GP discusses the latest CPUs & GPUs

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 14,351 to 14,375 of 15485

1. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Don't know why everyone seems to think Ray Tracing is some new technology that only RTX can do
    It's been around for donkeys years - every Disney movie has ray tracing going back years and years
    Pre-rendered Ray Tracing done on a rendering farm, versus real-time, hardly the same thing.

2. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Pre-rendered Ray Tracing done on a server farm, versus real-time, hardly the same thing.
    Being sarcastic here because of the Gwarden post

3. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    To be fair the Ray Tracing that Fermi from your link is not intended for real time gaming or videos but rather still image creation

m8 it sez so right here

Thanks to Fermiís advanced compute architecture, GeForce GTX 400/500 GPUs are able to perform raytracing in realtime, at up to 15 frames per second.

4. Post
    Are they comparing apples with apples e.g. comparing Non-RTX ray tracing on the 2000 series vs the 1000 series?

5. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    Thanks, That's basically what i wanted to know.
    Frag is just salty at nvidia - the 2080ti is a fine card, it significantly outperforms the 1080ti (30%+ better) even if you ignore DLSS/ray tracing. it's just expensive (but so is AMD these days - welcome to the new norm).

6. Smile
    sorceror wrote:
    Frag is just salty at nvidia - the 2080ti is a fine card, it significantly outperforms the 1080ti (30%+ better) even if you ignore DLSS/ray tracing. it's just expensive (but so is AMD these days - welcome to the new norm).
    I like the question brand asked..

Brand wrote:
    Where is the mainstream bang for buck GPU?
    But yeah i kind of wonder more for the RTX2060, I mean not everyone has $1000 to spend of a video card,
    I think the RTX2060 goes for about $700 but even that's a bit much for a poor boy like me.

7. Post
    i think the bang for buck GPU has been left behind in the 1080p world for now

8. Post
    The mainstream bang for buck is the Vega 56/Vega 64, GTX 1070, 1070Ti, 1080 and 1080Ti (second hand)

9. Smile
    sorceror wrote:
    i think the bang for buck GPU has been left behind in the 1080p world for now
    My entire computer room is 1080p.

I'd ask about 4k but i think i need to ask elsewhere, Mainly i have a 23inch monitor and if i got something the same/similar size in 4k wouldn't that make everything on the screen smaller?

I have enough problems reading 1080p, And in games does it really look that great?
    I mean my games look fine!.

10. Post
    The smallest 4k monitors aren't that small. I found the sweet spot for 4k at 100% scaling was 43", even on my other 40" I had to turn it up to 125% to be comfortable reading it from ~1m away.

If you want to upgrade from 1080p without breaking the bank 1440p would be the way to go. Even then it still isn't cheap upgrade.

11. Post
    here is a 21.5" 4k monitor - https://www.apple.com/nz/shop/produc...ine-4k-display

not very usable for the majority of people but the colours on it are amazing - easily best i've seen on a monitor.

12. Post
    Okay, you're not going to get a cheap or very usable 4k monitor that small. Trust Apple to make something that small and expensive though. And here was me thinking 28" 4k monitors were too small (in before Privoxy defends them).

13. Smile
    Haha nice.

I don't really know why so many want such big monitors tbh, I had a 46inch TV @ 1080p which really could have used 4k, But my latest TV seems to have a good picture and is 43inch @ 1080p.

To use as a monitor seems a little strange unless you're watching movies or having people around you watch you play.

I think the RTX2080 is better bang for buck though (than the GTX1080), Sounds like no downsides and if it's a similar price like sorceror said then i don't see why not.

I mean it's the latest and just as good - if not better.

Actually also even second hand, You need the price to be 40% cheaper than a RTX2080 for it to really start to become a good deal if the RTX2080 is 30% faster in some situations. (i haven't looked at those prices, It's 100% out of my reach)

14. Post
    43" at 4k means I can have 4 good sized 1080p screens up at once for productivity. Its main use is work, 4k gaming is just a bonus. I have an Ultrawide monitor as well.

I don't tend to watch TV and movies on it either, as it is small to me. I've had a 60" TV and 120" HT projector setup for the last 9 years that take care of that. Plus I've added a couple of VR headsets recently that are good for watching media on a simulated huge screen also.

Sorceror was referring to the 2080Ti by the way, which is stupid expensive, the 2080 is the equivalent of the 1080Ti with the addition of the RTX tech.

15. Wink
    You know with TV's and projectors that big i wish i could go to your place to watch movies,
    I know this has gone off track to what the thread is supposed to be about but i hope you have comfy chairs and stuff with those screens.

Anyway thanks everyone, This has been very interesting.

16. Post
    brand wrote:
    Are they comparing apples with apples e.g. comparing Non-RTX ray tracing on the 2000 series vs the 1000 series?
    This.

As far as I'm aware Nvidia has only made RTX performance numbers available, not the raw DX12 Ray Tracing performance possible by Turing.

As I previously said (someone feel free to update me with correct info) as Pascal does not have RTX support, turning Ray tracing on in games (via the only current implementation of Ray tracing - Nvidia RTX) is not possible with Pascal, therefore it's RTX performance is nil.

sorceror wrote:
    You're both right tbh.

The most important part to me is the fact that there's still zero games that I play currently or plan to purchase that has RTX support now/upcoming.

At this stage I have no reason to believe that the next gen of GPUs won't arrive before a decent amount of games I actually want to play have good RTX support, so for me PERSONALLY there's no value at all in Turing, and based on demand being low by Nvidia's own admission I guess I'm not alone.
    Last edited by iRoN; 11th February 2019 at 8:05 pm.

17. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    i hope you have comfy chairs and stuff with those screens.
    I do, I have a nice leather chaise lounge suite, so I can lie down to watch the TV/projector. The 43" monitor is mounted on a cantilevered wall arm that can be used sitting in my office chair or standing, I also have the matching keyboard arm that can also be used in both positions, so no need for a desk.

Though in saying that, I do have a standing treadmill desk next to it with my 40" 4k monitor on it. Very unconventional setup, you could say

18. Post
    For anyone else looking to get a Radeon VII while on computer lounges website it says "instock at supplier" its actually not and stock is not due till March

19. Post
    ^that sucks, hopefully they didn't take the money first then tell you that

20. Post
    Can't say I am surprised given the very limited quantity of them worldwide.

21. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    ^that sucks, hopefully they didn't take the money first then tell you that
    Unfortunately they did

22. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    For anyone else looking to get a Radeon VII while on computer lounges website it says "instock at supplier" its actually not and stock is not due till March
    Just cancel then

23. Post
    Kog wrote:
    Just cancel then
    Why would I want to do that?

24. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    Which game are you cherry picking to get 30%+? Hardware Unboxed over 35 games put the gain at 23%. Which is alright, but nothing to write home about when you're paying such a big increase to get that performance. Anyone not "salty" at Nvidia's extreme pricing is obviously just happy to be ripped off. Which is fair enough too. Myself though, I game at 1080P UW, so I don't need top end gear. I also think the AMD option of Radeon 7 is shit too. Does that make me salty at AMD too? It probably does. I think it's pretty fair to be salty at the current state of the GPU market. 2c etc.

25. Post
    Link to bhardware unboxed?

Did they test some obscure old ass games or something stupid?

Decided to try some far cry 5 dlc, noticed 4K Ultra has jumped from 51fps to 83fps
    Used to play the game on high with 90% scaling to get 60fps - the same settings now gets 103fps

Laughs in 23% average