1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Nice review there GP. When the announced co-op, I struggled to see how they could add co-op into the series, to me it's just Isaac on his own, with the occasional help. Kinda nice to see co-op doesn't have a big influence on the game.

The micro-transactions do (to me) look like EA has it's hands down Visceral's pants, or they're trying to cash in on the so far successful series. Good to see this also doesn't break the game.

For being scary, if you've played the first two, then you will be familiar that the game is scary and how the necro's attack, so I'm not too bothered how you guys feel it's lost it's horror factor. It was bound to happen.

I look forward to playing Dead Space 3 and will keep an open mind to it. Hopefully Visceral is taking notes of the reviews. They don't need to go down the route of Call of Duty with Dead Space and milk it.

3. Post
    Yeah the loss of the oppressive atmosphere and horror was the single biggest issue for me. Just another franchise raped to death by EA. Trying to appeal to the masses always means a lesser experience for the core audience. Such a shame as DS1 was great and DS2 was pretty good too.

4. Post
    It really disappoints me that they don't understand that the only reason the original entry sold and did so well was because it was a survival horror title.

Instead of ruining franchises that exist in a different genre, maybe they would like to use a new franchise if they completely change the direction the game is going in?

If this was my baby, I'd be pretty disappointed. In fact, I am disappointed because Dead Space was my alternative to Resident Evil since that went down the shitter - unfortunately it seems like this series has gone down the same path.

Moving forward, Resident Evil Revelations being released on the major consoles keeps the survhor fan in me relatively pleased that we haven't been entirely forgotten and cast aside to appease the bro gamers.

5. Post
    I still think the way you had to kill enemies was a blessing and a curse to this franchise, It was innovative and interesting at first but I found that it ultimately sapped the horror out of the game - made every encounter after the first dozen or so forumulaic so you became more focused on the mechanic over the atmosphere.

6. Post
    Bt wrote:
    It really disappoints me that they don't understand that the only reason the original entry sold and did so well was because it was a survival horror title.
    It wasnt tho. The first game gave you far too much health and ammo to be classed survival. Even on the hardest difficulty.
    It was always an Action game with Horror elements. It was just the best(and only decent) horror game of the time. Siren Blood Curse is the only proper Survival Horror I can think of this gen that worth playing.

7. Post
    entensity wrote:
    It wasnt tho. The first game gave you far too much health and ammo to be classed survival. Even on the hardest difficulty.
    It was always an Action game with Horror elements. It was just the best(and only decent) horror game of the time. Siren Blood Curse is the only proper Survival Horror I can think of this gen that worth playing.
    For me survival horror is all about atmosphere and story more so than how spare ammo dumps are. Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Siren series, Fatal Frame etc are all Survival Horror. Dead Space definitely rides the razor's edge regarding it but I'd firmly put it in survhor purely because of the story elements and atmosphere.

8. Post
    Bt wrote:
    For me survival horror is all about atmosphere and story more so than how spare ammo dumps are. Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Siren series, Fatal Frame etc are all Survival Horror. Dead Space definitely rides the razor's edge regarding it but I'd firmly put it in survhor purely because of the story elements and atmosphere.
    For me survival horror is about surviving against the odds.
    I would lump re4,5,6, Condemned, Fear and Dead Space as action games just with horror elements as your given such power that its less about survival and more about scares

We need a good thriller game.

Having said that i am about half way through DS3. I like it alot. Especially co op. The effects on each other are great. Its not as good as DS1 but I would say its better the DS2

9. Post
    entensity wrote:
    I would lump re4,5,6, Condemned, Fear and Dead Space as action games just with horror elements as your given such power that its less about survival and more about scares
    For me RE4 is a survival horror game whereas RE5 and 6 are action games with horror elements. Dead Space 1 is a survival horror, where as DS 2 is a horror with action elements. Funny how different people get different things from different games. Survival horror isn't really a clearly defined genre, apparently.

I'm still going to thrash this game.

10. Post
    Bt wrote:

I'm still going to thrash this game.
    You should. Its surprisingly good

11. Post
    Still looks to be a decent game although it lost much of it's horror appeal. I will definitely put it on my list of games to play and pick it up on a Steam sale or after a price drop for console.

12. Post
    Finished it today, had a blast even without touching co-op. (mainly because my ps3 is behind a strict NAT and I've tried everything to get it to change with no luck.)
    love that almost all of the weapons are still modification's on engineering tools.

also, you won't see it on steam being a EA game, maybe if they have a sale on Origin, otherwise your stuck with it on console.

well worth the money and time investment as far as i'm concerned.

13. Post
    Its OK. Certainly the weakest entry by a long long margin.
    The scares are even cheaper than DS2 and the tension is non existent. Its a solid action horror game, but dont expect the atmosphere of the previous entries.

Just another franchise EA shat on so the mouthbreathers will like it more.

They could have kept the story but emphasised the tension and dread, but the addition of being able to build ammo and the focus on run and gun broke the core part of the game for me. Not once was I scared or had any fear of being killed.

Its solid but really lacking as a horror game.

14. Post
    Wow, does EA have to homogenise every franchise that it gets?

15. Post
    Just picked up the game the other day and I am pretty gutted at what they've done to the game. I'm not on the planet yet, still picking up bits for the pod . However, going through the ships, I've felt no atmosphere of being on an abandoned space ship. I am not very fond of how the Neco's come in packs, always in packs and that they also attack from behind.

The music at times does not suit this game, when exploring for some supplies, I don't want music playing, I want to be taken in by the echo's of my foot steps and feel a little on edge of not know what's going to happen.

Also having TWO regenerating Nechro's is a pain! I was really pissed that when after refuelling the Pod thing and Ellie manages to start the launch sequence, which has the engine's starting to fire and you have to avoid being burnt to a chrisp. WHY DO THE Nechro's that regenerate NOT take any form of damage of the heat form the engine's?? They just walk on through like it doesn't exist..

Why has Ellie become quite a feminine girl?? She was pretty rugged and tough in Dead Space 2, with a bit of an attitude. Where did that go?

I know I'm not far into it, but it's been a struggle to get into it and enjoy..

16. Post
    The homogeneity of EA's titles is becoming more and more intolerable. While I liked DS3 it was in spite of the changes rather than because of them. Its amazing how such subtle differences can destroy what made the first game so effective.

DS3 is a fun action horror title, but unlike DS1 and to a lesser degree DS2 its not scary at all, and there is no tension. The monsters arent scary as they are thrown at you in waves. Its a shame EA decided to appeal to the idiotic mouthbreathers on this title.

17. Post
    Prefer this game to Dead Space 2, which felt to me like a a slightly polished retread of the first one. Yes its more action oriented but I found the change refreshing.

/Edit personally I would have liked the series to be an anthology rather than a continuation following one (bland) character.

18. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Its a shame EA decided to appeal to the idiotic mouthbreathers on this title.

19. Post
    ^

I see what you did there!

20. Post
    Hahaha thats exactly what I was thinking cryo when I read that comment

21. Post
    Burn - Dead space 2 was a natural progression to 3, more wide open areas and fights which involved waves of enemies (from what I recall its been a while), which reduces the scare factor when one monster is less effective. I loved surviving the Ishimura, but a story which involves fighting unitology squads lends itself more to action than survival.