Latest CPU & GPU Discussion (Intel/AMD/Nvidia)

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 14,301 to 14,325 of 14567

1. Post
    NV and AMD have worked out that they can milk high end gamers because they will pay just about any price to have the latest and greatest.

2. Post
    Those ****ers were saying they had plenty of cards to go around, even after information was going around indicating the opposite.

Oh well, it'll still be interesting to see what the actual numbers look like but I don't think this is going to be a better value purchase for gamers than a 2080. Probably workstation stuff it'll be better value for?

Hopefully it's good enough value that the AMD superfans lap it up and they can make strides towards a decent GPU release for once but we'll see.

3. Post
    Same rrp as 2080 isn't it? And those often go for $1200. Yeah pricing is bad, because no competition so Nvidia just released a bunch of cards at the same price performance as they did two years ago. Much value.

4. Post
    Doesn't help that AMD went with 16gb of HBM2 memory which is excessive imo. 12gb would have been better.

5. Post
    It'll be good once we have intel in the market next year, hopefully they can drum up some competition (can't believe I just said that).

6. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Doesn't help that AMD went with 16gb of HBM2 memory which is excessive imo. 12gb would have been better.
    They are repurposing compute card chips. Changing any specs at all would make it a bust economically. It would drop the memory bandwidth down too, which wouldn't help performance. Ignoring they'd have to make whole new chips for the job.

7. Post
    3dfx_ownd_joo wrote:
    It'll be good once we have intel in the market next year, hopefully they can drum up some competition (can't believe I just said that).
    They're not going to be targeting the high-end cards that most people here want, they'll be trying to cut the lunch of the others mainstream offerings for starters.

8. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    They're not going to be targeting the high-end cards that most people here want, they'll be trying to cut the lunch of the others mainstream offerings for starters.
    Player 3 entering, even in the mainstream market, can only mean good things for consumers. I can't wait

9. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    12GB would mean DDR6 = 600-700 Gbps instead of 1000Gbps = less performance

With HBM it was either going to be 8GB @ 500Gbps or 16GB @ 1000Gbps

And as Frag mentioned it is believed these Radeon cards are actually just Instinct chips that failed to pass quality inspection and instead of being thrown away they get re branded and sold, which is actually pretty damn good idea

10. Post
    Fair enough, had forgotten about Instinct

Either way, looking at the reviews the card looks like a bust. Seems to be a trend with AMD and GPU's. Same performance as a 1080ti from 2017 with more noise and price.

11. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Fair enough, had forgotten about Instinct

Either way, looking at the reviews the card looks like a bust. Seems to be a trend with AMD and GPU's. Same performance as a 1080ti from 2017 with more noise and price.
    Yep

Depending on game it's around RTX2080 on average

Only looked at a couple reviews, but those two could not overclock the card.

Ah here's one that got it working: https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-...chmarks?page=9

And one that got a decrease from trying to OC: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,29.html

This one is interesting too - they managed to reduce the max sensor temp by 10c by adding washers to make the cooler fit more tightly - perhaps the radeon vii has mounting issues with the cooler

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...on_VII/33.html
    Last edited by SirGrim; 8th February 2019 at 10:59 am.

12. Post
    the reviews say wait until drivers get more stable. The 7 mm tho does look good for the next gen at the end of the year .. maybe

13. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    I don't think it's a bust. Their drivers are a joke and it should have been delayed (as mentioned by some channels). But Nvidia released a card with the same performance as a 1080Ti, this gen too, in the RTX2080. So consumers are being let down by all manufacturers at the moment.

Seems they only released the 7 so they didn't disappear complete from the higher end bracket. A waste of time IMO. Would rather they waited till they actually had something decent to release. They also wanted the "first 7nm gaming card", i'm not sure who cares about that. Doesn't mean bugger all if the card isn't highly appealing to consumers, which this is not.

That said, it will be good to see what happens when they fix the drivers. There is no doubt they are going to be working 24/7 to fix those as the bad press is going to kill it otherwise. And rightly so.

14. Post
    Couple things that could fix the heat/noise

1) There is a theory that the Max sensor temp is driving the fan speed - as you can see below the Core temp is way lower than the board's max sensor temp but the fans still spin insanely fast to get the sensor temps down
    2) Taking the cooler off the board and adding washers to the mounting points and refitting the cooler results in a very significant temperature decrease

Last edited by SirGrim; 8th February 2019 at 4:52 pm.

15. Post

16. Post
    Last edited by SirGrim; 8th February 2019 at 4:49 pm.

17. Post
    Yeah, I reckon that once AMD saw the prices for RTX they could position re-purposed MI50 cards without making a loss. So probably weren't thinking about this space with Vega at 7nm but saw an opportunity and probably rushed to get into the market a bit too quickly.

18. Post
    Nothing like cherry picking the cheapest model 2080 off pricespy and saying "Makes the RTX 2080 good value", compared to the Radeon 7 preorder lol. If you want a decent brand, they are the same or higher cost. Nice try.

2080 are still overpriced, as is the Radeon 7. One day we might get competition again.

19. Post
    Hang on. The cheapest RTX 2080 on Computer lounge is $1299 also. Keep in mind the Radeon VII is being gouged due to just being launched. They are the same price, for now...

20. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Nothing like cherry picking the cheapest model 2080 off pricespy and saying "Makes the RTX 2080 good value", compared to the Radeon 7 preorder lol. If you want a decent brand, they are the same or higher cost. Nice try.

2080 are still overpriced, as is the Radeon 7. One day we might get competition again.
    yup 2080 was close to $1500 at launch, seems they dropped the price after CES or around then.

https://classic.pricespy.co.nz/product.php?pu=4912101

21. Post
    Ordered one from CL hopefully there supplier has enough stock.

Why did I get it over the 2080? because I run linux

22. Post
    What does Linux have to do with it?

23. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    Open CL

Make sure you undervolt it unless you enjoy sitting next to jet engines

24. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Open CL

Make sure you undervolt it unless you enjoy sitting next to jet engines
    This too
    I was just looking up some undervolting stuff

25. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    Also
    Opensource drivers
    Better driver support
    I don't run DX just vulkan and opengl
    No RT or DLSS stuff in Linux

Also worth noting that if someone unlock FP64 1:2 this will be on a enter other planet for performance in FP64 over the RTX range (it already is alot faster)