Gaming General Discussion Thread

Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.64 average.
(22 votes)
Results 5,326 to 5,350 of 6897

1. Post
    And exactly what media are you watching that's been mastered for 4k HDR? It's all just image processing, smoke and mirrors. I also didn't mention anything about HD1080, 55"+ is about the minimum you'd need to be at to get any difference out of proper 4k, so there is that in your favour.

If you're the kind of person that likes the sound of beats headphones, then I can understand where you're coming from, and more power to ya though.
    Last edited by Feliz; 12th July 2017 at 5:31 pm.

2. Post
    Ok...if you played CS:G0 in the last 5 years, jump on and sell the shit in your inventory. I have just started playing after a 4 year break and have made $78 selling gear / boxes from years ago. Its insane.

The steam community store is a pain in the ass to sell stuff on - but $80, why not!

3. Post

4. Post
    SoAndSo wrote:
    I watch a 55KS8000 everyday and I watch 4k hdr stuff. There is a MASSIVE difference between 4k hdr and 1080p non hdr.
    I'll have what this guy's having.

aka

+1 on the above, I'm a belieber with my KS8000 55" also.

5. Post
    Feliz wrote:
    Neither. I work with HDR monitors and media every day, and most things I've seen recently grossly misrepresent it, because it is the replacement for 3D in the "stuff you don't really need, but we've got to convince people to buy new stuff anyway" marketing push. Outside of a controlled environment, 99% of people just aren't going to see a difference between 10-12 bit and standard 8-bit colour.
    While 4k is nice, we've only just got to the point on PC where you can run it without sacrificing everything else in the highest end enthusiast cards, it'll still be a few years before it's available in mainstream tech and even then you're getting to the point where increased resolution becomes meaningless to the resolving power of human vision (this depends a lot on the size of your screen and distance you view it from) for most users the difference between 2.5k and 4k is going to be negligible.
    This has nothing to do with your last comment of "It's marketing spin. Sorry." when referring to 4k and HDR. Which are very real and current technologies with countless content to match.

If you really believe that people will not see the difference in 4k content vs 1080p, HDR content vs non HDR, 10bit colour vs 8bit. Time for a new job.

6. Post
    |icED-e@RtH| wrote:
    Looks ..... generic.

7. Post
    Anywhere in Auckland to get games resurfaced?

8. Post
    Mario Kart VR (arcade only) looks pretty fun

9. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    This has nothing to do with your last comment of "It's marketing spin. Sorry." when referring to 4k and HDR. Which are very real and current technologies with countless content to match.
    3D is also a very real and current technology. Fact remains 99% of big budget hollywood blockbusters are still being mastered in 2k, rec709 colourspace. Almost all currently available 4k blu rays are upscales (I think planet earth II is one of the very few notable actual 4k mastered releases?) and compressed colour subsampling, effectively wasting any benefit from the resolution and colour depth capabilities. Your "countless content to match" argument is lacking substance. I do believe this will change in the upcoming years though. But to me, for now, 4k isn't yet worth it, and when there is the content to make it worthwhile, display tech will likely have improved again.

If you really believe that people will not see the difference in 4k content vs 1080p,.
    when did I say anything like that?

HDR content vs non HDR, 10bit colour vs 8bit. Time for a new job.
    The problem lies in that most people don't actually know what HDR or 8/10bit colour actually means, I'll give you a clue, it doesn't actually mean more saturated or intense colours which is what the marketing spin is selling. It's referring to the increased graduation of tones available inbetween 0 and 100% colour saturation/luminance. This kind of image:
    is the grossly misleading marketing BS that I'm against, and really just conflating it with the extra localised pixel brightness range available in modern TVs (Which is actually cool tech, since washed out blacks and light bleed have been a problem with LCD panels since their inception) But for the most part, TVs are just using their own image processing effects using that to simulate the wider range that's not actually present in the content medium, like I said it's similar to beats headphones using their own equalizer to give them their own "sound colour" if you like that, cool, but I'd rather watch things more true to their source, admittedly am a bit biased here
    But hey yeah, I'll take job advice on colour science from a product manager from the internet.

EDIT: smaller less obnoxious image example
    Last edited by Feliz; 13th July 2017 at 4:44 pm.

10. Post
    Feliz wrote:
    3D is also a very real and current technology. Fact remains 99% of big budget hollywood blockbusters are still being mastered in 2k. Almost all currently available 4k blu rays are upscales (I think planet earth II is one of the very few notable actual 4k mastered releases?), Your "countless content to match" argument is lacking substance. I do believe this will change in the upcoming years though. But to me, for now, 4k isn't yet worth it, and when there is the content to make it worthwhile, display tech will have improved again.

when did I say anything like that?

The problem lies in that most people don't actually know what HDR or 8/10bit colour actually means, I'll give you a clue, it doesn't actually mean more saturated or intense colours which is what the marketing spin is selling. It's referring to the increased graduation of tones available inbetween 0 and 100% colour saturation/luminance. This kind of image:
    is the grossly misleading marketing BS that I'm against, and really just conflating it with the extra localised pixel brightness range available in modern TVs (Which is actually cool tech, since washed out blacks and light bleed have been a problem with LCD panels since their inception)
    But hey yeah, I'll take job advice on colour science from a product manager.

EDIT: smaller less obnoxious image example
    I agree the marketing pics are utter rubbish, but that refers to every thing ever... its a pretty tough thing to explain with images, you have to see it yourself. So ignore the marketing spiel, go into a store and see it.

http://realorfake4k.com/my-product_category/real4k/ - These movies were digitally shot in 4K or the original 35/70mm film negative was scanned in 4K. That's a fair whack.
    Netflix aims to have 44 true 4K filmed, HDR shows out by mid 2018.
    Youtube has thousands of true 4K films.
    Amazon Prime is working on multiple 4K/HDR shows.
    There are many more as well... even Bollywood is getting involved. What about live sport? UFC is now true 4k, Boxing fights are in 4k, the surfing league this year is 4K, NFL will be 4K next year.

There is a lot of content and its growing exponentionally, if you were to buy non-4k, non-HDR TV, you're truly hindering yourself from available and near future content.
    10bit and 12bit content are a bit further away, but won't be long.

Yes, I used to be a TV product manager, working with the testing labs in korea , the manfucturing plants in vietnam, also being the content manager for Netflix, Universal, Amazon etc - I'm glad that you've taken my advice.
    Please stop spewing your nonsense that it's ALL MARKETING GARBAGE. The technologies are here, they're ready and they're magnificent.

11. Post
    This is a great (and quick) read:

The $5,000 decision to get rid of my past

"When someone becomes a void, itís never a good idea to get too close. Itís too easy to be sucked in, especially when itís someone you care about." Oof.

(I really liked Ben Kuchera when he was at Penny Arcade, but at Polygon I've found him mostly insufferable. This piece is super good though.)

12. Post
    So you agree there is nothing using the actual HDR capabilities, so you agree there i no noticable difference between an 8-bit and 10-bit display with today's media? I can see why you'd get incensed at my earlier glib comments Just to note I didn't mean to say "If you need to buy a TV now, don't bother with 4k" but "you don't need to upgrade to 4k yet".
    We've strayed pretty far from the original talk about consoles and PC gaming in 4k HDR though, which as my earlier point, are still lacking in the ability to render fast enough at that resolution.

Also that site is atrociously slow, but good to know I can see Annie and The Ugly Truth in such detail! Despite being shot in 5k+, I can say for sure that IResurgence and the Warner pack on there were definitely mastered in 2k though EDIT: the term "mastering" seems to be used loosely there - not sure if they're talking about the DCP delivery that would have been projected in theatres? because they have "4k mastered" films in the "shot in 2k" category - but it does at least say 'Typically, if the film has VFX it was rendered in 2K", which is the truth I'm talking about (Would like to know if Rogue one was actually rendered and mastered in 4k, don't know anyone who worked on it and it would be cool if true).. I think I'll stay working in media content creation and delivery though
    Last edited by Feliz; 13th July 2017 at 5:48 pm.

13. Post
    Your arguments are more relevant in AV. For gaming, well i started playing in 1440p nearly five years ago now and I'll take resolution over some arbitrarily labelled settings any day. For 4k yeah you'll want to have a high end GPU but if you're willing to do that then literally all of the content benefits already. So you can hopefully understand why people don't accept your label of it being a gimmick.

14. Post
    lumpy custard wrote:
    Your arguments are more relevant in AV. For gaming, well i started playing in 1440p nearly five years ago now and I'll take resolution over some arbitrarily labelled settings any day. For 4k yeah you'll want to have a high end GPU but if you're willing to do that then literally all of the content benefits already. So you can hopefully understand why people don't accept your label of it being a gimmick.
    True, my original comments were in response to the Xbox buzzwording

15. Post
    Going to get an HDR monitor for gaming asap, come at me.

16. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Going to get an HDR monitor for gaming asap, come at me.
    I'm going to buy an HDR gaming laptop once one is avaliable, come at me +1

17. Post
    So is 1080p pure garbage now? Do I need to upgrade my retinas?

18. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    This is a great (and quick) read:

The $5,000 decision to get rid of my past

"When someone becomes a void, itís never a good idea to get too close. Itís too easy to be sucked in, especially when itís someone you care about." Oof.
    Crawling in my skin
    These wounds they will not heal
    Fear is how I fall
    Confusing what is real

(I really liked Ben Kuchera when he was at Penny Arcade, but at Polygon I've found him mostly insufferable. This piece is super good though.)
    The man condones paedophilia, screw him.

19. Post

20. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    So is 1080p pure garbage now? Do I need to upgrade my retinas?
    It's not pure garbage, as it's still the only resolution with guarantee everything will work smoothly with no hassle.

Let the beta testers break in 4k a bit longer, until the prices drop down to mainstream affordable levels.

What you're ideally looking for is affordable 4k with ALL the new features and full optimisation from game devs while a single mid range card can provide high settings.

Just like 1060 is the king for 1080p 60hz.

21. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    [I]
    The man condones paedophilia, screw him.
    I find this difficult to believe

22. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Do I need to upgrade my retinas?
    KevinL probably knows a guy

23. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    KevinL probably knows a guy
    That's Racist!

24. Post

25. Post
    Matt M wrote: