Next Gen Playstation ("PS4")

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)

1. Post
    It makes you wonder why a third party didn't produce the boomerang or bananarang controller for PS3. Instead a bunch of cheap imitation DS3 (incl. the wired edition) were made by third parties. Hopefully this newly designed controller is not going to be too heavy. I'm not a fan of heavy controllers.

2. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    WHy the **** would they change the controller?
    Cause people have opinions and wanted change. Look what has happen to the PSN store. People didn't like it and Sony listen to their cries and look at the GREAT change the store has become! (note: sarcasm)

3. Post
    mexi001 wrote:
    PlayStation's 16-year tradition of DualShock controllers will come to an end. New controllers are being built with the release of the PS4.

New controllers are currently being tested in preparation for the launch of the PS4. The new controller will have biometric sensors on the grips, and a LCD touch-screen. They are trying to replicate some of the PS Vita features, as they explained, "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita." The new controllers could possibly be used as secondary controllers.

Many companies like Valve are interested in the controllers features. For example, Valve is interested in the biometric sensors, which functions as a heart beat sensor.

Extracted from http://www.nextgenupdate.com/news/cv...LROiZtg8YAz.99
    "CVG Sources". Hmm.

4. Post

5. Post
    I read somewhere those are specs from the dev kit.

Assuming the dedicated gfx (GDDR5?) memory also applies to the PS4 itself, then I wish Sony would ship the thing with a minimum of 16GB (main/non-GPU) RAM, preferably more. It'll probably be DDR3. Meaning it (the memory) will be as cheap as chips in a couple of years time.

Bah, just shove 32GB in there Kazuo. Don't get owned a 2nd time - it may be your last.

6. Post
    Sony just teased 20th Feb as the possible announcement date for a new console.

7. Post
    This is exactly what happened with the vita, the vita got its own exclusive event. I guess they want to announce the ps4 before e3 so e3 can be all about the games.

8. Post
    Wonder if Microsoft will show their next console soon (before E3) if Sony do end up revealing the PS4.

9. Post
    I don't think they would, Microsoft generally reveals the console during E3

10. Post
    lorenzen wrote:
    This is exactly what happened with the vita, the vita got its own exclusive event. I guess they want to announce the ps4 before e3 so e3 can be all about the games.
    I'm not sure. As much as I'd like it to be console reveal, a comment from Kazuo Hirai say's no. "When quizzed on the appearance of the next PlayStation by The Times, Hirai was cagey.

“Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?” he said."

Source

That's not to say it's not some sort of reveal for the next gen console though, it may be software related, which won't reveal specs etc.

11. Post
    That's such a silly comment though. Doubt they can make any drastic changes this this far down into the development cycle as a response to a competitor. It's takes years of R&D to develop a console.

12. Post
    The Defragger wrote:
    That's such a silly comment though. Doubt they can make any drastic changes this this far down into the development cycle as a response to a competitor. It's takes years of R&D to develop a console.
    Yeah I know, I did feel it was a bit absurd. Although some things such as HDD size or type could be changed late in the piece without affecting performance I guess.

13. Post
    True. Guess we will find out soon.

14. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    That's not to say it's not some sort of reveal for the next gen console though, it may be software related, which won't reveal specs etc.
    Yeah, probably just to announce the PS4 is coming and show of the games but with no real specs.

Only reason I see at the moment for me to put some money in towards a PS4 is say BF4 to be a launch/near launch title. Or otherwise my PC will have to get some more loving I wouldn't get it on PS3

15. Post
    The Defragger wrote:
    I think this time around, Sony (and MS) have just gone for "off-the-shelf" for CPU/GPU/memory (i.e. no R, no cell, no last-minute GPU), so perhaps Hirai means they might up the memory (if not unified then either CPU or GPU or both), and/or the GPU itself.

Considering the GPU for all 3 next gen consoles come from the same manufacturer (and the fact that AMD develops GPUs for the PC market as well), I'd imagine the R&D cost for the GPU for each console maker is relatively low.

Devs are simply coding to an API, so there's scope for the underlying hardware spec to change. The current dev kits aren't the finished item - they're just PC's I think, and I'm guessing there's not much (if any) cross-compiling since the CPU architecture is the same.

16. Post
    Interesting...it was a given that they had to do a separate announcement - especially after the disaster of E3 2005. I'd imagine it is going to be pretty vague without much details - probably a few renders and some launch window titles with the full reveal and info being at E3.

I'd imagine some suits at Microsoft suddenly are going to be a little frazzled and maybe bringing forward their announcement a few months (i expect they were going to have a similar announcement event a la the MTV event they did to announce the 360)

Either way - so excited!

17. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    Yeah, probably just to announce the PS4 is coming and show of the games but with no real specs.

Only reason I see at the moment for me to put some money in towards a PS4 is say BF4 to be a launch/near launch title. Or otherwise my PC will have to get some more loving I wouldn't get it on PS3
    I think BF4 will be a given along CoD Future warfare (my title and content speculation only).

18. Post
    XSpike wrote:

Wouldn't worry BF is going the way of CoD.

19. Post
    Probably be an announcement for a home replacement, but a PS4 reveal/info would be tasty.

20. Post
    Won't be investing in a PS4 until at least a year after it's released.

21. Post
    Also sounds like it says four, when the announcement date shows up just after then PS symbol it says "four" but hidden like, a longer one when the announcement disappears. Noticed when I went to the EU blog and had the trailer playing while I was reading the comments and thought it sounded like four.

22. Post
    Yes/No?

23. Post
    Yuk.

Gimme a dual shock any day.

24. Post
    would really like to see a controller with a different style.

25. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Yuk.

Gimme a dual shock any day.
    My thought too.

If that's real, looks too fat, much like the Duke controller for the original Xbox lol