Next Gen Playstation ("PS4")

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 8,401 to 8,409 of 8409

1. Post
    I'll probably wait a year or so before I jump into the next generation; by then there will be a larger pool of games, plus time for any technical issues to be identified and dealt with. I'm always late to the party, though. I was still playing games on my PS2 when the PS4 came out ... at which point I finally decided to upgrade to the PS3. I didn't jump into the current generation until mid 2017.

2. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I'll probably do my usual thing & get it 1 or 2 years after launch when its comes down in price. When you look back at previous generations most launch games are meh anyway. Only way I'd get it at launch if it came out with an exclusive that I had to play day 1.
    Which is unlikely because of adoption rates
    For a game to be considered a success these days it needs to sell several million units at minimum
    No one wants to launch a AAA exclusives on launch because no matter how good it is the sales will always be hamstrung

Here is a good example

Bloodborne launch in 2015 and sold 2 million units. By the end of 2015 the total number of PS4 consoles sold worldwide was 35.36 million

That means in 2015 only 5.7% of PS4 owners bought bloodborne, but the adoption rate of PS4 consoles was enough for the game to still sell millions of units to make it a commercial success

For reference the PS4 sold 4.2million units in year 1

Let's assume the PS5 sells 4.2 million units in year 1 and Bloodborne 2 launches in year 1
    Bloodborne2 sells only 239 thousand units, making it a commercial failure

3. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Which is unlikely because of adoption rates
    For a game to be considered a success these days it needs to sell several million units at minimum
    No one wants to launch a AAA exclusives on launch because no matter how good it is the sales will always be hamstrung

Here is a good example

Bloodborne launch in 2015 and sold 2 million units. By the end of 2015 the total number of PS4 consoles sold worldwide was 35.36 million

That means in 2015 only 5.7% of PS4 owners bought bloodborne, but the adoption rate of PS4 consoles was enough for the game to still sell millions of units to make it a commercial success

For reference the PS4 sold 4.2million units in year 1

Let's assume the PS5 sells 4.2 million units in year 1 and Bloodborne 2 launches in year 1
    Bloodborne2 sells only 239 thousand units, making it a commercial failure
    Yeah good point. I'm in no rush anyway. I'm still happy with my Pro & 1080p TV lol. Once a killer exclusive comes out for the PS5 I'll be all over it though.

4. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The PS1, PS2 and PS3 all had mid life new models like the slim etc
    Yeah but weren't those just revisions to save on manufacturing costs?

The Pro and XB1X are actual upgrades and pretty sure this is the first time it's happened? Correct me if I'm wrong

5. Post
    kyokei wrote:

The Pro and XB1X are actual upgrades and pretty sure this is the first time it's happened? Correct me if I'm wrong
    No, you're correct.

6. Post
    kyokei wrote:

Very true. There is, however, the Nintendo DS, which has been improved several times within its lifespan. Plus things like the Sega CD/32x upgrades for the Megadrive, and the ram upgrade for the Nintendo 64... The current mid-generation solution is much neater.

7. Post
    Frederick is right, slimline consoles with the same hardware specs have always been the norm for home consoles.
    Mountain Slayr wrote:
    I think the problem (well not really a problem) is that it isnt 5+ years before the next model... most of us want the latest version, there was PS4 then PS4 slim and then Pro so slightly newer/better versions every couple of years.
    Colinnola wrote:
    Very true. There is, however, the Nintendo DS, which has been improved several times within its lifespan. Plus things like the Sega CD/32x upgrades for the Megadrive, and the ram upgrade for the Nintendo 64... The current mid-generation solution is much neater.

The mid-gen refresh consoles with upgraded specs I'd say were very much an anomaly, not the norm. They filled the demand from content producers and TV hardware manufacturers for having a game machine to sell 4K TVs and 4K TV/movies streaming content. Netflix asked Sony for a 4K capable PS4, that's why there was the Pro.

The Sega CD/32x were also anomalies IMO. CD-ROM was a cutting edge high capacity storage medium which things possible in games which weren't possible prior. 32X was a budget alternative to getting a 32-bit Saturn console.

jords wrote:
    says the "grown ass man" that doesn't have a life outside of video games and this forum.

*shrug*
    Sounds like you're salty because you're chained down by your life choices. I spend my time and money however the f*ck I like, unlike "yes dear" simps and breeder losers.

8. Post
    What’s a breeder loser
    Must be some weeboo thing

9. Post
    Cut it out or there will be holidays handed out.