HD7870 that I owned used it
    Navi will be the 6th generation of cards to use GCN

2. Post
    Yep I know of GCN but I'm just surprised they're still using it. It must be fairly modified from its first inception though.

3. Post
    Intel is still using the same architecture from around the same time aren't they? Just tweak it here and there to get some gainz. I imagine they haven't had the money to start from the ground up. But they may have started that now, after getting some coin from Epyc/TR/Ryzen

Can't really compare Vega 7 to 2080ti power wise either. The Vega 7 is a compute card, 2080Ti is a gaming card. AMD lacks what Nvidia has, high end gaming cards. But that's not a big deal, only really affects the price people pay for the top end Nvidia cards. Doesn't really affect most gamers. We don't actually know how much power the Vega 7 uses anyway do we? I haven't seen benches done yet. Navi will shake up the mid tier later this year all going to plan. I don't imagine the high end models being far off the Vega 7. Can't wait to see some Vega 7 benches in the likes of BFV. I don't need to upgrade, but if it would have me maxing my screen @ 144hz on ultra i'd be tempted.

4. Post
    I can't decide on what CPU I want yet so to buy some time I thought I'd buy my GPU and drop it in replacing my 970gtx. Out of the 2060's, is there one that seems to stand out? I want the reference version as I much prefer the cleaner cooler design rather than the trend of making them look like exotic super cars.

Can't find one though.

5. Post
    I would look at temps and noise levels rather than what it looks like. Also coil whine.

6. Post
    The case for my new build is a solid slab with no side window so I don't have to worry about how anything looks (not that I do anyway apart from cables impeding airflow).

7. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    I would look at temps and noise levels rather than what it looks like. Also coil whine.
    I'm not going to be choosing a card based solely on what it looks like, but it is something I'm taking into consideration.

8. Post
    The Gigabyte 2060 (triple fan setup) seems to look pretty decent and does well in reviews/benchmarks.

9. Post
    Modders building in RTX support for older games

First up Quake 2 - FYI it's not just reflections like BFV - Quake 2 is using full real time ray tracing including lighting, shadows, reflections and more

Make the game look massively different, pretty cool

Last edited by SirGrim; 29th January 2019 at 10:48 am.

10. Post
    Finally RTX owners can play Quake 2 to really show off their graphics cards...

11. Post
    It's a pretty neat proof of concept

It's not possible to run modern AAA games in realtime with full ray tracing like that Quake 2 mod - and won't be possible for several years

But that doesn't mean older games can't be modded and makes them fun to replay again

Pretty keen to play Morrowind/Oblivion with this + a high res texture mod

12. Post
    So whats the go on RTX cards dying? Is that still a thing?

13. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    So whats the go on RTX cards dying? Is that still a thing?
    Apparently not, was a bunch of the first batches.

14. Post

+- 20% higher score than Vega 64 in Timespy and Firestrike (1440p and 4k benches)

No point comparing the amd vs nvidia numbers because synthetic comparisons only work between the same architecture, but comparing vega 64 and radeon 7 is worthwhile and more accurate since it's the same architecture (Graphics Core Next 5th Gen)

Something else of note is how the gap between Radeon 7 and Vega 64 gets larger as the resolution gets bigger, something which we've noticed on Nvidia cards, especially the rtx series - it appears that's because Radeon 7's extra bandwidth starts to flex it's muscle - the gap becomes rather narrow on the 1080p 3D mark bench, which implies Radeon 7 is likely aimed at 1440p or higher and not intended to be used at 1080p (or just not a good 1080p value proposition)
    Last edited by SirGrim; 30th January 2019 at 6:01 pm.

15. Post
    What can we take away from that ^

16. Post
    Nothing really. Wait for the legit benches as per usual.

17. Post
    Anyone have the scoop on when we will see the RTX2080 & to models with the AIO coolers? Having a tiny case means most of the current fan cooled ones won't fit and my current 1070 sounds like a hurricane when it's running on full fan.

18. Post
    The only listing I've seen is this one from MSI on preorder: https://www.playtech.co.nz/geforce-r...ea-hawk-x.html

No idea when any AIO will actually arrive, they've been selling in the U.S for over a month already so dunno why it's not here

Alternatively you can create your own AIO by using a Kraken G12 bracket and attaching a CPU AIO cooler to your GPU

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/com...p?partid=29208

19. Post
    Yeah I was looking at the g12, not due for a while. Tried asking computer lounge about the AIO cards and got fobbed off with a "no idea there's a huge waiting list" not really answering the question. Will keep an eye on playtech for now. Cheers!

20. Post
    Another option would be to buy a second-hand 1080Ti.

21. Post
    Interesting heatsink design

22. Post
    Can you on-sell the games that you get with radeon cards? or is it tied to the system?

23. Post
    Someone posted their benchmarks early, looks like AMD is back in business

Listings are up in Europe, cards priced at 750 euros, which is around the advertised MSRP once accounting for the heavy sales tax they have in Europe

But at the same time those European retailers are reporting low stock - apparently the entire UK only gets 100 units, France gets a couple dozen units, Spain gets 20 units etc. So maybe NZ will get 5 units?

24. Post
    I believe these are based off the numbers AMD released and not off actual benching performed externally.

25. Post
    **** me video cards are expensive. 750 euros....so probably looking at $1400 here in NZ. You could get a 1080ti with the same performance for $200 less 2 ****ing years ago. What a joke the market is.