Page 2 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

1. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    Macs in classrooms ftw
    **** off, child abuse is illegal you sadistic ****!!

(attacky_fire is a Mancubus alt )

2. Post
    Just like to say A big thanks to all the people who have offered help. I think I have it sorted now and am really stoaked, am having a chat with a few people and looks like ill be able to swing some computers for the class....

So cheers heaps

3. Post
    Good People Forums.

4. Post
    This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'd donate something but my laptop is all I have and even then it's got a broken screen hinge. Merry Xmas anyway though!

5. Post
    Would donate if OP was closer to home.

6. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    Mancs in classrooms ftw

7. Post
    I've got a bunch of _almost_ working PCs. If you're in Auckland, PM me br4 :V

Edit: just accidentally the whole thread... GP

8. Post
    GP playing santa clause for the kids.
    Whats the world coming to or has it ended?

9. Post
    I'm amazed the Ministry hasn't provided computers, every school I know of has been capable of securing funding for multiple new machines.

Go give your principal or board of trustees a ****ing uppercut.

10. Post
    OPs looking at getting them from TheDeuce but needs them couriered from Nelson, I'll donate for courier anyone else keen to help, just a few dollars each will get them there.......and its xmas....

11. Post
    bradc wrote:
    I'm amazed the Ministry hasn't provided computers, every school I know of has been capable of securing funding for multiple new machines.

Go give your principal or board of trustees a ****ing uppercut.
    This doesnt always happen, we missed funding for IT for 2 years, and my sons primary school have to do their own fundraising for IT equipment

12. Post
    I've seen that too but only in higher decile schools.

13. Post
    Beefholio wrote:
    OPs looking at getting them from TheDeuce but needs them couriered from Nelson, I'll donate for courier anyone else keen to help, just a few dollars each will get them there.......and its xmas....
    I could offer the same but from Blenheim, inter island couriering of PCs is a killer.

14. Post
    Good to see GPOD

I just gave 8 ex work laptops to my kids school. Hopefully sorted out their shortfall for a while. People who have access to business upgrade machines should do this all the time I reckon.

15. Post
    I'm willing to donate towards the courier costs

16. Post
    Can throw $10 towards shipping.

17. Post
    Im not a hundred percent sure how the IT allowance works through the ministry, just that every class has two computers-and theres no hope we'll get more. We do have a couple of Ipads shared around the school, and a set of laptops that can be booked but must be returned at the end of the day (Im not able to use these daily). We also have a computer pod in the library. However, my children are too young to visit this independently, and for an integrated program nothing beats having the computers in the classroom. For example, during daily reading I can have a group working with me, a group practicing skills using educational sites, a group doing a literacy activity. The same for maths. This is something I cant setup with just two comps, or visiting the library, or by sharing laptops.

I didnt mean to paint a picture of a struggling school...just that with the opportunity to have more computers I could teach more effectively. Its also amazing how engaged the kids are using computers.

I have been offered a few computers by Beefholio, 5 HP d530 machines with 17" CRTs and keyboards and mice.

The Deuce has said he may have a couple of dual-core intel with 2GB RAM and 19" LCD monitors. (these sound perfect)

cencsor has also made an offer to help.

So yeah, looking good at the mo, just checking courier costs (Which im happy to pay-so dont worry about that) and im lucky enough to have a bit of choice so can see which comps have the best specs etc.

18. Post
    bradc wrote:
    I've seen that too but only in higher decile schools.
    Yup, I think they get less funding in certain areas as they have access to more community funds-or maybe they're just fundraising to get better gear, like Macs instead of pcs. Some of the Auckland schools make a ridiculous amount of money from fundraising. Usually as they are in more affluent areas the schools seem to have access very good professional parent support (eg. professionals like accountants, lawyers on the board, PTA) who do a great job organising things. Where as the lower decile schools (from what Ive seen) dont really have this imput.

My school has a fantastic community, they really get behind events and do their best to support our school, and we have a very close relationship with two of the local maraes (The local iwi gifted us the land our school is on, our schools 85 percent Maori or something). My schools in Maungatapu, Tauranga. Which is a poor area with some very nice beach front properties, the nicer area pushes our decile rating up enough that we dont receive funding the very low decile schools get. All schools have children that unfortunately have families that are not as well off as others, its just sad to see. We provide lunches and morning teas for students who come to school with nothing. I have a lot of children who sleep in the lounge, on the couch, cause they dont have a room / bed.

Anyway, thanks for all the support. I really do appreciate it.

like I said, ill cover the courier costs (I dont think it'll be more than $100), I would feel weird taking money for that...but thanks heaps.

19. Post
    Equity wrote:
    Yes I have asked on those forums, just now, on3 - same post. But as I have been on here a lot I thought id try as well.

Yes, I am ICONZ / ON3 Equity, Ex CSS admin etc.

Im not after 5-6 computers, that would be too many for my room haha. I ideally want 2 more, and if i was lucky enough to get any more I was going to give them to other teachers.

I dont really have much in the way of proof, just pics of my kids which I dont want to put up, and my license.

I am in Tauranga I have googled those types of organisations, but yeah. My reason for asking on here is that people upgrade VERY quickly, and often hoard stuff. I know that I used to before I moved house! So I just thought people would have stuff lying around that they would be happy to part with
    If you can do an Auckland pikcup run, I can try asking one of the technical engineers at one of our sites. We replaced about 20+ computers this year on that site alone and they were running out of storage space.

I'll email the guy and get back to you.. maybe you can email an actual proposal to him when/if he accepts.

20. Post
    I don't have any spare 'puters, and I'm super broke, but I can donate my time to deliver them. It'd cost about $80 in gas for me to do the round trip, so if we can sort out that I'll totally play delivery boy.

21. Post
    Equity: PM you.

22. Post
    You Guys are awesome...GPODFTW

23. Post
    I'll chuck $10-15 in for courier/GaR's fuel if needed.

24. Post
    Khann wrote:

25. Post
    Khann wrote:

Page 2 of 8 First 12345 ... Last