GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 14,401 to 14,425 of 15492

1. Post
    AMD is based as ****.

2. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Reports of DLSS not looking too great in Metro?
    It's a bit blurry compared to OFF

That's what you get when you're guessing some of the pixels

That being said - a patch was released sometime yesterday that added a blur slider in the options menu - not sure how much it changes things

The funny thing is it's the total opposite of what was seen in the 3D Mark DLSS bench - where the DLSS image is not blurry at all and is very sharp and provides up to 100% performance gain. What we're seeing in BFV and Metro is 50% performance gain but a degrade in image clarity

The main theory is that a benchmark is a static stationary camera and the short 3D Mark demo can easily be run over and over and over through the DLSS super computer pipeline to create a near perfect DLSS profile.

But a game is not to easy, there are millions of variable that affect what the screen can display at any given time and the super computer is not able to get the same data from running the game through it.
    So maybe the image quality gets better over time the more the game passes through the pipeline, maybe Nvidia has stopped and doesn't work on it anymore, maybe it takes too long and to get the same result as a short demo takes months of constantly running game code? Who knows..

Nvidia's statement that DLSS improves or maintains image quality is not technically wrong - it appears it can do so given enough time, but they clearly forgot to mention that in reality games won't achieve this, at least not on release

3. Post
    I was lead to believe dlss is what everyone has been waiting for

4. Post
    So the 1660ti is real expected launch is the 22nd lol

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    It's a bit blurry compared to OFF

That's what you get when you're guessing some of the pixels

That being said - a patch was released sometime yesterday that added a blur slider in the options menu - not sure how much it changes things

The funny thing is it's the total opposite of what was seen in the 3D Mark DLSS bench - where the DLSS image is not blurry at all and is very sharp and provides up to 100% performance gain. What we're seeing in BFV and Metro is 50% performance gain but a degrade in image clarity

The main theory is that a benchmark is a static stationary camera and the short 3D Mark demo can easily be run over and over and over through the DLSS super computer pipeline to create a near perfect DLSS profile.

But a game is not to easy, there are millions of variable that affect what the screen can display at any given time and the super computer is not able to get the same data from running the game through it.
    So maybe the image quality gets better over time the more the game passes through the pipeline, maybe Nvidia has stopped and doesn't work on it anymore, maybe it takes too long and to get the same result as a short demo takes months of constantly running game code? Who knows..

Nvidia's statement that DLSS improves or maintains image quality is not technically wrong - it appears it can do so given enough time, but they clearly forgot to mention that in reality games won't achieve this, at least not on release
    Hmmm to my understanding its similar to the chequerboard rendering that the consoles (xb1x and ps4 pro) use? It wont be useful for me anyway as I run lowish res

6. Post
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ions-answered/

So yeah, DLSS will continue to improve, blurriness is due to the low source resolution.

7. Post
    glock18 wrote:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ions-answered/

So yeah, DLSS will continue to improve, blurriness is due to the low source resolution.
    Right o, it says there they continue to run parts of the game through the DLSS computer after launch - it's similar to what I suspected - the keyword being "cross section of the game" - 3D Port Royal is a nice short little 1-2min test, not a super variable 10hr+ game. It appears they pick and chose bits of the game to run through the DLSS computer to generate the DLSS profile.

So maybe the image quality will improve with future driver updates, only time will tell

Nvidia wrote:
    For Metro Exodus, we’ve got an update coming that improves DLSS sharpness and overall image quality across all resolutions that didn’t make it into day of launch. We’re also training DLSS on a larger cross section of the game, and once these updates are ready you will see another increase in quality
    Last edited by SirGrim; 16th February 2019 at 4:28 pm.

8. Post
    So basically shit in, shit out. I wonder if smaller developers will bother training DLSS to a high standard.

9. Post
    Wait....

So 1060... 2060... 1660....

did they talk to Microsoft about naming schemes or something

10. Post
    shoulda just called it a 2050ti or something

11. Post
    and the wait goes on for better GPU for consumers

12. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    shoulda just called it a 2050ti or something
    Even GTX 2060 would've made more since than 1660 lol

13. Post
    They had to distinguish it from a 2060 and a 1060 but wouldn't a normal non-tech person assume a 1660 was way better than a 1070 or 1080?

14. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    So basically shit in, shit out. I wonder if smaller developers will bother training DLSS to a high standard.
    That’s Nvidias job not the developer - the developer can’t really do that much - maybe tweak their own engine settings but DLSS is handled by the graphics driver

My concern is their “supercomputer” May not be fast enough to generate the outcome we want - if they are only running pieces of game code through the computer it sounds like it’s very resource intensive operation

Regarding small developers and indie type games - these games are less graphically intensive to begin with and may not need DLSS - DLSS in any case only works if the next frame is rendering slow enough for DLSS to fill in the missing pixels so the framerate needs to be low enough to begin with - i.e running ray tracing, but again indie games are far less intensive and even with rayvtracing they may not have any issue reaching good performance

15. Post
    brand wrote:
    They had to distinguish it from a 2060
    I don't see the problem with using the GTX badge - RTX 2060 and GTX 2060 would've made perfect sense imo

16. Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-Ge...0+ti+g1+gaming

Release: 22 February

Rumour says +30% performance over 1060

17. Post
    So its like a 1070

18. Post
    So Nvidia's gaming revenue is down 45% year on year, overall quarterly profit is down 73%, fiscal 2020 revenue expected to be flat or down slightly.

Hows dat RTX reception going lawl.

Source
    Last edited by iRoN; 18th February 2019 at 8:13 pm.

19. Post
    Is this gaming revenue in terms of gaming GPU sales? 45% would make sense given the demise of GPU mining. AMD have probably seen similar drops if not more.

20. Post
    They were massively overstocked because of the mining bubble bursting, and their investors are none to happy about that situation and the weak RTX uptake. So those numbers aren't going to help their confidence.

21. Post
    Re: rtx uptake - priced too high is an issue because for almost the entire period the financials are for the only rtx on the market was high end - the 2060 launched just before the end of the period and they still have nothing at the entry level until the 22nd of Feb when the 1160 and 1160ti launches

So yeah - bursting mining bubble, massive overstock on old models, only launching new models for the high end and enthusiast end and pricing those rather high

22. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Re: rtx uptake - priced too high is an issue
    I liked how hardware unboxed finished a review of the Radeon 7, when comparing it to the RTX 2080 and GTX 1080ti, to paraphrase; "we are paying 2016 prices for ... 2016 performance"

23. Post
    Bullion wrote:
    I liked how hardware unboxed finished a review of the Radeon 7, when comparing it to the RTX 2080 and GTX 1080ti, to paraphrase; "we are paying 2016 prices for ... 2016 performance"
    To be fair to AMD, I don't think the Radeon 7 is supposed to exist. Whether Navi is delayed or actually on track I don't know but right now Navi has not yet launched. AMD saw an opportunity and took it - with the RTX2080 priced so high and 7nm production kicking off, their engineers would have proposed they could build a 2080 competitor at the same price and at least get something to market before Navi - and I don't think this is AMD price coughing, I believe the Radeon 7 is just a really expensive GPU to build

24. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Re: rtx uptake - priced too high is an issue because for almost the entire period the financials are for the only rtx on the market was high end - the 2060 launched just before the end of the period and they still have nothing at the entry level until the 22nd of Feb when the 1160 and 1160ti launches

So yeah - bursting mining bubble, massive overstock on old models, only launching new models for the high end and enthusiast end and pricing those rather high
    Yeah I get that. TBH though I'm not unhappy with the 1k I spent on my 2080 it feels like it's worth it.

25. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    To be fair to AMD, I don't think the Radeon 7 is supposed to exist. Whether Navi is delayed or actually on track I don't know but right now Navi has not yet launched. AMD saw an opportunity and took it - with the RTX2080 priced so high and 7nm production kicking off, their engineers would have proposed they could build a 2080 competitor at the same price and at least get something to market before Navi - and I don't think this is AMD price coughing, I believe the Radeon 7 is just a really expensive GPU to build
    I get that, I made that point 11 days ago.

Just a comment on the price of Radeon 7 and RTX 2080 is what the 1080ti was priced without much improvement in performance. Like when the 1060 came out it performed like a 980 but was priced cheaper than a 980.