Latest CPU & GPU Discussion (Intel/AMD/Nvidia)

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 10,651 to 10,675 of 10682

1. Post
    I think you would expect to see a difference between different reviewers that means you can't compare between the two, but everything else should be done on an open bench or at least using the same equipment each time. But yeah, GamersNexus are probably the only site where they understand what a variable is. I mean, it doesn't matter unless everyone is using the same stuff under the same conditions. What really matters is that between your own tests everything is the same, or you account for differences like ambient temps by using delta instead of absolute temperatures.

Case in point. It's weird that the Corsair H110i GT reviewed in early 2015 is still top of the Guru3D tests now. That's not the same Corsair H110i GT they're selling now - that 2015 model is the Gen3 pump and the ones they sell now are the Gen5 pumps. So the NZXT Kraken X62, which was reviewed in Jan 2017, is the same 280mm Asetek rad but is using the Gen5 pump, and it's scoring 6c worse than the H110i GT they reviewed two years before with the Gen3 pump.

And that makes no sense. Because most reviews put the NZXT fans at the top of all the Asetek OEMs. So either something is wrong with the Guru3D tests ("roughly 21c" ambient, for one thing) or the Gen5 pump is a regression in performance terms. But that doesn't make any sense either, because very much once you get liquid moving in any liquid cooling system the only important thing is that it's moving. Aside from internal restriction affecting flow rates, you don't see any tradeoff from increasing pump speed. That's why the DDC and D5 in custom loops can run at quarter to half capacity in most loops for complete silence.

GN is often the only one that points out that all these Asetek units are the same and it just comes down to aesthetics, by the way.

2. Post
    B350 for AMD is good enough. Just check on VRM quality. Intel I think you're stuck with the high end boards only.

brand wrote:
    Are there any recommended motherboards for AM4 / 1151-2?

Nothing too OTT just something that will allow a decent OC.

3. Post
    I don't believe the B350 gives you enough vcore power phases to achieve anything stable with longevity. And the components they use are of lesser quality and offer a less consistent power delivery.

That's not just the B350 though, I'd also throw the cheaper X370 in there too. Pushing power through 3 or 4 phases when AMD recommend you start overclocking at 1.35v and up to 1.425v results in some serious VRM temperatures even on the flagship X370 boards. They are power efficient chips but when you're overclocking they produce some serious heat. I've been through the X370 Taichi, Crosshair VI and the Gaming K7. And the lack of vcore phases on the K7 really hits VRM temperatures - 6 on this one compared to the 10 on the Crosshair and the 12 on the Taichi. They're a lot higher, but still under 80c at the higher voltages I've run (up to 1.5v for brief periods).

You look at results on OCN, Gigabyte forums, Asus forums, you see guys with B350 boards who have VRM temperatures at over 110c, pushing 120c. Super hot. Even with heatsinks, they're having to stick extra fans and make ducts to cool them. And that's a combination of fewer power phases generating more heat and terrible heatsinks with low quality thermal pads. And yeah, most of these chips are good to 125c but that 110c is sitting on your board, inside your case, about 3cm from your CPU. And it's going to increase that temperature.

And the other problem is that the better X370s are more likely to support faster RAM, which makes a real difference with Ryzen. The B350s are hitting hard limits - not all of them but more than the X370 - while I'm getting 3600Mhz from 3466Mhz. As an example.

If I was buying again I'd definitely be looking for another X370 Taichi. But depending on budget I'd start with the ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X, avoid the Gigabyte Gaming K3, definitely look at the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon or Krait Gaming (8 vcore, 2 SOC), and the Gigabyte Gaming 5 (same VRMs as the K7, 6 vcore, 4 SOC, fewer features than the K7, much cheaper). But if you look at the Gaming 5, remember it's not the K5 Gaming - they're different boards. And any Gigabyte board, you'd do well to get Ket's custom BIOS, because Gigabyte have taken the weird step of locking off features in the BIOS from users. The Ket BIOS unlocks the features like custom P states.

But I don't think the Gigabyte Gaming 5 is value for money, to be honest. Over $300 now. And after that point you probably don't want to spend the money for diminishing returns when you can get what you need $100+ dollars cheaper.

4. Post
    +1 to the Taichi. I run the Asus Hero board and its overkill.

I think there are good B350 boards out there though. Motherboards don't seem to be the limiting factor in OC's but CPU Silicon.

5. Post
    Just for the record, the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra on the z370 has the same super hot vrm issues. Wish I'd known that before buying, crappy reviewers not doing their job again. Gigabyte's reply to all of these issues is "so what, it is still within spec" which is shoddy imo. Technically a CPU at 95c is within spec also, doesn't mean you want that crap running at those temps a lot of the time.

6. Post
    glad I went with asus z370, have had a gigabyte board before but overall found the asus boards performed better for me

7. Post
    does anyone have any reference to the GTX1060 promotion that Mightyape had a couple months ago = it was for i think $20 steam credit by redemtion with Nvidia for any GTX1060 purchased

I submitted the photo of the GPU with serial and invoice on the nvidia site, but they have no record of it and say they never had a steam credit promotion...... im either bat shit crazy and wrong, or they did have this promo....

8. Post
    forum_lurker wrote:
    does anyone have any reference to the GTX1060 promotion that Mightyape had a couple months ago = it was for i think $20 steam credit by redemtion with Nvidia for any GTX1060 purchased

I submitted the photo of the GPU with serial and invoice on the nvidia site, but they have no record of it and say they never had a steam credit promotion...... im either bat shit crazy and wrong, or they did have this promo....
    I've done this on the Nvidia site before for other promotions and never had a reply :/

9. Post
    Loads of VRM phases don't always mean better overclocking it depends what the VRMs actually are.
    Most b350 boards are fine to overclock 6 core ryzen CPUs

10. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    I've done this on the Nvidia site before for other promotions and never had a reply :/
    Ya im sure it was one done by a few retailers. Nvidia are telling me they didnt run it..... i cant find the link for it any more as i followed a direct link from mighty ape, i think i even saw it on computer lounge

11. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    Loads of VRM phases don't always mean better overclocking it depends what the VRMs actually are.
    Most b350 boards are fine to overclock 6 core ryzen CPUs
    All the ones I threw out there do use the top end stuff though. The bigger issue is that some of them don't have heatsinks or don't have adequate ones. Because clearly you can squeeze enough power for high overclocks on an eight core chip through six, because that's what I have on the K7. But they get real hot.

12. Post
    forum_lurker wrote:

Talk to mighty ape about it?

13. Post

14. Post
    110 TeraFLOPS... So it will be about 5 grand here.

15. Post
    The teraflop number is not quite accurate me thinks not for gaming anyway -yes ok so single precision teraflop is 14tflop which is about in line with the leaks up to 30% boost over the 1080ti on the full fat chip

16. Post
    What's that compared to a 1080ti?

17. Post
    The 1080ti is 11.3tflop, the actual increase is 23% but the leaks have been saying up to 30% boost in games expected comparing full fat pascal to full fat volta

18. Post
    Well it is focused around AI and scientific simulation processing, not gaming. It is said to have up to 9x the deep-learning performance of its predecessor.

19. Post
    nvidia is beasting it..

20. Post
    nvidia said the previous titan was for gaming then it wasn't then it was. Same thing will happen here. its not for gaming now but when their gpu sales slow suddenly oh its for gaming. $50 discount and a copy of desitny 2!

21. Post
    It is never going to drop enough from its 3k USD price tag to be a viable gaming card against whatever their current flagship gaming card is at the time.
    Last edited by HELL KNIGHT; 8th December 2017 at 9:22 pm. Reason: typo

22. Post
    I should be interesting to see the performance of the GPU in gaming as this is volta even if this card is stupid for gaming cost wise. I wonder how well it will scale in terms of power consumption to the smaller chips? Anyone see what process node its using?

23. Post
    12nm

24. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    It is never going to drop enough from its 3k USD price tag to be a viable gaming card against whatever their current flagship gaming card is at the time.
    Someone will buy it cause sli is going nowhere, too rich for my blood 1.5k for a 1080ti was a lot already most I’ve ever spent on a single component for a PCs day double the price of my last graphics card

25. Post
    I would buy a second 1080 Ti though. I mean, I had two for a week and ran them together and now every time I play GTA V at anything that isn't 4k, everything at max and getting at least 100fps I feel massively disappointed. No extended draw distance for YOU.

I heard support was bad but I play a lot of games and couldn't find any one that wasn't significantly better than a single card. It looked like in raw benchmarks that it scaled WAY better than dual 1080s too.