Next Gen Playstation ("PS4")

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 8,401 to 8,425 of 8440

1. Post
    I'll probably wait a year or so before I jump into the next generation; by then there will be a larger pool of games, plus time for any technical issues to be identified and dealt with. I'm always late to the party, though. I was still playing games on my PS2 when the PS4 came out ... at which point I finally decided to upgrade to the PS3. I didn't jump into the current generation until mid 2017.

2. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I'll probably do my usual thing & get it 1 or 2 years after launch when its comes down in price. When you look back at previous generations most launch games are meh anyway. Only way I'd get it at launch if it came out with an exclusive that I had to play day 1.
    Which is unlikely because of adoption rates
    For a game to be considered a success these days it needs to sell several million units at minimum
    No one wants to launch a AAA exclusives on launch because no matter how good it is the sales will always be hamstrung

Here is a good example

Bloodborne launch in 2015 and sold 2 million units. By the end of 2015 the total number of PS4 consoles sold worldwide was 35.36 million

That means in 2015 only 5.7% of PS4 owners bought bloodborne, but the adoption rate of PS4 consoles was enough for the game to still sell millions of units to make it a commercial success

For reference the PS4 sold 4.2million units in year 1

Let's assume the PS5 sells 4.2 million units in year 1 and Bloodborne 2 launches in year 1
    Bloodborne2 sells only 239 thousand units, making it a commercial failure

3. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Which is unlikely because of adoption rates
    For a game to be considered a success these days it needs to sell several million units at minimum
    No one wants to launch a AAA exclusives on launch because no matter how good it is the sales will always be hamstrung

Here is a good example

Bloodborne launch in 2015 and sold 2 million units. By the end of 2015 the total number of PS4 consoles sold worldwide was 35.36 million

That means in 2015 only 5.7% of PS4 owners bought bloodborne, but the adoption rate of PS4 consoles was enough for the game to still sell millions of units to make it a commercial success

For reference the PS4 sold 4.2million units in year 1

Let's assume the PS5 sells 4.2 million units in year 1 and Bloodborne 2 launches in year 1
    Bloodborne2 sells only 239 thousand units, making it a commercial failure
    Yeah good point. I'm in no rush anyway. I'm still happy with my Pro & 1080p TV lol. Once a killer exclusive comes out for the PS5 I'll be all over it though.

4. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The PS1, PS2 and PS3 all had mid life new models like the slim etc
    Yeah but weren't those just revisions to save on manufacturing costs?

The Pro and XB1X are actual upgrades and pretty sure this is the first time it's happened? Correct me if I'm wrong

5. Post
    kyokei wrote:

The Pro and XB1X are actual upgrades and pretty sure this is the first time it's happened? Correct me if I'm wrong
    No, you're correct.

6. Post
    kyokei wrote:

Very true. There is, however, the Nintendo DS, which has been improved several times within its lifespan. Plus things like the Sega CD/32x upgrades for the Megadrive, and the ram upgrade for the Nintendo 64... The current mid-generation solution is much neater.

7. Post
    Frederick is right, slimline consoles with the same hardware specs have always been the norm for home consoles.
    Mountain Slayr wrote:
    I think the problem (well not really a problem) is that it isnt 5+ years before the next model... most of us want the latest version, there was PS4 then PS4 slim and then Pro so slightly newer/better versions every couple of years.
    Colinnola wrote:
    Very true. There is, however, the Nintendo DS, which has been improved several times within its lifespan. Plus things like the Sega CD/32x upgrades for the Megadrive, and the ram upgrade for the Nintendo 64... The current mid-generation solution is much neater.

The mid-gen refresh consoles with upgraded specs I'd say were very much an anomaly, not the norm. They filled the demand from content producers and TV hardware manufacturers for having a game machine to sell 4K TVs and 4K TV/movies streaming content. Netflix asked Sony for a 4K capable PS4, that's why there was the Pro.

The Sega CD/32x were also anomalies IMO. CD-ROM was a cutting edge high capacity storage medium which things possible in games which weren't possible prior. 32X was a budget alternative to getting a 32-bit Saturn console.

jords wrote:
    says the "grown ass man" that doesn't have a life outside of video games and this forum.

*shrug*
    Sounds like you're salty because you're chained down by your life choices. I spend my time and money however the f*ck I like, unlike "yes dear" simps and breeder losers.

8. Post
    What’s a breeder loser
    Must be some weeboo thing

9. Post
    Cut it out or there will be holidays handed out.

10. Post
    Realm Royale {yes another battle royale) available for free on psn. Its by HiRez who did Paladins. Kinda like fortnite but with classes, horses and a weapon + skill foundary. Not bad, not great, but I loved Paladins (still play on Switch) so gave it a crack.

Oh yeah and killing a player turns them into a chicken giving them a chance to get away, pretty lol.

11. Post
    Not worthy of its own topic, but does someone by chance have Diablo 3 on Ps4?

My mate and I have recently bought it. We played the tail end of last season together. Then a new patch came with the new season and we can't seem to play together anymore. He can't even invite me and he is unable to connect to host if I invite him. Only way we can play together is if we search for a public game and find the same one. Which is shit. Want to add someone and see if I can direct play with them and possibly do the same for my mate to see if the problem is with both of us, one of us, or something that only happens between us.

12. Post
    Yeah man, I have it - flick me a friend request: Face-AcheNZ

13. Post
    After over a week of the problem we managed to play together yesterday. I'll add ya anyway though.

14. Post
    Anyone get into the Dreams beta? I kept checking my emails but just hopped onto my PS4 and it's been in my library since Saturday.. don't know how long the beta is running for

Edit: I'm an idiot google says Feb 4

15. Post
    I did. These are some of my fav levels so far that people have created within 1 month. Missing a few other good creations, still 30 of them in this vid, the name of the levels are in the description if you want to try them out.

16. Post
    Apex Legends is available now for free. Coz you needed another Battle Royale. Downloading now and will jam it later.

17. Post
    Looks awesome check out this stream on Twitch for some good gameplay

https://www.twitch.tv/shroud

18. Post
    I've just finished the tutorial, will try a proper match later. The movement feels great and the characters seem pretty varied and interesting to try out. The ability to bring back dead team mates is a neat risk reward feature.

19. Post
    looks cool.

Downloading to PS4 now, will have a jam before my wow raid tonight.

Oh its Waitangi Day tomorrow. So will get to have a good jam tomorrow

20. Post
    Played a couple of rounds, it's not bad, I really like some of the mechanics like shared squad drops, pinging items and enemies and the ability to thank your squad mates.

21. Post
    How big is the download? Keen to play this tonight but my ADSL connection sux

22. Post
    It's like 23gb or something but allowed me to play at a lower quality while the bulk of the game downloaded in the background.

23. Post

24. Post
    EA access might finally be coming to ps4 this year.

Earlier this fiscal year we added a new frontline tier to our subscription offerings for PC players, and in the year ahead we plan to offer a subscription service on another major platform.

25. Post
    rez, Dark_Hadou, Frederick & Grim(?)

https://beta.software.eu.playstation.com/en-gb/dreams

Sign up for Dreams early access, will still cost money if you get in $60-$80 nzd I guess, €30pound. / Will also give you access to the full game once its out. Space is limited.

More details over at PSBlog

Shh Eva, game is awesome who cares if its taking ages. Plenty of good reasons why its taken so long.