GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 14,876 to 14,900 of 15484

1. Post
    Next Monday.

2. Post
    RTX Super cards launch

The 2070 Super is the most interesting - competing with the 1080ti and Radeon 7 and yet the price has been kept at $499

Reviews are out too

Also, Nvidia announced the first of it's next gen GPU news - that Nvidia will launch new GPUs in 2020 built by Samsung on their 7nm+ EUV process node

Last edited by SirGrim; 3rd July 2019 at 9:51 am.

3. Post
    yup , NVIDIA really does not want to give AMD an even break. They can continue to pimp slap them on performance and pricing . And they already have their next gen in the works , am glad they are staying on their toes ( tho it will mean we wont get any real competitive pricing in the super high end )
    Last edited by Bloody; 3rd July 2019 at 10:01 am. Reason: additional

4. Post
    Well given the price, performance and feature set of the Supers.
    It seems AMD has no choice but to drop its launch prices for Navi 5700 and 5700xt

And that’s a good thing for consumers

5. Post
    Well really we can thank AMD for making this happen... what would we do without them to at least *slightly* keep Nvidia in check.

Here's hoping Intel don't f up their GPU launch.

6. Post
    2070 super looks pretty good, seems to be consistently a smidge ahead of a 1080ti (what the 2070 should have been at launch...)

I like the techpower up comparison graphs which make it nice and easy for broad overview

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/n...-super/27.html

2060 one here

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/n...tx-2060-super/

7. Post
    hehe

8. Post
    lol @ cat was like wtf

yeah seems early adopters got screwed hahaha
    i bet the 2080 super is coming out in about 3 months time or so just before Xmas to Rack some of those xmas cash in

9. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    lol @ cat was like wtf

yeah seems early adopters got screwed hahaha
    i bet the 2080 super is coming out in about 3 months time or so just before Xmas to Rack some of those xmas cash in
    2080 super is out this month also

10. Post
    Crikey, at this rate i'll have to buy a Nvidia GPU. Sort your shit out AMD.

11. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Crikey, at this rate i'll have to buy a Nvidia GPU. Sort your shit out AMD.
    It's hard to imagine Nvidia went from bad value to actually good value for money on some products within the space of 1 generation

2070 Super is the same RRP as the 2070: https://pricespy.co.nz/search?search...st_price%3Aasc

Compared to the 1080ti or Radeon 7, the 2070 Super does look like good value - The cheapest 1080ti I could find on Tards is $950 (secondhand): https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...d7d2247677-003

And cheapest Radeon VII sets you back over $1200: https://pricespy.co.nz/search?search...st_price%3Aasc

12. Post
    the 2060 super and 2070 super look to really hit the mark. Well done Nv

13. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    It's hard to imagine Nvidia went from bad value to actually good value for money on some products within the space of 1 generation
    Competition pretty much. If there wasn't any, SUPER models would not exist. Nvidia are a lot more proactive against competition than Intel it seems. A bit like the 2070Ti being born out of competition.

14. Post
    yup, without someone pushing their profit margin they would been content to just keeping gouging at maximum profit with minimal development . ( kinda like INTEL !!! )

15. Post
    Looking at the 2080 super page - are they really claiming a 40% increase over the 1080ti/2080 in Wolfenstein 2? Wouldn't that put it within striking distance of the 2080ti? Internal graphs are BS I know, but it kinda looks like they're cannibalising their own product range here.

16. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    hehe
    Name:  Coaster.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  134.2 KB

17. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Looking at the 2080 super page - are they really claiming a 40% increase over the 1080ti/2080 in Wolfenstein 2? Wouldn't that put it within striking distance of the 2080ti? Internal graphs are BS I know, but it kinda looks like they're cannibalising their own product range here.
    Max Settings, 1440p, i9-7900X, 16GB, Win 10. Shadow of the Tomb Raider with RT = Ultra; RTX 2080 SUPER with RT + DLSS
    Looks like they have RT on with the 1080ti and 1080 so not a super valid comparison tbh

18. Smile
    This may have already been mentioned but,

What's the point of the 9th gen Intel CPU's?

My CPU is an I5 8500 and the 9th gen versions don't look faster, They just look like they had minor tweaks and re-released, Or is the difference in the motherboards?

I don't really get it.

19. Post
    It's only worth it if you are upgrading to more cores from what you currently have at the 8th gen. For instance if you had a 4 core 8 gen, you'd only get an upgrade moving to one of the 6 or 8 cores.

That being said, Ryzen 2 is out in less than week and almost certainly will be better value, although it will cost more for you as you need a new motherboard

20. Post
    Not much to get, as you say incremental IPC gains. Core count has increased over time.

9th gen don't work on 8th gen boards do they? Hard to keep track.

21. Smile
    Yeah I'm not looking to upgrade but core speeds didn't look much different and i just wondered why Intel bothered.

I checked a benchmark site and people are getting 3-4% speed increases (like going from a 8400 to a 9400).

Also i know there's been some security issues and wondered if that's another reason for the release.

I haven't been looking but was this the same with the 6 and 7 gen too? (the 3-4% increase sort of thing)

22. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Not much to get, as you say incremental IPC gains. Core count has increased over time.

9th gen don't work on 8th gen boards do they? Hard to keep track.
    8th gen boards (z370) received BIOS updated to run 9th gen chips
    Last edited by SirGrim; 3rd July 2019 at 8:48 pm.

23. Smile
    SirGrim wrote:
    8th gen boards received BIOS updated to run 9th gen chips
    I didn't know that.

I think i see a bit of a pattern with Intel though, 3rd and 4th gen were similar, like 6 & 7 and now 8 & 9

My dad suggested that next they might come up with is a new name just to screw more money out of us.

On another note i saw the RTX version of quake 2 on steam and the ray tracing really made the game look better.
    Earlier some people wondered if ray tracing would kick off, I'm starting to think it will after seeing the screenshots.

I mean, Hell yes.. improve some of my old favorite games.

24. Post
    Guess I should upgrade my i5 3570K at some point

25. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    Looks like they have RT on with the 1080ti and 1080 so not a super valid comparison tbh
    Only on Shadow of the Tomb Raider though, I think. Don't think Wolfenstein 2 supports RTX?