Latest CPU & GPU Discussion (Intel/AMD/Nvidia)

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 14,476 to 14,500 of 14533

1. Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer.

2. Post
    Pricespy has 1660Ti's listed, though I don't think any in stock, starting around $550 up to around $650.

Looks like the high end 1660Ti cards overlap with the lower end 1070 cards. RX 590s are around $500. RX 580s around $400. No Vega 56 in stock anywhere so prices are not reliable.

3. Post
    580 still a good value card then. Will have to see where the 1660 lands price wise.

4. Post
    I'm getting 1660ti at around $500 wholesale. Really good price. I may just have to pull the trigger

5. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    I'm getting 1660ti at around $500 wholesale. Really good price. I may just have to pull the trigger
    Mightyape currently has the best deal in New Zealand by some margin

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...s_components_4

Bullion wrote:
    Pricespy has 1660Ti's listed, though I don't think any in stock, starting around $550 up to around $650.

Looks like the high end 1660Ti cards overlap with the lower end 1070 cards. RX 590s are around $500. RX 580s around $400. No Vega 56 in stock anywhere so prices are not reliable.
    You can get the gigabyte oc 1660ti from Mightyape for $479

6. Post
    Jimzy wrote:
    Mightyape currently has the best deal in New Zealand by some margin

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...s_components_4

You can get the gigabyte oc 1660ti from Mightyape for $479
    yeah avg seems to be $550 for the card

7. Post
    wow thats a heck of a deal all things considered.

8. Post
    So im getting tired of hearing my computer take off while gaming. Thinking of just putting it under my desk flat on its side to keep it off the carpet. To at least try and dampen the sound of it taking off. Bad idea?

9. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    So im getting tired of hearing my computer take off while gaming. Thinking of just putting it under my desk flat on its side to keep it off the carpet. To at least try and dampen the sound of it taking off. Bad idea?
    How many case fans? What type of case fans? Have you tried reapplying thermal paste to CPU and GPU? What is your GPU? What is your cooler for your CPU? What sort of case?

I had issues with noise with my system at one point. I had a Bitfenix prodigy ITX case, the case fans weren't bad but my 2nd hand GPU was noisey and the case is setup for air intake for the GPU on the side of the case facing directly towards me. Changed the case which improved noise though I picked up some extra fans with the new case but only had a PWM + molex 4 fan splitter but only 3 pin fans (mobo only has 1 fan header), so case fans ran at full speed until I picked up a fan controller which helped a lot. Also applied new thermal paste to GPU and that helped a little. I did buy some replacement fans for GPU off of Ali Express, right fans but the original fans had a 4pin connector between them with the Ali Express ones a solid connection which meant I couldn't route the cable between the fans properly resulting in the cable hitting the fans.

10. Post
    What is making the noise? Work that out and go from there. Moving the case won't solve a huge amount of the noise problem.

11. Post
    ^ Unless you put the desktop in a wardrobe or another room and route cables through a sound proof conduit in the wall

12. Post
    I've just realised I've got a PC-S80 kicking around. Have recently moved onto my laptop for work so my gamer is just my gamer and is now parked in front of the TV.

Think I'll move it into there, a big, well designed tower will significantly reduce noise. And the S80 has a cool channeling system for airflow that pulls from either side at the back, and dumps it out the back (so I'll need to do some strategic positioning) but it's super quiet as a result.

13. Post
    The Radeon VII effect isn't taken into account on these figures, but as of the end of 2018 Nvidia was shipping 82% of all sold GPU's, up from 66% a year earlier, meaning AMD is losing significant ground in GPU sales as AMD has fallen from selling 34% of all GPU's to just 18% of all GPU's sold

https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/n...ics-card-sales

14. Post
    AMD haven't released anything new in a long time, so it's not all that surprising really. Navi will be sure to bump those numbers back up, since they will have to be competitive with Nvidia in the low - mid end. They'll have to pull something out of the bag. Or just close up shop.

15. Post
    Would be sad for Radeon to die but at this rate it wouldn't be unexpected.

16. Post
    Just have to keep in mind that the market is huge, so even 20% of it is fine. Just look at the CPU market shares. No one will doubt AMD is doing well, even with much less than half the market (currently). Same with server market, they have bugger all, but that is still financially lucrative.

17. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Just have to keep in mind that the market is huge, so even 20% of it is fine. Just look at the CPU market shares. No one will doubt AMD is doing well, even with much less than half the market (currently). Same with server market, they have bugger all, but that is still financially lucrative.
    18% is still plenty, but it's the trend thats worrying - AMD has lost almost half of it's GPU sales in 1 year.
    I do hope Navi reverses this trend - we can't have only 1 discrete GPU maker, the prices are ridiculous as is already.
    Intel can't come soon enough! If all goes well, maybe we'll 3 brands to choose from when buying a gaming GPU in 2021
    Last edited by SirGrim; 14th March 2019 at 5:59 pm.

18. Post

19. Post
    If the RX590 wasn't dead already, now it's grave has just been filled.

Not only faster but the efficiency difference is almost mind boggling

GTX1660 is not only faster than the GTX1060 but uses less power too, no mean feat at 12nm finfet!
    At a around 105w power draw it really does a number on something like the 590 that draws 250w and also at 12nm

20. Post
    Yep its a nice card. Goes to show Polaris is really not great beyond sorta RX 580 spec. Power efficiences lost so quickly when pushed.

kinda makes you understand why they abandoned a "big" polaris for the high end.

21. Post
    Comparing wildly different tech. 1060 is what, 2-3 years old now? Lower power with better performance is what we should be getting. The whole rx500 line up is just reused tech, with both camps love to do. Process shrink helped a little, but they still had to push it hard to get results.

Navi and Turing should be a good battle.

This reminds me of what the RX590 potentially is now.
    NVIDIA Fermi GF100 GPUs - Too little, too late, too hot, and too expensive
    The result of having no money for development I guess. Most ignore that though and just think they want to produce average products.

22. Post
    AMD have always been big on the power draw though haven't they (and the heat that goes with it)? What's so different about their architecture(s) that causes this?

23. Post
    There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with the architectures - they're just being pushed harder than their power efficiency curves would recommend in order to provide palatable performance levels - a compromise the competition doesn't have to make because they can throw significantly more money at each generations R&D.

24. Post
    That ^^.

This is an interesting development

25. Post
    For some years (GCN) they were power hungry simply because they were more capable.
    Games often didn't take advantage of the potential, so nvidia traded blows using chips with far lower production overhead. Those cards aged especially poorly but nobody cares.

Low costs -> Massive profits -> R&D -> everything 10xx onwards is remarkably successful design