Latest CPU & GPU Discussion (Intel/AMD/Nvidia)

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 14,326 to 14,350 of 14585

  1. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    This too
    I was just looking up some undervolting stuff
    Yeah it seems to help a lot - less heat as the card draw less power - less noise and no performance loss

    One guy on reddit who did it got the card down to low 2000s rpm in games instead of 3000rpm that the card will hit almost straight away if you load a game up normally - and power draw dropped down to the same level as the rtx 2080

    And the card had the same clocks, so at least on his card amd way overvolted it
    Hopefully hey can all be undervolted nicely

  2. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    Also
    Opensource drivers
    Better driver support
    I don't run DX just vulkan and opengl
    No RT or DLSS stuff in Linux

    Also worth noting that if someone unlock FP64 1:2 this will be on a enter other planet for performance in FP64 over the RTX range (it already is alot faster)
    nvidia driver support in linux is absolutely fine (not open source but w/e). performance in opencl looks either very similar or worse than a 2080 (depending on the specific application). maybe driver optimisations can make this a bit better.

    i guess if you really need FP64 or heaps of video RAM it makes sense.

  3. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    nvidia driver support in linux is absolutely fine (not open source but w/e). performance in opencl looks either very similar or worse than a 2080 (depending on the specific application). maybe driver optimisations can make this a bit better.

    i guess if you really need FP64 or heaps of video RAM it makes sense.
    I guess I can just run my freesync monitor on Linux through the Nvidia drivers oh wait....
    Nvidias support is still kinda terrible IMHO

  4. Post
    yay you can enjoy that CLI at 100Hz lol

    it probably was terrible when that video was made (and it's still not ideal) but it's come a long way. having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing some real world benchmarks once you do get the card - we use linux/opencl at work and it's coming close to upgrade time. 2080ti are just too hot (and massive) to cram 4 into a chassis.

  5. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    yay you can enjoy that CLI at 100Hz lol

    it probably was terrible when that video was made (and it's still not ideal) but it's come a long way. having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing some real world benchmarks once you do get the card - we use linux/opencl at work and it's coming close to upgrade time. 2080ti are just too hot (and massive) to cram 4 into a chassis.
    Yeah phoronix did a review on it that is all I have seen so far from the linux side
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ii-linux&num=1

    I am interested myself I will try post some thoughts

  6. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    Ordered one from CL hopefully there supplier has enough stock.

    Why did I get it over the 2080? because I run linux
    Also 3 pretty good games are included

  7. Post
    Linux is such a tiny % of home users ( and also when you think of the larger % of home users to commercial business sales to their profit margin, ) i am not surprised they pay only a minimal effort to it.

  8. Post
    Hardware Unboxed just retested the Radeon 7 with the latest driver released today

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sy32ui39iqf21.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	545.6 KB 
ID:	225044

    And Gamers Nexus trying to test if they can make the RTX2080 throttle from VRAM bottleneck versus the 16GB of the Radeon 7


    tldr: is not really, not at 4k anyway - at 8k sure the 16gb on the radeon has an advantage for sure but neither card can play games at 8k anyway


  9. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Linux is such a tiny % of home users ( and also when you think of the larger % of home users to commercial business sales to their profit margin, ) i am not surprised they pay only a minimal effort to it.
    In specifically the home desktop market somewhat if you exclude Chromebooks.

  10. Post
    When are the next series of RX cards expected? Ive read June or July.

  11. Smile
    Said on Nvidia's web site the RTX series is 6 times faster than the older cards,

    I'm just wondering if that's the same with the GTX 1060 versus the RTX 2060?
    And also will there be a RTX 2050?

  12. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    When are the next series of RX cards expected? Ive read June or July.
    rx or rtx?

    i thought AMD were going straight for navi in sept/oct

  13. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    Said on Nvidia's web site the RTX series is 6 times faster than the older cards,

    I'm just wondering if that's the same with the GTX 1060 versus the RTX 2060?
    And also will there be a RTX 2050?
    Link to the site? There will be a * somewhere explaining that 6 times faster is something they pulled out of their arse and real world performance will differ.

    Gamers have been hit hard over the last couple of years with prices inflated by mining and now price gouging by NV and AMD.

    Where is the mainstream bang for buck GPU?

  14. Post
    That is marketing BS to do with ray tracing, not in general, so just ignore that MR.

  15. Smile
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    That is marketing BS to do with ray tracing, not in general, so just ignore that MR.
    ok thanks, Just thought that my GTX 1060 was worthless with the six times thing.

    Also brand it was on this page below where it said up to 6 times.

    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

    I tried to read about the new tech but it makes no sense to me anymore.
    It's a long way from my old Geforce 2 GTS that i loved.

  16. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    When are the next series of RX cards expected? Ive read June or July.
    Latest rumor from yesterday is Navi launch date is last week October or 1st week November

  17. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    ok thanks, Just thought that my GTX 1060 was worthless with the six times thing.

    Nvidia are just being intentionally misleading - it would be a clear breach of the Fair Trading Act if that was published locally, but it's an American site so they get away with murder.

    They are only comparing Pascal's Ray-Tracing performance to Turing's when making that statement - as Pascal wasn't built for Ray tracing (and doesn't support RTX - what Nvidia call their proprietary implementation of Ray tracing), using it as a benchmark is pointless - technically Pascal's RTX performance is 0, and 6x0 is still 0...

  18. Post
    Not it's not 0

    Ray Tracing (DX12 DXR) is a base DX12 feature, Pascal does in fact support Ray Tracing and So does the AMD Radeon 7 and the Vega 56 and the Vega 64 and so forth (if your GPU supports DX12, it supports Microsoft DX12 DXR) - it just runs 6 times slower because the Rays get calculated by traditional Cuda cores where the RTX cards seperate the work and push the Ray calculations and de-noising through the RTX cores

    Last edited by SirGrim; 11th February 2019 at 4:43 pm.

  19. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    ok thanks, Just thought that my GTX 1060 was worthless with the six times thing.
    Unless you are looking to spend $1.5k - $2.5k on a new graphics card RTX isn't something you need to worry about.

  20. Smile
    iRoN wrote:
    They are only comparing Pascal's Ray-Tracing performance to Turing's when making that statement - as Pascal wasn't built for Ray tracing (and doesn't support RTX - what Nvidia call their proprietary implementation of Ray tracing), using it as a benchmark is pointless - technically Pascal's RTX performance is 0, and 6x0 is still 0...
    So the new tech means nothing for any game that doesn't use the ray tracing,
    But what's the performance like when compared to a game that doesn't use ray tracing?

    I mean, Is there any point for anyone to upgrade apart from if they need a new card or want extra mem?

    Personally i think getting in on the ground level of new technology is always expensive and in this case i don't think there's many games that'll use it anyway, Better to hold off and wait for things to mature.

    brand wrote:
    Unless you are looking to spend $1.5k - $2.5k on a new graphics card RTX isn't something you need to worry about.
    I just like knowing stuff, I try to wait these days before jumping in on tech, I didn't get Intel's 6th or 7th cpu's but i decided i liked the 8th.


  21. Post
    The whole marketing campaign behind the RTX cards was ray tracing. Which is still only available in one(?) game. Same deal with DLSS, lots of hype, no gains for the average gamer (due to massive lack of games supporting it, once again). Basically RTX is marketed at people that believe the hype, not the reality. Anyone with a 1080Ti can just trim a couple of settings and still hit 60fps @ 4k. So RTX cards currently offer up nothing, that two year old tech didn't already provide. Time will tell if game developers can be bothered implementing any of the Nvidia stuff at all. Based on their current trend of doing the minimum possible to release a game, odds aren't great.

    They released it at consumer level way too soon. Anyone with a high end RTX paid for that failed experiment.

    AMD aren't really price gauging, they literally released the best gaming card they currently can. It just happens to cost nearly the RRP to produce. Their profit margin compared to Nvidia is laughable.

  22. Thumbs up
    Fragluton wrote:
    The whole marketing campaign behind the RTX cards was ray tracing. Which is still only available in one(?) game. Same deal with DLSS, lots of hype, no gains for the average gamer (due to massive lack of games supporting it, once again). Basically RTX is marketed at people that believe the hype, not the reality. Anyone with a 1080Ti can just trim a couple of settings and still hit 60fps @ 4k. So RTX cards currently offer up nothing, that two year old tech didn't already provide. Time will tell if game developers can be bothered implementing any of the Nvidia stuff at all. Based on their current trend of doing the minimum possible to release a game, odds aren't great.

    They released it at consumer level way too soon. Anyone with a high end RTX paid for that failed experiment.
    Thanks, That's basically what i wanted to know.

  23. Post
    If you're gaming @ 1080P 60hz, the GTX1060 is still fine.

  24. Post
    Don't know why everyone seems to think Ray Tracing is some new technology that only RTX can do
    It's been around for donkeys years - every animated Disney/Pixar movie has ray tracing going back years and years

    To be fair the Ray Tracing that Fermi from your link is not intended for real time gaming or videos but rather still image creation
    Last edited by SirGrim; 11th February 2019 at 4:44 pm.