GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 14,951 to 14,975 of 15484

1. Post
    Hes right tho, the vast majority of users are still on 1080p, using steam survey over 60 % still on 1080 , about 4 % on 1440p and a small 1% on 4k.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsur...lcome-to-Steam

By that ,most users have not required an upgrade since.. i dunno post 970 days? I am not sure we can attribute this to FOMO whales like Lootbox purchasing in online FIFA tho i am sure some here spend more than the rest combined, more like a general foolishness by consumer base constantly bombarded by marketing and unable to resist that over priced and more importantly, unnecessary upgrade.

2. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    more like a general foolishness by consumer base constantly bombarded by marketing and unable to resist that over priced and more importantly, unnecessary upgrade.
    As long as I know what I am, am I still a fool?

3. Smile
    Bloody wrote:
    more like a general foolishness by consumer base constantly bombarded by marketing and unable to resist that over priced and more importantly, unnecessary upgrade.
    100% agree there.

If games start to be released that i want and my machines can't play them then that's a good time to upgrade (for me anyway), Just because it's new and shiny doesn't mean your old gear is prehistoric.

4. Post
    Unnecessary depending on point of view and what you play and what your definition of "can't play them" is.

5. Post
    Yeah, RTX on, everything on ultra, minimum 100fps @ 3440x1440 for me or gtfo.

6. Post
    OK. So looking at a new mobo/RAM/CPU combo. As far as boards go if I want to jump on the AMD hype train - is this a good pick: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/shop...ng-motherboard

7. Post
    obv that's unnecessary and you should be playing in 640x480 and 15fps

8. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Yeah, RTX on, everything on ultra, minimum 100fps @ 3440x1440 for me or gtfo.
    Silly requirements that only serve to inflate your e-penis. No one needs to play on Ultra.

People are quick to forget that Ultra was invented to future proof games, it was meant for future hardware and yet now days it's Ultra or nothing mindset in every new game

9. Smile
    SirGrim wrote:
    Silly requirements that only serve to inflate your e-penis. No one needs to play on Ultra.

People are quick to forget that Ultra was invented to future proof games, it was meant for future hardware and yet now days it's Ultra or nothing mindset in every new game
    That future proofing didn't always work though,

Company of heroes 1 & 2 has ultra settings but i swear that choosing them will make the games unstable and more likely to crash.

I had COH 1 on ultra and it crashed heaps, When i turned the settings down it was fixed, My hardware should have easily been able to run it but it doesn't work out that way.

And i mean, If you have the money and gear, Why not enjoy the eye candy?

Me i don't have the money.

10. Post
    I've been trying to remember what games etc. prompted my upgrades. I definitely remember upgrading to a Radeon 7850 to play Mass Effect 3.

11. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    And i mean, If you have the money and gear, Why not enjoy the eye candy?
    I come across as grumpy, it's more my annoyance with the industry in general and if someone says "ultra or gtfo" it just propagates the misleading information out there.

Here is an example that annoys me: When you have the whole industry only using Ultra for testing, people get the impression that Ultra is how you play PC games, they may as well get rid of the settings menus. And console owners think they need to spend more money to play PC games than they actually need to.

So maybe I'm interested in buying Assassins Creed Odyssey, so I look to see if my PC is capable - and what I see is that no GPU can do 4k 60fps and many other GPU's struggle at 1440p (apparently) because everyone tests Ultra. Eventually I buy the game and after self testing I find that changing Volumetric Clouds from Ultra to High boosts performance by 40%! Yes that's right, changing 1 single settings gives you 40% more performance, then I actually found Assassins Creed Odyssey is actually very easy to run at 60fps, so why the hell do people complain - who needs Ultra clouds, I can't even tell the difference

12. Post
    SirGrim wrote:

You went from a 1080Ti to a 2080Ti because you couldn't run a couple of games at 4k on ultra...

13. Post
    Hahaha ^ and I bet he still doesn't play his games.

14. Post
    lol i was taking the piss

I keep dropping the settings till I hit the monitors max refresh like most people.

15. Post
    pyronical wrote:

I keep dropping the settings till I hit the monitors max refresh like most people.
    I'm sorry Pyro

Just noticed you have the first post for this thread, you've got to be one of the longest mods around

16. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:

You went from a 1080Ti to a 2080Ti because you couldn't run a couple of games at 4k on ultra...
    That was ~$1500 (after selling 1080Ti) well spent 4k ultra was the sole reason to get a 2080Ti. Because there was certainly no point buying one for RTX, unless you like slideshow games. I'd be happy with 1080Ti level performance.

Happy to just sit and wait till 1080Ti+ performance is priced at the mid range ~$700 mark.

17. Post
    pyronical wrote:

I keep settings as high as possible to maintain 60fps. Any fps over that is gravy.

18. Post
    Name:  1529873321074.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  72.8 KB

19. Post
    Nightmares tonight.

20. Post
    Hahahahah. That would be the death of us all. No one to keep Nvidia honest.

So what you really trying to say is staying one the leading edge is just burning money cause who really uses it.
    Hard thing is once you at that level you try to stay relevant and donít want your prescious tech to fall in value. So paying $1000 for a card and then having that value fall to say $600 is painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Post
    I wonder what family gatherings are like when Ms AMD and Uncle Nvidia are in the same room.

22. Post
    VOID_NZ wrote:
    Hahahahah. That would be the death of us all. No one to keep Nvidia honest.

So what you really trying to say is staying one the leading edge is just burning money cause who really uses it.
    Hard thing is once you at that level you try to stay relevant and don’t want your prescious tech to fall in value. So paying $1000 for a card and then having that value fall to say $600 is painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depreciation. The mother of all bitches

23. Post

- - - Updated - - -

And competition FTW!

Reports out they AMD has dropped the Navi price ahead of launch https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...x_5700_series/

New apparent pricing is $399usd to 5700xt and $349usd for the 5700
    Last edited by SirGrim; 5th July 2019 at 10:33 pm.

24. Post
    German tech website PCGH accidentally posts its 3700x and 3900x reviews

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...m_pcgh_german/

I haven’t had time to fully examine the charts but they look good for sure. 3700x and 3900x is beating the 2600x and 2700x by 20 to 30% in games respectively. They also beat the 9900k in some games, like Assassins Creed Odyssey where AMD is now the fastest with the 3900x.

One little tidbit Reddit users picked up on was the TDP - it seems AMD has perhaps copied Intels approach to TDP publication. Good news for all the aftermarket air and liquid coolers
    Last edited by SirGrim; 6th July 2019 at 8:13 am.

25. Post
    AMD TDP is based off base clock isn't it? Still not bad when the 3900x with 50% more cores uses less power than the 9900k.

Still waiting on better reviews here. Any review not running the Zen 2 stuff with fast memory is a waste of time IMO. I think in that review, AMD has more to gain from memory speed boost than the Intel chip would.